lindsay.fieldhockey
SupaDudz

Should schools make students wear uniforms?

SupaDudz

lindsay.fieldhockey

Con

I personally think that students should not be required to wear uniforms to school. First of all, as said from Shawn Ashmore, "Style is a reflection of your attitude and your personality." See, if you had uniforms, students wouldn't be able to release their inner style, as I know because my schools do not have uniforms. Secondly, uniforms could make your grade go down. Most likely is because of being uncomfortable, and if I am not comfortable during class, I cannot concentrate on what I am working on. Lastly, your parents would have to wash your uniform every other night, because most schools only let you get two for your child. That means more work for you, your parents, and/or having to wear smelly clothes. I hope that you will agree with me on this topic. UNIQUE PEOPLE CAN CHANGE THE WORLD!!!
SupaDudz

Pro

Response

PRO SAYS: "I personally think that students should not be required to wear uniforms to school. First of all, as said from Shawn Ashmore, "Style is a reflection of your attitude and your personality." See, if you had uniforms, students wouldn't be able to release their inner style, as I know because my schools do not have uniforms. Secondly, uniforms could make your grade go down. Most likely is because of being uncomfortable, and if I am not comfortable during class, I cannot concentrate on what I am working on. Lastly, your parents would have to wash your uniform every other night, because most schools only let you get two for your child. That means more work for you, your parents, and/or having to wear smelly clothes. I hope that you will agree with me on this topic. UNIQUE PEOPLE CAN CHANGE THE WORLD!!!"

The 1st argument he brings up is unleashing creativity, uniqueness and inner style
This is completely not true because if we are referring to the uniforms, the school has no control of what they wear after school, parties, or winter breaks. Simply put it as is, school uniforms are only worn in school. You can be creative all you really want outside of school which is where you spend most of your time anyway. You don't unleash creativity through your choice of style, you release creativity through your mind and arts. I to did not have uniforms, yet I know people who did. They were was no difference in our creativity. It was clearly based on your mindset so that argument is invalid

The 2nd argument is distraction
SOURCE:https://www.greatschools.org...

You have no evidence of this claim that it makes a difference. In fact, it makes NO difference wearing uniforms vs not wearing them studies show. So therefore, that claim you make is invalid. Talking about distractions now...well well

First off you can easily get distracted when someone is wearing a vulgar shirt, exposing shirt, exteme designer brand shirt, etc. I easily get distracted when people have shirts that expose themselves or have vulgarity on them. This doesn't even remotely affect my grade, if that how it connects to your argument.

To go with my argument, lets say in a school with uniforms, you saw nothing exposing and had to pay attention in class, you are more likely to do better than if you pay no attention to class and just focus on the person exposing their body. What if there is a gang forming and people were those clothes. Your obviously going to get distracted. The correlation you have to distraction makes no sense and can apply to both schools.

A side argument is that you can get bullied for wearing these clothes too.

Also on your uncomfy claim...what do you define as uncomfy? What if the genders are all girls and one boy in any class. That would make you uncomfy as well.

His 3rd argument is washing clothes
First off, that is argument is invalid because you can always find a way to balance out the washing schedule. Wash and dry all in one day, it's automatic. You're not putting any work in at all. Another thing is poor people may only have certain clothes that they wash and do the same work. In fact 32% of Americans are low income so they can't afford all these clothes, so they would have to do the same work as washing uniform, therefore it equals out so your argument is invalid

MY 4TH ARGUMENT
Uniforms are useful in the way that they help regulate dress code rules

Conclusion statements
1)Uniqueness doesn't result from clothing choice. Always wear own clothes outside of school.
2)School uniforms are less distracting and don't make you uncomfortable
3)Invalid claim, same work
4)Help regulate dress code
lindsay.fieldhockey

Con

I believe that you shouldn't wear uniforms, as I said before. I had to wear uniforms a year ago, but our school stopped it, because of all of the reasons I stated before. Even though not all uniforms uncomfortable, most people aren't used to wearing clothes that they don't get to pick. My uniforms made everybody uncomfortable since they were made from cheap items, which most schools/parents can't afford. Most people, like me, don't deserve to wear clothes that other people can just afford, but I can afford better comfortable clothes. Also, I see most of my friends at school, and I have sports and homework after school. So, I can only see my friends on Friday and Saturday. That means that nobody gets to see my inner style, except Friday and Saturday.

Actually, it wasn't just my mindset, I have looked at many websites about many stories about uniforms. For example, Scholastic had more votes of no than yes. Out of 2,943 votes, 2,383 people voted for no uniforms. Studies show that uniforms actually affects 2% of the population, of the people who wear uniforms.

I agree with the con that you can be bullied by hat you wear. But, you can also be bullied by what you wear even with the uniforms on. I know a girl named Lousie, who still got picked on because her uniform was too big for her, and a girl named Alexa got bullied by an older kid who had a different colored uniform. It can still happen just for the weirdest reasons.

As I said uniforms can be hard to wash. The con stated, " Wash and dry all in one day, it's automatic. You're not putting any work in at all. Another thing is poor people may only have certain clothes that they wash and do the same work." Sadly, poor people would most likely attend poor schools. In fact, 78% of poor students/families attend poorer schools, and 21% of the poor schools think that getting uniforms is too much work and money for the families to wash. Also, washing every day, or every other day, waste a lot of water, and water costs money. So, you will have to pay a lot more on the water bill and have to go through all of the stress when you forget to wash a uniform. I forgot to dry my uniform once last year, and you cant wear a wet uniform to school, and a friend borrowed my other uniform. I got a 0% in all of my classes that day, so it can also reduce your grade.

Although that some clothes that you wear can be dress coded, that is just your fault and you can always tell someone or drive home to get new clothes. If you forget to wash and/or dry an article of clothing that you wanted to wear that next day, you can just wear another outfit. On the other hand, if you forget to wash and/or dry your uniform, you cannot go to school, or else you will get a 0% for that day, or wear smelly clothes. Even if you say that not all schools will give you a 0% if you forget to wear your uniform, an average school will take off a certain amount of points on your grade.
SupaDudz

Pro

My responses are stated. Please read all of them

CON STATES:
"I believe that you shouldn't wear uniforms, as I said before. I had to wear uniforms a year ago, but our school stopped it, because of all of the reasons I stated before. Even though not all uniforms uncomfortable, most people aren't used to wearing clothes that they don't get to pick. My uniforms made everybody uncomfortable since they were made from cheap items, which most schools/parents can't afford. Most people, like me, don't deserve to wear clothes that other people can just afford, but I can afford better comfortable clothes. Also, I see most of my friends at school, and I have sports and homework after school. So, I can only see my friends on Friday and Saturday. That means that nobody gets to see my inner style, except Friday and Saturday."

First things first con. Having a cheap uniform is not the schools fault. It is the government's fault for not providing the Title 1 funds needed for comfortable uniforms for your school, not the school and the uniforms in general. We are not debating about the government funding for uniforms. Uncomfortableness is a you issue because some people may not have found the uncomfy, like all the other schools. In another claim, you state that people like me don't deserve wear things they can just afford. It is fair because lots of Americans are poor, so it is fair. Also when you talk about sports and no one sees you, that is a "you" problem. That is completely opinion based as well. Not to mention you have the entire summer, winter break, thanksgiving break, spring break, after school, and weekends to wear whatever you want.

CON SAID:
"Actually, it wasn't just my mindset, I have looked at many websites about many stories about uniforms. For example, Scholastic had more votes of no than yes. Out of 2,943 votes, 2,383 people voted for no uniforms. Studies show that uniforms actually affects 2% of the population, of the people who wear uniforms. I agree with the con that you can be bullied by hat you wear. But, you can also be bullied by what you wear even with the uniforms on. I know a girl named Lousie, who still got picked on because her uniform was too big for her, and a girl named Alexa got bullied by an older kid who had a different colored uniform. It can still happen just for the weirdest reasons."

SOURCE:https://ggwash.org...

Your Scholastic source is valid for the wrong reason. The polls says that 2383 people voted for NO uniforms. That means nothing because its opinion base. It is like the debate we are having at the moment Can you find the studies that say this because this claim this affect of 2% because without a specific source, that claim invalid. You don't state the websites so therefore I can not believe the claim you make here.

SOURCE QUOTES: "The benefits of such policies are well-documented. A study of urban high schools in Ohio found that while uniforms didn"t directly affect academic performance, they had a positive impact on attendance, graduation rates, and rates of suspension. Long Beach, California reported a dramatic increase in school safety after implementing a uniform policy in all K-8 schools. As a teacher, I also observed some positive effects of having students wear uniforms, such as fewer distractions in the classroom and a shift in student focus away from physical appearance."

Clearly if there isn't an education impact, there is a schoolwide improvement that leads to better education and better school environment. This will lead to kids having a better education and a bigger effect than what you stated. If people conducted more studies they will see the same results. If uniforms do this, they can work the cincks of price out becasuse of this change it can make on a school's record.

You are somewhat correct o being bullied by what you were in uniforms, but it's more likely that you will be bullied if you wear a shirt that people think is "dorkish","than a uniform too long. As for your example, I am sad to see this as I am very anti-bullying, but it can not be proven and should not be counted for in the sources because I can not see and it solely on your beli

CON STATES:

"As I said uniforms can be hard to wash. The con stated, " Wash and dry all in one day, it's automatic. You're not putting any work in at all. Another thing is poor people may only have certain clothes that they wash and do the same work." Sadly, poor people would most likely attend poor schools. In fact, 78% of poor students/families attend poorer schools, and 21% of the poor schools think that getting uniforms is too much work and money for the families to wash. Also, washing every day, or every other day, waste a lot of water, and water costs money. So, you will have to pay a lot more on the water bill and have to go through all of the stress when you forget to wash a uniform. I forgot to dry my uniform once last year, and you cant wear a wet uniform to school, and a friend borrowed my other uniform. I got a 0% in all of my classes that day, so it can also reduce your grade.

Although that some clothes that you wear can be dress coded, that is just your fault and you can always tell someone or drive home to get new clothes. If you forget to wash and/or dry an article of clothing that you wanted to wear that next day, you can just wear another outfit. On the other hand, if you forget to wash and/or dry your uniform, you cannot go to school, or else you will get a 0% for that day, or wear smelly clothes. Even if you say that not all schools will give you a 0% if you forget to wear your uniform, an average school will take off a certain amount of points on your grade."

You seem to be putting lots of evidence on this claim. But for what use? We all have to wash our clothes at some point. It's simple. If you forget it's your fault. I do not think that it applies to all schools. Like I said I need specific evidence about this or else it seems like a made up number just win a debate. If this is so, judges should autovote CON. The water bill? That has nothing to do with school uniforms! Please stay on topic. If you are too poor to pay a water bill, then you obviously don't go to a school because that is a necessity and it would be most likely that you are homeless. Also my dress code argument does not link to your washing so please do not link it. I am not talking about poorer people attending schools. I am utterly confused on this argument.

CONCLUSION
The CON team has no evidence of his sources and it solely using opinion and personal evidence as sources. The Scholastic Source is not countering my claim, it's just saying that more people prefer non school uniforms rather than uniforms.

1)Argument has no evidence. Sole source is his example, which can't be proven by the judge
2)Source does not help. Uniforms can help with things like attendance, behaviour which leads to better education
3)Argument unrelated to the topic. Washing uniforms should not be a problem. No source quoted
4)Weak argument. Practically dropped. Invalid link to the 3rd argument.
lindsay.fieldhockey

Con

Sadly, you are actually wrong. A study shows that "Most schools provide a cheap uniform so the students can focus on the paying for getting materials for school," (Brown). Also, you said that we are not debating about the governments funding for the uniforms. That actually includes this debate because it has an effect on whether students should wear uniforms or not. Like I said before, most people are busy and only get to see your friends at school. That means that you don't really get to see your friends style when you actually see them. Even though the vote is opinion based, that means that most people don't want them for a certain reason. Which could make people refuse to wear uniforms and have them stop wearing uniforms. Anyways, "As from R. J. Sirson, most kids and adults prefer no to have uniforms, because they know what it is like to actually have them," (Welsh). If you do wash the uniform, you would have to wash them every other day, but most people wash their clothes every week. That would save so much money rather than having to wash the uniforms.
SupaDudz

Pro

JUDGES NOTE THAT THEY DROPPED MY ARG 4 I MADE IN R1! The impact is dress code regulations are hard to enforce and a uniform is the best way to regulate what kids are allowed to wear.

"Sadly, you are actually wrong. A study shows that "Most schools provide a cheap uniform so the students can focus on the paying for getting materials for school," (Brown). Also, you said that we are not debating about the governments funding for the uniforms. That actually includes this debate because it has an effect on whether students should wear uniforms or not. Like I said before, most people are busy and only get to see your friends at school. That means that you don't really get to see your friends style when you actually see them. Even though the vote is opinion based, that means that most people don't want them for a certain reason. Which could make people refuse to wear uniforms and have them stop wearing uniforms. Anyways, "As from R. J. Sirson, most kids and adults prefer no to have uniforms, because they know what it is like to actually have them," (Welsh). If you do wash the uniform, you would have to wash them every other day, but most people wash their clothes every week. That would save so much money rather than having to wash the uniforms."

I had a hard time interpreting your arguments so without further a do, I will try my best to structure in the way I think best fit

1) The federal government has nothing to do with the debate we are arguing. The federal government's sets the guidelines for uniforms and what they should look like, along with laws with them. The states decide the funds and pricing and material they are made out of. They are made mostly of cotton and wool. We are not arguing what should the federal government do for uniforms, but should we allow uniforms in schools. Some private schools are religious based, and require some form of formality due to the education being in the church grounds. You have no evidence of most people not being able to see their friends outside of school. Since there is no evidence of this claim, I as the debater can not respond because it is solely opinion based, make it impossible to predict. Do not vote on this claim as it is unreasonable. For style, you can show style even with uniform guidelines. Your personality, activities, etc. can equally show their style.

2) I agree that people like or don't like something for a reason. It is common knowledge. That does not justify the fact the school will remove the uniform policies. Who would the school rather listen to. The state legislation or 200 kids that are unhappy. The claim you make is unreasonable because a school will not listen to the children to please children. They are not going to change due to people not wanting to play by their rules. They can live

DROPPED ARGUMENTS: You dropped my education, distractions, and bullying argument in the R3 claim. This means that uniforms do effect education by improving attendance, graduation rates, rates of suspension, and safety. This means that these things will lead better education and higher scores and grades for students, which is left unanswered.

DROPPED PART 2: You also dropped my distraction claim which is left unanswered by my opponent. I said that you get distracted more than uniforms comfiness. You get distracted from vulgar and too much exposure in clothing. This is also unanswered

DROPPED PART 3: You dropped my bullying claim in Round 3 which I said you are more likely to get bullied wearing a "dorky shirt" than a shirt that is too long. People will get bullied more by free clothes than with school uniforms. This is dropped as well

You dropped all 3 of these arguments in this paragraph. Therefore the judges have a right to vote CON in this category

3) Once again, avoiding my source question which means the opponent obviously made things up. Again people have to wash the clothes regularly. Washing it more doesn't mean anything. No, people do not just wash their clothes once a week.

SOURCE:https://www.gq.com...
SOURCE:http://www.cottoninc.com...

SOURCE SAYS: "Cotton T-shirts, shorts, socks, and anything else that gets soaked in sweat should get washed after every wear."

Uniforms are also made out of cotton in fact most of our clothes are clothes in fact cotton inc says "In contrast, 85 percent of men's clothing is made from cotton."

So you do the same washing anyway, so the claim is invalid

IN SUMMARY
1)Opinion based arguments
2)Fed gov nothing to do. Dropped 3 of the arguments made there mine otuweigh
3)Wash same amount as uniforms

CONCLUDE
Please judges do not be swayed by bias and opinion. All of my opponent arguments are opinion based. Do not vote on opinion. Vote on facts, better arguments, dropped arguments, and etc. School uniforms have an affect on everyone, there is no need to remove them. I thank my opponent for a respectful debate.
Posted by lindsay.fieldhockey 4 months ago
lindsay.fieldhockey
But you have to be a certain age limit to debate
lindsay.fieldhockey
By the way i am only 12
Posted by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 4 months ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
I voted!
Posted by SupaDudz 4 months ago
SupaDudz
Good debate
lindsay.fieldhockey
@BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 why is it surprising for me to be the con?
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
@lindsay.fieldhockey That was kind of unexpected for you to be the con.
Vote Placed by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 4 months ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
lindsay.fieldhockeySupaDudzTied
Reasons for voting decision: Same reason as cloebowie's!
Vote Placed by cloebowie 4 months ago
cloebowie
lindsay.fieldhockeySupaDudzTied
Reasons for voting decision: I did agree with Con, prior to the debate, being that I've always been a fan of individuality and feel uniforms deprive us from this, in a sense, so that would be one vote to Con. I ended up agreeing with both of them, however, on account of Pro's argumentation and presentation, which I thought were better, earning Pro one vote more from me than Con.