tsangsytsang
Diqiucun_Cunmin

Should schools swimming gala be cancelled

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Started: 4/18/2015 Category: Sports

tsangsytsang

Pro

its a waste of money
Diqiucun_Cunmin

Con

I accept. I eagerly await my opponent's opening arguments
tsangsytsang

Pro

tsangsytsang forfeited this round.
Diqiucun_Cunmin

Con

Unfortunately, my opponent has forfeited the second round of the debate, so I will take the liberty of posting my own opening arguments and briefly respond to her point about wasting money.

Constructive Arguments

C1: Swimming galas are beneficial to atheletic students' self-image
Students, whether in primary school or secondary school, are in crucial stages of personal growth. Children need to be eager to discover their potentials and build up a positive, healthy self-image. Unfortunately, under our current system, which places emphasis on academic results, the needs of more athletically-oriented children to are often ignored. Swimming galas are a great way for them to get a sense of achievement from their athletic ability. Thus they serve an important purpose for these neglected youths and should not be cancelled.

C2: Swimming galas are beneficial to the school
With increasing emphasis on schools' performance in extra-curricular acitivities - or other learning experiences as they are now called, participating in inter-school sports competitions is a great way to gain prestige. Internal swimming galas are a great place to familiarise students with swimming competitions and also act as good short-term goals for athletic students to attain, thereby increasing their chances of succeeding at the long-term goal of obtaining awards in inter-school competitions. Hence it is imperative that schools retain the swimming gala.

C3: Swimming galas are a great way to teach sportsmanship and unity
'The student of virtue has no contentions. If it be said he cannot avoid them, shall this be in archery? But he bows complaisantly to his competitors; thus he ascends the hall, descends, and exacts the forfeit of drinking. In his contention, he is still the Junzi.' (Analects 3.7) Sportsmanship is a value that is deeply rooted in our culture. Through swimming galas, schools can impart this value to students. Students who won should be encouraged to shake their hands with those who lost, and encourage them to continue swimming. Students who lost should be taught not to hold a grudge against the winners. The list is endless.

Unity is another value that can be cultivated during swimming galas.. Through the house system, students from each house, even those who do not participate formally in the cheering teams, encourage students from their house to win. Students can learn, through this experience, the importance of unity.

Clearly, swimming galas are essential for teaching important values like sportsmanship and unity, and should not be abolished.

Rebuttals

R1: Swimming galas waste money
I agree that swimming galas use a lot of money, but this does not mean the money was used in vain or wasted. Education is an investment. If the returns of the investment exceed the original investment, then it is worth it. I believe I have sufficiently demonstrated the returns of this investment in my contentions.
tsangsytsang

Pro

tsangsytsang forfeited this round.
Diqiucun_Cunmin

Con

Extend all arguments. Unfortunately, my opponent has forfeited all rounds but the first. Vote Con!
Posted by Diqiucun_Cunmin 1 year ago
Diqiucun_Cunmin
I actually hate swimming gala too. It's mind-numbing, sitting around getting brainwashed by the cheering teams. However, I do think it's necessary for the greater good of the school.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
tsangsytsangDiqiucun_CunminTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture