joeboulet
utahjoker

Should single gender schools exist?

utahjoker

joeboulet

Con

My premise is that the cons of single gender school outweighs the pros.
I am against single gender schools for the following reasons:

1. Fun-

Without a doubt the majority of students would usually prefer a school with both genders if given the choice. The purpose of school is to help on a successful life in the future. A successful life means a few things, overall resulting in fun. Fun may be the purpose of everything, because that is of course what everybody wants. Single gender schools don't even get close to assuring a successful life, but let's say it did moreso than regular schools. You'd be cutting away a student's quality of life now for a slightly larger (not even true) chance of a fun life later on. There is one obvious question floating around right now: While it's true most students would prefer both genders, there are the odd ones not comfortable with that, so why take it away? If you look at single gender schools they are almost always big and expensive (I have never seen this not the case), which is why some people are of the opinion it will help a more successful future life. At first this seems like a good thing, but the amount of people that are forced to go to single gender schools by their parents because of their prestige is too much. It outweighs the amount of people uncomfortable with regular school, and cuts off one of the best parts of a school experience for the people wanting to be in a coed school. It's not fair to force students to a school where they have to dress up, have no opposite-gender counterparts and suck each other's penises (joke). Life isn't fair for everyone (students uncomfortable with opposite gender), but we should do what is good for the majority rather than the minority.

2. Social life-

This is probably the most common argument against single gender schools. Those awkward students with issues talking to other opposite gender students are only burying themselves in a bigger hole. Everyone needs practice for this, and being at a single gender school makes it so much harder than it should be to make an effort. And as for the students not wanting to be at their single gender schools, this just adds to the list of cons. Part of growing up is making friendships, and there shouldn't ever be limitations!

3. Mixed environment-

This ties in with social life (point #2), but in the real world there are two genders! Preparing for the real world will always be more important than preparing for a university. Plus, it's not like coed schools aren't preparing you for university as well.

IT SHOULD ALSO BE NOTED SINGLE GENDER SCHOOL DON'T EVEN DO BETTER.
utahjoker

Pro

I will give the three reasons my opponent gave except for my side.

1. Fun-
Fun is an important part of everyone's life. It can give people a chance to learn and grow closer to people and sports. If a school was only single gender than there is more of a comfort level. It has been proven that people are friends more with the same sex than the opposite. Most sports it is only one gender on the team and sports is one of the funnest things someone can do. Fun isn't about gender, but if it is than fun is best amongst those who are like you.

2. Social life-
If someone is awkward with girls than going to a single gender school doesn't hurt. It can give a more comfortable atmosphere which will give people the chance to learn to talk to others than when it comes to talking to the opposite sex it could help with that earlier atmosphere.

3. Mixed environment-
a mixed environment doesn't involve gender instead it involves personality. Personality isn't determent on what gender you are but the way you act and the people you are around. In the real world people have to prepare for personalities not genders.

Some people enjoy going to single gender schools. If they don't do any better like my opponent claims than why shouldn't they exist.
joeboulet

Con

I'll do the same as you did.

1. Fun-

There may be more of a comfort level for certain people, but like is said with social life, stepping outside your comfort level will end up being helpful. There will still be members of the same sex in coed schools to become friends with. There will also still be sports teams, instead one for each sex, so I don't see how sports teams is better in single gender schools than coed. Fun actually has a lot to do with gender, relationships are seen as one of the best things about going to school, plus people wanting friends of the opposite sex to hang around with. This is exactly why most students would prefer being in a school woth both genders.

2. Social life-

I think you're wrong when you say someone awkward with girls going to a single gender school doesn't hurt. As I said before, It hurts your ability to socialize with the opposite sex in the future ("real world"). It would be very good for people to step outside of their comfort zone and experience new things.

3. Mixed environment-

Again, I disagree. In the real world people must be prepared for personalities AND genders. This is because people should be prepared for relationships and knowing how to treat the opposite sex.

I explained why single gender schools shouldn't exist in my first argument about fun (read it again).
utahjoker

Pro

I'll not refute my opponents points

Fun-
Fun has nothing to do with gender, all has to do with how someone relates to another and how the personalities go hand in hand. Most sports deal with only one gender so if sports is what someone finds fun than going to a single gender school shouldn't make school any less enjoyable.

Social life-
Being around the opposite sex doesn't mean you will be better when it comes to the opposite sex. Social life is about who you will be around and dating like my opponent doesn't happen at school it happens in the "real world" if someone wants to go on a date than they can after school.

Mixed environment
To live in the "real world" people have to go and be friends with the opposite gender outside of school. The mixed environment won't happen in school if someone doesn't hang out with the opposite sex after school. People don't get married and have kids in school (most of the time). People need environment outside of school and single sex schools won't change that.

Taking single gender schools would be like taking a freedom someone has to choose where and how to get an education.
joeboulet

Con

1. Fun-

You keep disregarding everything I say. Fun does have something to do with gender- relationships, which are universally considered one biggest (funnest) parts of school. Also, there a certain fun things that are better to do with the opposite sex that you couldn't do at a single gender high school. You are also contradicting yourself when you say "people of the same sex are more often friends" and "fun has nothing to do with gender" because fun often revolves around friends, it kind of sounds like you don't know what you're saying.
I never said it would be "less enjoyable"- at the bottom I'll restate why they shouldn't exist (another thing you've disregarded...). What you are saying with the sports thing makes no sense. "Most sports it is only one gender on the team and sports is one of the funnest things someone can do." Both types of schools have sports, right? So why did you bring it up in the first place? It has nothing to do with single gender or coed schools at all.

2. Social life-

Yes you can date after school but it's obviously way more difficult seeing that most people have extracurricular activities, work, etc or might just not be up for putting the time in. Being around the opposite sex more often makes it EASIER when it comes to the opposite sex. This year I'm at an all boys school and even every teacher admits that.

3. Mixed environment-

What I'm saying is that single gender schools don't prepare you well for the mixed environment after you graduate, not at this specific moment (that's why I say "preparing for the real world"). Once you graduate you'll be dealing with members of the opposite sex, so you need some practice to know how to act with them.

Like I said in my first argument, so many students are forced to go to single gender schools becuase they are almost always more prestigious. This is exactly taking freedom from someone of where and how to get an education.
utahjoker

Pro

Since the points fun, social life, and mixed environment have been used in the previous rounds I will be continuing on the tradition

1.Fun -
It is up to opinion what fun is and single gender schools can be just as fun as any other school it is up to the people not the gender.

2. Social Life-
We life in an age of technology and this has become one of the biggest uses in social life. Last time I checked Facebook and Twitter aren't single gender exclusive. Social Life also has to continue on after school so if want to hang out with girls or guys or whatever it is not exclusive in school.

3. Mixed environment-
Environment isn't about what gender you are it is about how you are. A boring guy and a boring girl are still boring a fun guy and a fun girl are fun. Gender doesn't mean environment will be different maybe the school is like and some personalities might be more on one gender than the other, but it is still up to each individual to have a mixed environment.

Their are only about 116 single gender schools in the United States it wouldn't be right to outlaw a certain education that someone doesn't agree with. If someone wants to be apart of a single gender school for learning more power them, but they don't have to go away because someone thinks it would be less fun, or not as social, or the environment is mixed enough, we can't choose what people want to do with their learning. Vote Pro

Sources-
http://www.singlesexschools.org...
Posted by ant981228 4 years ago
ant981228
Stop inventing statistics off the top of your heads, both of you, and cite someone who is actually qualified! Then I may even decide to vote...
Vote Placed by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
joebouletutahjokerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Obvious.