skyewestfall
Tmurdock

Should seniors in high school have an open campus for lunch?

skyewestfall

Pro

It has been a common argument that seniors at our high school aren't privileged enough. Seniors get parking passes for their senior year but juniors can get them halfway through the school year leaving seniors as equal as everybody else. A few of my friends and I have decided we want to talk to the principal and superintendent about having an open campus for lunch and free periods, allowing us to go downtown or to local restaurants to get food.
Tmurdock

Con

I am in negation of this topic. Even though my school does this there is a problem. Readers, please consider where this is going. Where do the funds come from to fund my activities and lunch? The answer is from your lunch money. Everyday thousands of dollars are given to the schools through lunch money.
Activities, upgrades, better food, electricity, rent, etc . . . comes from lunch money. Just ask your school board if you don't believe me. I asked mine.
skyewestfall

Pro

Yes people put in lunch money into their accounts but you can ask for a refund of it and they'll give it to you in a check and yo can cash it. The open campus will be for seniors only which most do have jobs and money that they can spend for themselves. Its not required for you to go out during lunch, you can stay at the school for an open campus lunch. If you would like to leave, you can do so if you have some extra money. Other funds pay for activities and so does fundraising. My team fundraises from August to February and holds competitions at our school and we raise enough money for 30 of us to go to a national competition in Florida for 5 days, none of which was raised from school lunches. And besides that, freshman, sophomores and juniors will still be in the cafeteria and they will be paying for lunches and not all seniors will be leaving.
Tmurdock

Con

This will advocate for saving money. School lunches cost very minimal at a max of 3-5 dollars. An off campus lunch will be more expensive. By negating we are saving money, gas, and decreasing the rise of air pollution from all the vehicles going to and from lunch. Please side with me!
skyewestfall

Pro

Like I said, an open campus will be optional. Students do not have to leave the school campus unless they truly want to. If they want to stay at the school and eat that lunch instead then that's okay.
Tmurdock

Con

Folks by negating we will be helping these people to save up money. Don't forget that these seniors are teenagers. They wan t fast food, clothes, music, video games, and all the latest tech. We will be teaching them a useful skill if we negate.
skyewestfall

Pro

An open campus policy will help local businesses as well. Yes, we are teenagers, we are old enough to have jobs to pay for ourselves. We are also old enough where we are going to college next year and need to have our own responsibilities. We do not have enough freedom as seniors who are going into college next year where you can have so much more free reign. In college, if you don't show up to class or you don't hand in your assignments, that is your own problem that you need to take responsibility for. Our town has a various selection of foods that don't include just fast food specifically. There are healthy choices as well.
Tmurdock

Con

Tmurdock forfeited this round.
skyewestfall

Pro

skyewestfall forfeited this round.
Tmurdock

Con

That's it folks. Thanks for reading! Vote for me please.