lokure
Leaning

Should skin lightening products be banned?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Voting Period

lokure

Pro

I'm here to state that skin lightening products should be banned because they cause kids to think that they are not good enough the way they were born. I look forward to debating.
Leaning

Con

Sure, I'll give a try.
lokure

Pro

Thank you, leaning for accepting my debate.
Skin lightening creams have been around for centuries, promoting the theory that having light skin will give you a better life and saying darker skin is disgusting and not pure. This myth has created a billion dollar industry around the world based on that.
I don't think we can blame any one person on this; it's been around for more than ever. But even as nowadays we are promoting acceptance of every single skin tone and celebrating darker skinned models such as Nyakim Gatwech and Khoudia Diop, there are still skin lightening products being sold in stores such as Walmart, specifically in the ethnic section.
I'll try telling a story of my own. In 6th grade, I was obsessed with lightening my skin, being the daughter of a Sudanese couple. My skin was the darkest in the school and even then, I was hearing the word n****r being thrown in my direction. By this point, I just wanted lighter skin; not to be white although i had dreamt of that. I just wanted a lighter complexion, one that was achieved by having a white parent. I was so desperate that I tried lemons and egg whites just to do so.
Now, I am in a much better place, seeing people like me doing so well while being proud of their dark complexion. I understand that many kids are like my 6th grade self; wanting to have a different skin tone and hating that they are so different. But i find it crucial that they accept themselves the way that they were born and not try to change themselves. I believe these products promote self-hate and they are damaging today's fragile youth so they should be immeidetly banned, despite what some older grandmothers may say.
Leaning

Con

Eh, maybe people should be encouraged not to use skin lightening products, but you could really say the same for any makeup.
Some people like darkening their skin and getting tans.
I don't think that people should ever feel like they have to change their skin color to fit in with other people, but people have a right to change their body as they wish to.
lokure

Pro

Yes, I agree that people should be encouraged to not use skin lightening products but I don't think this could be said about makeup. Although makeup does have some pretty disastrous effects on the body that most people don't take into account, permanently lightening one's skin is full of health-wise disadvantages such as thinning of skin, uneven colour loss, leading to a blotchy appearance, redness and intense irritation, dark grey spots, skin cancer, acne, increase in appetite and weight gain, osteoporosis, and more. Makeup makes some people feel confident and some think of it as a form of art while others think of it as a mask.
Some people like getting tans but those tend to be briefly and won't have too much of an effect if the habit doesn't continue.
I agree that people should never have to feel they have to change their skin color to fit in but it's the way these products are advertised that astonishes people. Here's a commerical, one from the 50s or so. so: https://i.pinimg.com...;
The frightenening thing is the similarity between this and recent ones, both spreading the message that dark skin is dirty and unpure and all should strive to get a lighter complexion. The problem with this isn't with one's freedom; people should have rights to their own body and changing it how they see fit (like unneeded cosmetic surgeries) but the line where this should be stopped is when it begins to affect your body negatively.
Leaning

Con

It's a blurry line where people are allowed to affect their body negatively.

People would be healthier if we banned alcohol, cigarettes, instituted a mandatory weight that a person must stay within through exercise and diet.

Modern morality where I'm from seems to be leaning toward personnel choice being the greatest factor.

Regardless of how harmful it may be, freedom to affect their body how they wish is paramount. If they are rich and able to bleach their skin or give themselves too much of a nose job, likely most would agree they should not have done it, but they should be Allowed to.

People like being able to get tattoos, piercings, all sorts of unneeded and potential harms.
But banning these is not right.

People make their own choices. I'll admit their marketing and drift of it is wrong. But I do not admit that selling skin lightening products is wrong.
lokure

Pro

Yes, people do like to get tattoos and piercing but their dangers aren't quite equivalent to those of skin lightening. Tattoos and piercings are examples of how some people express theirselves as an individual and banning this wouldn't seem smart even to those initiating the ban. But skin lightening tackles a whole new set of problems.

Leaning

Con

Fortunately or unfortunately people have the right to make alterations to their body, even it is unhealthy for them.

People have the right nowadays to express themselves in ways that other people might find strange of bizarre.

Unless people are being forced to lighten their skin by other people, people have a right to lighten their skin.

Should people not use it and should it's use be discouraged, it certainly sounds like it. Should ad companies not be A**h**** definitely
.
But should the product and it's use be banned? No.

Aforementioned reasons. People have a right to their own body, though it's a shame when they allow peer pressure to dictate to them.
lokure

Pro

I've said all I need to say; good job and good luck.
Leaning

Con

Suppose I have as well, luck to you.
Posted by Leaning 3 weeks ago
Leaning
body dysmorphia?
https://en.wikipedia.org...
Posted by pi3.14 3 weeks ago
pi3.14
I have to agree with learner because it is your choice if you want to change your skin tone or not. Like he said, other things like cigarettes and alcohol are bad, but that doesn't mean you should ban them. Also, when kids are born with something different with their face and they want to get something to change it to look like other kids' faces, should they be denied? It too could impact their self-esteem. Anyway, both of you have decent arguments so far, so good luck to both of you!