Kylie.Cunningham
FantasticCarlie

Should schools teach other languages other than Spanish? (Clear Spring)

FantasticCarlie has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Kylie.Cunningham

Pro

Yes because some people don't want to learn just Spanish . It gets really annoying.
FantasticCarlie

Con

First off I would like to thank you for making this argument because this is a very largely argued over topic.

I do not believe schools should teach other languages than Spanish because it is the second most spoken language in the world. If students want to learn another language then learn it in there free time. Yes, it is good for students to learn more than one language. However, that is not the most important thing for students to learn. Though it may 'get very annoying,' it is still a important thing for students to learn. Almost as important as learning English. However, while Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world, English is the third, falling behind Chinese and Spanish.

In this debate I only went to one source:
1)http://www.infoplease.com...
Kylie.Cunningham

Pro

Yes but if there is a Spanish speaking person taking Spanish , then they should learn English or a different language. It is wasting their time by learning a language they already speak fluently.
Posted by ApotheosisOrangutan 1 year ago
ApotheosisOrangutan
You need to be more specific. What kind of school do you go to? College, highschool, gradeschool, middle school? What region you live in. Is it near a Hispanic area?
Posted by sboss18 1 year ago
sboss18
This is a truism, it's impossible to argue for the side of Con.
Posted by Kylie.Cunningham 1 year ago
Kylie.Cunningham
It's the only language they teach hon
Posted by SteveHeist 1 year ago
SteveHeist
That, my dear friend, is referred to commonly as a "personal problem".
Posted by Kylie.Cunningham 1 year ago
Kylie.Cunningham
Ok but my school is different and I don't want to learn spanish
Posted by SteveHeist 1 year ago
SteveHeist
To Capitalist - I am in a United States Public High School, and they have both Spanish and French - so there is no major reason to even have this debate. Point is moot.
Posted by Capitalistslave 1 year ago
Capitalistslave
Actually, my high school taught Spanish, but also had German and French. I took three years of German in high school.

Also, you might want to be more specific in your debate title. I would change it to "Should US high schools teach other languages other than Spanish?"

School could be interpreted to mean colleges, and they already offer a wide variety of languages. Additionally, if you're not specific that you're talking about the US, others may point out that many schools, say, in Germany and elsewhere already teach other languages. Most European nations' schools teach several foreign languages because of how there are so many different languages in relatively close proximity in Europe.