nagrom4881
Itsallovernow

Should schools have unifroms?

Con Tied Pro

nagrom4881

Con

Hello everyone! Thanks for reading this debate and thank you to my opponent for accepting my challenge. I would like to debate like they do in the movie, "The Great Debaters" (BEST MOVIE EVER!). I think it's the best way to debate.
I will begin.

It was Robert Burton who said, "Out of to much learning become mad." Schools are the core of civilization. They teach our youth skills they will need for survival. Children need a way to exspress themselves. The easiest way to do that is to dress how we want! School Uniforms are cruel. They take away a students right to freedom of dress! People say that uniforms prevent bulling, but the truth is that at schools where uniforms are present, children are 25% more likely to get bullied based on apperance. Children don't care about uniforms and would rather be able to have freedom to choose their own clothing!
Older kids who have uniforms (Mainly middle school and high school students) would be more likely to dress in an innapropriate manner if uniforms were issued. Its part of the rebelious stage of life. Its naturaly.

Giving kids unifoms is like saying, "You have no rights anymore and you don't matter to us." Do you want your kids to be exsposed to that cruelty?

Resources: google.ca =)
Itsallovernow

Pro

Hello, Con, and I thank you for the debate.

My opponent uses a sound, valid quote from a well-educated scholar of Oxford University (located in England). I do agree with it myself. However, I do not agree with the fact that clothing is the only way of expression in school, and I do believe that there are other, more meaningful methods of expression. Also, and I will elaborate, making uniforms mandatory will help schools overall.

=Rebuttals=

1. "Children need a way to exspress themselves. The easiest way to do that is to dress how we want!"
Indeed, this is, in fact, the easiest way to do that, assuming that you already have the clothes you need to "express" yourself. However, is it the most effective? Is it more effective than, let's say, art class? No. Just because something is convient, does not nessicarily mean that it is the most effective method. In this, the art classes that the schools generally provide is a more effective method than clothing.

2. "School Uniforms are cruel. They take away a students right to freedom of dress!"
More often than not, the schools that require uniforms are private schools. However, the child usually does not have a say in whether or not they attend a private or public school. So, the school doesn't take away that "right", your parents do.

3. "People say that uniforms prevent bulling, but the truth is that at schools where uniforms are present, children are 25% more likely to get bullied based on apperance."
I fail to see how if everyone else looks the same. In public schools, the same criticality of beauty and looks is pressured. The boys must prove their masculitiy, the women must prove that they have the most appeal, commercials on teen shows target the audience with ads of make-up, lotion, cologne, and other such accessories that claim to give you instantanious beauty. (I'd like to see your source on that one, please.)

4. "Children don't care about uniforms and would rather be able to have freedom to choose their own clothing!"
Surely you don't mean all children. Reguardless, I would also like to see your source on this, just to make sure that you aren't confusing your emotions with this debate. I am living proof against that, for I think we should have uniforms.

5. "Older kids who have uniforms (Mainly middle school and high school students) would be more likely to dress in an innapropriate manner if uniforms were issued."
Actually, this is a common misconception. Those who don't wear uniforms, don't attend the school. If they arrive, they are deported and repetitive offenders, I would imagine, would miss so much school that they couldn't even pass the year, therefore not being an offical student.

6. "Giving kids unifoms is like saying, "You have no rights anymore and you don't matter to us." Do you want your kids to be exsposed to that cruelty?"
Actually, that is not like taking away all of their rights. All that it does, is limit their expression in clothing. Public school students cannot even abide by the dress code at my school, Huntington High. They wear Rebel Flags, alchohol and tobacco product attire, nudity (yes, I've seen it), and they wear revealing clothing. Implementing uniforms would eliminate this issue.

=Contentions=

1. Compulsitory uniforms would improve student function at home and school.

These uniforms would obliterate gang affilated signs, in which I have also seen at my school (304 Boyz. The number is our area code. Also, "The Wolf Pack" I witnessed in elementary school {I swear I do not embellish. They drew a cruddy wolf on a Post-It stickey note and put it on their hearts}). If they eliminate these signs, the students will have nothing to associate themselves with, and since gangs must recruit, it would prove near impossible under scrutiny of the school and parents with nothing to identify themselves to the public. Thus, they would not join or be more apt to quit. This would more than likely improve their school preformance and etiquette overall, earning them the favor of parents.

2. Uniforms can still hold expression
I have heard stories of students designing school uniforms and dress codes for any possible accessories, with approval by the school (Example: http://www.educationworld.com...). Thusly, students can wear modern, stylish, practical, and appropriate clothing that allows them to be more comfortable in their envoirnments. Thusly, this improves their security in school so they can preform their school duties with a realtive peace of mind. Besides, they don't have to let the students mix business with pleasure. The fact that those who do shows that, yes, they DO care.

3. Uniforms are cost efficent.
Usually, school uniforms are included when parents pay for private school tuition. When they become worn and torn, the school replaces them or refits them for the student. Thusly, the parents do not spend as much on the child's clothing, leaving more money to support their child with more luxuries than buying them clothing (possibly a vactation!).

In conclusion, schools should most definately have uniforms because they improve student function, they DO have expression, and they are cost efficent.

Thusly, I strongly urge a PRO vote.
nagrom4881

Con

Hello again Pro, and your welcome for the debate, I am actually trying this for my friend and am on the oppisite side I wish to be on but I am doing this soley for research so I'm okay with it =) And please exscuse the poorness of my first argument, I was at school and did not have much time.

I will begin with my rebuttals.

=Rebuttals=

1.) "In this, the art classes that the schools generally provide is a more effective method than clothing"
I agree to somewhat of a degree. Art class is an effective way to relieve stress and exspress your inner feelings, however, clothing can be used as a more meaningful way of exspression. Some kids are not good at art and some schools don't even have the program accessible to kids!(Trust me, I know this one) So clothing would be a better way to exspress. Besides, with art, only a few people will see it. But with clothes everyone might see it.

2.)
Itsallovernow

Pro

Hello, Con!

I'll first start with my opponents rebuttal:

=Opponents Rebuttal=

1. If the school does have an art program, then that is great, and art is a much more personalized, effective way to express yourself with those avidly following the same goal. Thus, you recieve more satisfaction when they notice your hard work and dedication. Also, the grade that you recieve, if you do you work properly, will make you feel good as well. Skill of art is debatable. I've seen paint splashes sell for thousands. Besides, it doesn't matter if a person is good or bad at art, as long as they are expressing themselves, they are happy. Another thing they could do is choir. Let's look at American Idol. Many people stink on that show, but they enjoy expressing themselves regardless.

You state "With art, only a few people will see it. But with clothes everyone might see it." That sounds like the persons motive is not expresion, but attention. Therefore, it does not follow this debate. What if I decided to wear a shirt depiciting nude art? My own school wouldn't allow that, nor a private school. However, with art, you can create whatever you want, as long as the idea is maintained that you act in self-expression.

2.) ???

I strongly urge a

=PRO VOTE=
nagrom4881

Con

nagrom4881 forfeited this round.
Itsallovernow

Pro

My opponent forfieted. Arguements are extended.

=VOTE PRO=
nagrom4881

Con

nagrom4881 forfeited this round.
Itsallovernow

Pro

My opponen forfieted. Arguements remain, still, extended.

=VOTE PRO=
nagrom4881

Con

nagrom4881 forfeited this round.
Itsallovernow

Pro

My opponen forfieted the final and conclusive round and didn't rebutt my argements. Therefore, I strongly urge you to

=VOTE PRO=
Posted by pbplk58 7 years ago
pbplk58
I see a really good argument for the Con that Pro has opened in his rebuttal. But I'm not going to say it (don't wanna give any advantages), until after the debate.
Posted by nagrom4881 7 years ago
nagrom4881
thanks for understanding =) Just been rough at home =P
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
It's okay to say it.
Posted by Itsallovernow 7 years ago
Itsallovernow
Well what am I supposed to say?! My request of the audience has no bearing on my arguements, just, at the very MOST, conduct. However, I did not say it rudely and I just "urged" them to and did not command them, so I do not believe I "misconducted" anything!!!
Posted by Itsallovernow 7 years ago
Itsallovernow
Posted by Kahvan 7 years ago
Kahvan
ack sorry its degrades
Posted by Kahvan 7 years ago
Kahvan
It degreages your argument when you outrightly say to vote for you.
Posted by Itsallovernow 7 years ago
Itsallovernow
It's fine, and I understand. Lol, Captain Hershey! I'm the same way...
Posted by nagrom4881 7 years ago
nagrom4881
Sorry, Im having personal issues, My debate could have been longer but because of family issues I was not able to finish it. I am very sorry.
Posted by CaptainHersheyBar 7 years ago
CaptainHersheyBar
... You know, I always feel really spiffy when I wear a suit to school. It gets me pumped. But I'm weird like that. (For instance, I am right now wearing a bow tie and and suit jacket. Why? Just 'cus. I'm at school right now, too.)
Vote Placed by Itsallovernow 7 years ago
Itsallovernow
nagrom4881ItsallovernowTied
Vote Placed by cactusbin 7 years ago
cactusbin
nagrom4881ItsallovernowTied