ericapoof
annakimma

Should schools require uniforms

ericapoof

Con

I am strongly against school uniforms. The first reason is that they strongly violate students personal freedom. School often push that students should always be themselves, but is that really possible when they all have to wear the same thing. The next reason is that uniforms are expensive and few stores carry them. I will explain my other reasons in the next round
annakimma

Pro

I Believe that school uniforms should be in all schools. it would teach kids to accept each other more and help kids find themselves, instead of worrying about how to fit in as far as dressing goes, and it would help kids follow the dress code of their school. If more schools required that a student wear uniforms maybe they wouldn't be so expensive but there are places you can get them cheap, just like every other expensive thing in this world , and usually a school will offer a loan uniform to the kids who can't afford one.
ericapoof

Con

I also believe that students at other schools and members of the public may judge students by their uniforms. When I was a kid in elementary school we had to wear uniforms. When I got to Middle School and did not have to wear a uniform all the kids their judged me and bullied me because they thought kids that wore uniforms were snobs. I don't know why they thought this, I guess it was just implanted into their brains by society. Therefore, not wearing uniforms will help prevent students from being stereotyped. Also, uniforms are often dry clean only and that can be expensive for the families.
annakimma

Pro

Being bullied by kids because you wear uniforms does happen a lot, but If all schools started having their students wear uniforms it would be less of a problem. So if you wore uniforms in 5th grade and then switched to 6th there wouldn't be any discrimination towards other students. Also, whether you wear uniforms or not you will always be stereotyped, wearing uniforms prevents you from being further stereotyped based on the style of your clothing, if everyone chose their own clothes, one kid may be called gay because he likes to wear pink shirts even if he is not gay, or a girl might be called poor if her clothes are all stained and worn and she might just be living with parents who don't take the time to buy her new clothes. Wearing uniforms prevents kids from judging each other because they are all put on the same level wearing the same thing.
ericapoof

Con

My final argument is that uniforms are often uncomfortable. Uniforms are often not available in plus sizes which can be hard for kids that wear a larger size. Also uniforms can often be stiff or scratchy. You definitely do not want kids to be messing with their uncomfortable clothes all day instead of focusing. This may be short but my final argument is that uniforms are sometimes made with a see through fabric, which can cause girls undergarments to show through, which can cause the girls to be made fun of. Thank you so much for accepting my debate challenge and in conclusion that is why students should not wear uniforms.
annakimma

Pro

annakimma forfeited this round.
Posted by khalder 1 year ago
khalder
It should be up to the schools who are in the best position to determine whether the families of the children they serve prefer anything goes, or soft guidelines, or strict rules--each having distinct pros and cons. The anything goes approach could bring out the worst, thus naturally calling for some guidelines.
Posted by spencer1355 1 year ago
spencer1355
I believe schools should have uniform because people get judged by what they are wearing. And thats absolutely dumb!