Inspired
aiah17

Should sex offenders be released from prison?

Inspired

Pro

A sex offender is defined as one who has committed a sexual crime. There are different levels of sex offenders. From molestation of a child to urination in public to child pornography. I am taking the side that sex offenders should not be released from prison due to the severity of the crime. I expect sources from my opponent.
aiah17

Con

You took pro for this argument, but you stated that you do not believe that sex offenders should be released from prison. Thus, I logically decided that you believe that sex offenders SHOULD be released from prison.
Inspired

Pro

I apologize for the confusion. I am against sex offenders being released from prison, but for this debate I am taking the stand that they should be released from prison. For my first argument, I would like to use two hypothetical scenarios:

1. 18-17 year olds
In this day and age, high school sexual activities are becoming more and more commonplace. Take the example of an 18 year old male and a 17 year old female. They've been in a relationship for the entirety of high school. Let's say that one day they get a little too excited. The father of the female finds out and charges the boyfriend with sexually offending his daughter because she is underage. This young man has been charged with a crime that will hold him in prison the rest of his life. Are you willing to let that happen?

2. Accidental downloads
For various reasons (computer virus, accidental download, etc.), child pornography accidentally ends up on a computer. This download is tracked down by law enforcement officials. The user is charged as being a sexual offender even though they did not intend to commit a crime. This person is now in prison for the rest of their life for a crime they did not intend to commit.
aiah17

Con

Thank you for clearing things up. I believe that your scenarios were representing only a minority of sex offenders. During your second scenario, with the computer and the pornography, it would be simple for the person using the computer to explain what happened. All they would need is a good lawyer and their computer as evidence. As for you first scenario, that is just teens being teens. Most sex offenders are cruel and evil. Take Ariel Castro. If you have not head about his crimes, then see: en.wikipedia.org/Ariel_Castro_kidnappings

Do we really want people like this free (I know he's dead, but this is just an example)
Inspired

Pro

I would like to say my opponent makes a fair point. Sex offenders are cruel. So cruel, in fact, that they do not have the good sense to control themselves, especially when it comes to child rapists. However, they are still human. Once many of these sex offenders are incarcerated, some never leave prison. They are killed by inmates who have far greater sentences. Check the statistics! You'll see what I'm saying is true. Are we willing to have these people killed? They could be rehabilitated back into society and live perfectly good lives. They have the chance to make their lives right, even though they do carry the scar of their crime with them throughout their lives. Many of them must have learned. They paid their debt to society by being imprisoned as they as they are. I yield to my opponent.
aiah17

Con

aiah17 forfeited this round.
Inspired

Pro

Since my opponent has forfeited this round, I find it difficult to present a counter argument. I would like to reiterate that I do not support sex offenders being released from prison.
aiah17

Con

aiah17 forfeited this round.
Posted by Me_Myself_I 3 years ago
Me_Myself_I
Ridiculous.

Is this debate supposed to invoke some kind of discussion regarding the issue of what we are to do about all these sex offenders?

How is that working out for you?

Here is a suggestion, debate ways sex crimes could be reduced in the first place. Nothing done to a post conviction sex offender can undo the crime.

Have you ever read, "Recidivism of Sex Offenders Released from Prison in 1994"?

What they did was track all of the felons released in 15 states for four years. During that time 517 sex offenders were rearrested for a sex offense. This seems like a good argument for why tougher sex offense laws are needed. But then you discover 3,328 felons who were not sex offenders (once a sex offender, always a sex offender) were also rearrested for sex offenses.

What went wrong there? 3,328 people who knew what prison is like like for a sex offender crossed the line? WHY?

Do you understand that nothing, absolutely NOTHING, about our sex offense laws could have prevented those 3,328 crimes?

What is the solution? Is there a solution?

Do you still feel like incarceration is the answer?