Mclachlan
MaUn15

Should second languages like French be taken out of schools?

Mclachlan

Pro

I think French and other languages are really hard to learn and shouldn't be forced into kids that don't want to learn another language. If they barely know their first language then why learn another language
MaUn15

Con

Mclachlan

Pro

If kids don't know their language very well, then what is the
Point of taking French or other languages. To get into college or
University, you will need to know English. Kids shouldn't be forced into learning another
Language if they don't want to. It is complicated an difficult enough to deal with English, so
Kids shouldn't be forced to learn languages. I've been trying to learn French since grade 4
And I still can't speak the language. What is the point of learning languages?
MaUn15

Con

I don't know how old you are now, but I have taken french in high school for three years and I think I can understand a lot. The point is that learning many languages causes your brain to work harder and make more connections. It's like math, we probably will never have to use the Pythagorean Theorem in our everyday lives but it trains us to identify problems and how to use previous knowledge to solve them. Also, learning French helped me understand English a lot better because in order to fully understand the grammar of another language, you have to relate it to a language you're used to.
Example: The difference between "I" and "Me" and the difference between "Je" and "Moi".
Another thing: Learning romance languages like Italian and French can also help our English vocabulary. Example: "valise" is luggage in French and can also be used to mean suitcase in English. Another example: "sans" means without in French and English.
Mclachlan

Pro

I've been learning french since grade 4 and still cant speak it at all- its so confusing. The English language is harder and is very different from french because it doesn't follow any rules, but french should be taken out because people cant learn two languages at once. The English language is the international language and french isn't, its in decline in France (surprisingly) and in other countries around the world. In many years, ill forget the stuff i learned in french class, mainly because it doesn't stick into the brain that well.
MaUn15

Con

The point of it isn't to make you be able to know the language fluently. They all say that, but the point is that it stimulates your brain. If it wasn't difficult then there would be no point in having language classes. Many colleges and universities require many years of a language because it proves that you have been taught to think in different ways. I've taken math since first grade and I hate it and I'm really bad at it, but that doesn't mean it should be removed from the curriculum. I know I've mentioned math before but it's true, advanced math is more or less useless in everyday life, like learning french in a country that doesn't use it.
Posted by LeStudMuffin 2 years ago
LeStudMuffin
I believe that they shouldn't be taken out of cirriculum, just not made necessary.
Posted by Eav 2 years ago
Eav
What about those kids growing up speaking two languages from their mothers' and fathers' side? They manage it without knowing ANY other language.

Reminds me that in many countries you can't even go to university without acquiring basic knowledge in even two additional languages. I mean, I still hate Spanish but at least I could watch the Labyrinth without subtitles and go on vacation without being one of the annoying tourists who only get the hate of the people and non of the culture.