funnerisbetter
Amandap459

Should schools take initiative to integrate?

funnerisbetter has forfeited round #3.
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: 7 Point
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

funnerisbetter

Pro

Most Americans agree that race should not change your opportunities. If integration is successful, it would lead to a reduction in crime, the narrowing of the achievement gap, and the greater realization of individual potential. The development of intercultural competence, which almost certainly enhances social skills, can only be achieved through diverse settings. The development of intermingling with other races can make you a better person.
Amandap459

Con

What? Although what you are saying is true, "there's a greater chance of being successful if you are in a diverse environment" but the whole idea of schools being racially segregated is not true. There might be academic segregation where some teachers respect other students and exclude students due to their race, (Which is entirely wrong) but the whole concept of schools being racially segregated altogether have no evidence towards this claim.
funnerisbetter

Pro

Check this-->youthunitedforchange.org
Although it may not seem a prevelant issue anymore because we had a black president and the supreme court ruled in Brown vs. Board of Education, it still is. The number of schools with less than 1% of white people has risen from 2,762 in 1988 to 6,727 in 2011 according to ProPublica. And in these schools the technology and overall modernity of the schools is much less than a predominatley white school. Disrespect of race and forced segregation is irrelevant.
Amandap459

Con

I agree with you in that sense but will keep arguing for the sake of portraying different perspectives.
When thinking of racial integration, how would one take initiative for integration? The schools that are predominantly black or white, have this issue because of where the schools are placed. When a neighborhood is predominantly a race and a school is near it, it makes sense that most of the children would go to that school.
How will they fix this segregation?
Posted by funnerisbetter 1 month ago
funnerisbetter
I missed the deadline by five minutes.
Anyways...
So I guess I won.
But really I lost because I was late so :(
Posted by Amandap459 1 month ago
Amandap459
Oh sorry I didn't notice this was an open debate. I will just copy and paste what I said in the comments "round one"
Posted by Amandap459 1 month ago
Amandap459