destinyy
Gondun

Should schools require turning in work online?

destinyy

Con

I myself am a student at my high school and most of our work is required to be turned in online, rather than just handing it in to the teacher. I know our generation is full of technology and such, but what if a student does not have wifi? It makes things much more difficult, yet alone turn in their work until they actually can find somewhere with wifi (their school, library, etc.) Until our world finally has wifi for everyone to use without having to pay( I know that day soon will come) , they should really reconsider for those who don't have enough money to pay for such things.
Gondun

Pro

First, this is not an all-or-nothing topic. I only have to prove that turning in work online is good most of the time and my opponent only has to prove that it is bad most of the time.

My opponent only gives one argument, so I will start there.

Con says that turning in homework online is bad because not all students have access to the internet. This is only a representation of the student's laziness. Almost all students have the opportunity to access the internet somewhere, whether that's home, school, or the local library. Most online assignments are assigned with enough time for students to plan to go to the library or spend some more time at school. Even if there is some rare circumstance that prevents a student from accessing the internet at all for the entire time the assignment is available for, then most teachers would understand and work something out with the student. The exceptions that are not due to student laziness are rare enough that they should not have a serious effect on this debate.

The reasons for online assignments are much more important.

First, websites like turnitin.com allow teachers to fight plagiarism. Websites like these show what pieces of the submitted work are the same/similar to other works or websites and alert the teacher. This is very beneficial because without something like this it is very difficult to know if something is plagiarized.

The other main benefit is the ease for teachers and most students. Online assignments are easier for teachers because they don't have to collect them, they can be graded automatically, and they can easily know who did their homework. This is beneficial because it gives teachers more time to work on more important things like lesson plans and helping students. It is easier for many students because they can simply type in an answer and hit submit.

For these reasons vote Pro.
destinyy

Con

destinyy forfeited this round.
Gondun

Pro

*sigh* Why must everyone forfeit?
You still have one more chance.
destinyy

Con

destinyy forfeited this round.
Gondun

Pro

Gondun forfeited this round.
Posted by Krieg01 3 years ago
Krieg01
With the school that I go to we don't have to hand our work in online but the deadline are probably a lot shorter for us.