corporealbeing
Devnith

Should sibling incest be legalized in the United States?

corporealbeing

Pro

I have set a few rules for having an open-minded debate about a controversial taboo.

- The first round will be accepting the challenge only.
- The final round will be our closing arguments, and no new evidence will be brought up.
- Incest will hereby by defined as sexual intercourse between persons so closely related that they are forbidden by law to marry.
- Sibling will be defined as each of two or more children or offspring having one or both biological parents in common.
- We will not personally attack each other or resort to ad hominems. Attacking me and calling me a pervert will not further your argument.
- Data must be backed by credible sources.
Devnith

Con

Very well, I accept my opponent's terms and conditions.
corporealbeing

Pro

Since this is the first round, I will keep my arguments simple.

I believe that sibling incest should no longer be dismissed by the populous, but deemed a fundamental right. Of course, this argument is assuming lesser forms of incest would also be legal, like cousin on cousin, and parent on child incest would still be illegal. I am still unsure where I stand on legalizing parent on child incest, but that's irrelevant anyways.

One reason why sibling incest is illegal is because an incestuous couple may instil tension within the family. I believe the right to consensual sexual intercourse given to adults is far greater than protection of family values. In fact, the protection of family values was an argument against the gays. It is true that a gay marriage may divide a family, because some family members may feel that gay marriage is okay, while other condemn it. However, this is a bad reason to not support gay marriage, and many happy incestuous couples and those who advocate for them would like people to stop using such a subjective argument.

Another reason why people think insect should remain illegal is because they consider it wrong or taboo. This is not a reason. If you consider something wrong for weak or personal reasons, you should not make it illegal for everyone else. Some fear that if sibling incest is legalized, everyone will begin to partake in incestuous sex, which is not true. As the German ethics council said while trying to defend sibling incest:

“Criminal law is not the appropriate means to preserve a social taboo.” [1]

Most likely, if sibling incest is legalized, the taboo around it while remain.

The final argument I will refute in round one (I must say, the most common one) is that inbreeding would be detrimental to children. I will present three ways in which this argument is faulty.

1) Assuming we allow everyone the right to produce offspring, including the genetically disadvantaged, individuals with genetics diseases, and those who have overall undesirable traits, we should grant incestuous couples their rights to reproduce as well. This would be truly fair.

2) We could penalize incestuous couples for having babies, possibly by fining them, just as the Chinese government does when a married couple has more than two children. [2] Free abortion and birth control for those who can't afford it would be essential for this to work.

3) Incestuous couples can have their embryos screened via in vitro fertilization (IVF), and then they can select a healthy embryo to raise into a child. [3] After all, not all inbred children are defective. [4]

This may be to your surprise, but I am in complete favor of eugenics, or artificial selection. Some may see eugenics as a reason to make sibling incest illegal, but as far as modern eugenics is concerned, it is the complete opposite. What I consider an introduction to modern eugenics, Future Human Evolution: Eugenics in the Twenty-First Century, is a short book you can read online or check out from your library. My second and third refutations to the inbreeding argument are forms of eugenics, and if you are against eugenics, the first argument should be completely acceptable by your standards.

I await your reply.

(Book Link: http://www.whatwemaybe.org...)

[1] http://hotair.com...
[2] http://www.nytimes.com...
[3] http://www.parenting.com...
[4] http://io9.gizmodo.com...
Devnith

Con

Devnith forfeited this round.
corporealbeing

Pro

My argument extends.
Devnith

Con

Devnith forfeited this round.
corporealbeing

Pro

corporealbeing forfeited this round.
Devnith

Con

Devnith forfeited this round.
Posted by corporealbeing 1 year ago
corporealbeing
@SampleText It won't let me send you a message, so I'll reply to you here. Do you want me to challenge you as SampleText to a new debate. I'll copy and paste my argument and we can continue from there.
Posted by Heirio 1 year ago
Heirio
Damn, I'm not sure on what to do.
Ask the moderators for help.
If you can't do much in time, explain your situation in the comments and give your arguments there.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Posted by SampleText 1 year ago
SampleText
I bought a new-PC and threw out my old one, My password is not being recognised and google has locked my out of my Gmail!
Posted by SampleText 1 year ago
SampleText
Posted by Heirio 1 year ago
Heirio
WHat's happened? Have you forgotten your password or is there another error?
Posted by SampleText 1 year ago
SampleText
Help me! I've been locked out of my debate.org account! I'm Devnith!!!!
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
Sex between consenting adults should never be illegal.
Posted by Heirio 1 year ago
Heirio
This'll be an interesting debate.