Jada1004
beem0r

Should sex education be taught in grade schools?

Jada1004

Pro

Sex education should be taught in grade schools to students. Puberty begins at the age of twelve for females and thirteen for males. Puberty is a time of confusion, questioning, and self-examination, along with emotional and physical change. Alot of children and teens are uncomfortable talking to their parents about sexual behaviors and questions and are left feeling helpless.

Sex education in grade schools allows a child to be able to freely express themselves emotionally, ask questions, gain answers, and be comfortable aroung peers who are experiencing the same difficult change. The only thing different about sex education is that it is NOT a "how-to" class; it will NOT teach students how to have, perform, and enjoy sex, nor will it teach a child how to properly use contraceptives. The class (program) is used to teach children about the difference in which their bodies is going through as well as teach them the bodily form, such as organs and etc.

It is better to have a child be taught about sex and the body by a mature and responsible teacher, rather than from the media.
beem0r

Con

Sex education should NOT be taught in grade schools.

Besides the first statement, I generally agree with your first paragraph.

I'll respond now to points, denoting things you've said by surrounding them in >>these<<.

>>Sex education in grade schools allows a child to be able to freely express themselves emotionally...<<
Students are freely able to express themselves emotionally regardless. I would counter that a sex education class might make some students rather uncomfortable based on the social stigmas of the topic. Thus, if anything, I put forward that it would limit their ability to express themselves.

>>...ask questions, gain answers...<<
Students gain no ability to ask questions by having a sex education class. A question does not require a prompt - if a student has a question about something, he or she can ask anyone he or she trusts. This also puts forward the fact that students might not be willing to discuss such matters with strangers. There's no guarantee that a student will trust his or her teacher. Imposing this on kids is not solving anything.

>>be comfortable aroung peers who are experiencing the same difficult change<<
Having said difficult change brought up is not likely to make the kids more comfortable around each other. Often, when people are uncomfortable around people for a certain reason, they are less comfortable when said reason is brought up.

>>it is NOT a "how-to" class; it will NOT teach students how to have, perform, and enjoy sex, nor will it teach a child how to properly use contraceptives<<
You sure know how to take the 'sex' out of 'sex education.'

>>The class (program) is used to teach children about the difference in which their bodies is going through as well as teach them the bodily form, such as organs and etc.<<
So an explanation of puberty, as well as some useless info on human anatomy that will be taught later in their education in a much more understandable and relevant context. We'll ignore the whole bit about learning about organs and what not, since I think we can agree that this info would be utterly useless to the students on the issue the program's supposed to be addressing. I'll address the other part a little further down.

>>It is better to have a child be taught about sex and the body by a mature and responsible teacher, rather than from the media.<<
Hearing one thing from parents or teachers and another from the media does not result in an automatic rejection of the media's voice, especially when they are not even in conflict. The proposition of yours does not address sex, but rather explains the process of puberty. An explanation from a teacher on puberty and sexually advocating messages from the media do not conflict in any way.

However, the schools should not need to teach children about puberty or sex anyway. These are neither academic issues nor issues each parent would like the school's to address at that age. It would be fine if there was a unanimous decision by parents that they wanted their kids to learn that in whatever grade. Then the school would simply be performing one extra positive service. However, the fact that not all parents want it, coupled with the fact that it's not by nature the school's duty to educate you on it, makes sex education in grade school a bad proposition indeed.

I could perhaps see it as viable if it was not a required class, but rather some after-hours program, much like clubs are. Such programs are neither required to serve an educational purpose (based on them being extracurricular) nor are they required to be desired by everyone (based on being voluntary). _THAT_ would be fine.

Also, there's nothing wrong with the confusion you seek to eliminate. Confusion is natural during times of change, and it is for each person to come to understand these changes themselves.
Jada1004

Pro

Jada1004 forfeited this round.
beem0r

Con

This round was skipped because I have nothing to reply to.
Sigh. IT'S OVER ONE HUNDRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jada1004

Pro

Jada1004 forfeited this round.
beem0r

Con

Regrettably, my opponent has left. In round one, I addressed my opponent's arguments and left my own in their place. My opponent did not return to address my points.
Posted by sadolite 9 years ago
sadolite
The government knows what's best for you, you stupid peasants.
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
Who thought I could be so amusing?

Have to wonder why someone would come to a site thats intended for debating when you can't tolerate a diffrence of opinion. I thought liberals were suppose to be the tolerant ones. Hating all Conservatives?

Good riddance!
Posted by arrivaltime 9 years ago
arrivaltime
Your icon amuses me, your opinions amuse me, you being convinced you're always right and never conceeding a point amuses me, but now when you respond to every comment ever.

I can't believe you'd say sex ed is frivolous.

THis is why I hate conservatives and goddamn I'm happy to leave this site.
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
"Parents who don't want their kids to learn about sex should sign a paper, or vice versa-- because there needs to be some form of education. "

Why? Since when has sex ed been the goverments job? There shouldn't be a sex ed class in the first place. And we wonder why our rankings on education are dropping when compared to other countries. We fill our children with frivolous classes that should be coming from the parents, not the teacher.

"How can you claim to be protecting innocent lives by bring pro-life (not that I disagree with it) and then say schools need to butt out of it?"

They are not one in the same. I am not wishing anything harmful on kids. I am just advocating that the goverment should refrain from trying to raise my children.

"You can't have your cake and eat it too."

I beg to differ. Whoever heard of someone getting a cake then not eating it? I love cake. My favorite is german chocolate. Now you want to take that away from me?

"why aren't your commrades teaching their kids that sex isn't something to play around with?"

Comrades? Anyways, how should I know? I am not going to tell the whole world how they should raise their child. Thats their responsibility, not mine or the goverment.

Like I said before, our education system is already in trouble. We don't need to have more ridiculous classes that have no place in the education system.
Posted by arrivaltime 9 years ago
arrivaltime
Okay, come to St. Louis and I'll show you all the kids. I worked in a nurse's office for 4 years, I've seen these kids, and when they come in and ask about sex the nurse turns them away and says abstinence is the only answer. They come back later with STDs or pregnant. I know plenty of people who don't know about the different STDs. I know people who think condoms totally prevent herpes from spreading. Half the time they think their bladder infections are just because they've been drinking lots of water-- bladder infections lead to kidney infection, and kidney infections lead to kidney failure.

You overestimate the kids in innercities. Parents who don't want their kids to learn about sex should sign a paper, or vice versa-- because there needs to be some form of education. If you don't want your kid participating, then fine, don't sign/sign the paper (whichever way) but to seriously sit there and say nobody who is having sex doesn't know what an STD is reeks of idealism and wishful thinking.

"Who said life was fair?"-- Come on, now. How can you claim to be protecting innocent lives by bring pro-life (not that I disagree with it) and then say schools need to butt out of it? You can't have your cake and eat it too. Teen pregnany rates are not rising from all of a sudden a lot of bad parenting-- I don't see any logic in that. People aren't different parents than they were 10 years ago, its not like theres been a shift in letting your kids go bang whoever they want and laugh it up and not teach them about it. My old high school, and also the most conservative city in Missouri has the highest pregnancy rate in Missouri and its higher than its ever been-- why aren't your commrades teaching their kids that sex isn't something to play around with?

I can show you so many people who don't know ANYTHING about STDs and think condoms work 100% of the time or don't know how to get to condoms.
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
Who said life was fair? Who doesn't know what an STD is? Show me a kid that is having sex who doesn't know what an STD is or that if you don't wrap it when you tap it you could have child on the way.

It is the parents job plain and simple. When I finally have children I do not want the goverment telling my kids about sex. That is not why they are put there.
Posted by arrivaltime 9 years ago
arrivaltime
And along with that, sex isn't a one person thing. Parents can teach their kids about masturbation but if you are uneducation about the dangers of sex and you screw someone else, it isn't fair to be like "well my momma didn't teach me that a burning sensation could be a bad sign".
Posted by arrivaltime 9 years ago
arrivaltime
I don't understand why mommy and daddy need to decide if they wont to inform their kids about STDs. Half the time parents don't know anything about them.
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
Arrivaltime, that just shows the lack of proper parenting, but just because the parents are not doing a great job of informing their children about sex does not give the goverment the right to step in and play mommy and daddy.
Posted by arrivaltime 9 years ago
arrivaltime
Sex ed mostly educates kids about how much it sucks to get pregnant and really awful STDs, and then finally the importance of contraceptives...My state banned sex ed in schools and we have the highest teen birth rates in years.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
Jada1004beem0rTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by JUDGE 9 years ago
JUDGE
Jada1004beem0rTied
Vote Placed by THEmanlyDEBATER3 9 years ago
THEmanlyDEBATER3
Jada1004beem0rTied
Vote Placed by sadolite 9 years ago
sadolite
Jada1004beem0rTied
Vote Placed by bigbass3000 9 years ago
bigbass3000
Jada1004beem0rTied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 9 years ago
Tatarize
Jada1004beem0rTied
Vote Placed by Sanchez 9 years ago
Sanchez
Jada1004beem0rTied
Vote Placed by Grandma 9 years ago
Grandma
Jada1004beem0rTied
Vote Placed by jimmy_slay 9 years ago
jimmy_slay
Jada1004beem0rTied
Vote Placed by DeATHNOTE 9 years ago
DeATHNOTE
Jada1004beem0rTied