xlxzxbxth.x
aT78

Should smartphones be banned in schools?

xlxzxbxth.x

Con

My school has a no smartphone policy, and I am strongly against it. I am a 6th grade (or Year 7) living in London and think the case is totally unnecessary. The only mobile phones we can bring to school are Nokia bricks, which cannot have a camera or access to the internet. I think this is plain stupid. My school is a local school, (not in the middle of the city) and we surely do not have that many thieves. So why? They do not distract your learning, my school is strict enough.
Phone (Nokia brick) rings during class? They take it from you and you get a Wednesday after school detention.
They find out you have a smartphone? Trouble. Saturday morning detention. Why? Because those are the rules.
Yes, life in school is hard. My school is way to strict. And, another topic, we finish at:
4:15 on Mondays and Wednesdays (but I finish at 5:30 on Wednesdays because I do an extra curricular activity)
4:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays
And 3:15 on Fridays.
I honestly do not know why I have not left yet.
So yeah. I really think smartphones should be allowed in lessons. For research, to use as a calculator, yes. Not for texting.
So why? Even when your brick rings.
Why, school?!
aT78

Pro

I think your school just did the right thing by banning the smartphones and other schools should learn something from your school. To start with even if your school would have allowed you to access smartphone inside its premises, you would have never used it for anything besides social media, Whatsapp, fb , insta, twitter, snapchat, and still counting. No doubt you will use it as a calculator but that's just the tip of it and you can always use a calculator. And even you know that the percentage of students using the smartphone for research will be easily outweighed by those who use it for all the other things besides that. So u should be excited that your school has taken such a bold decision.
xlxzxbxth.x

Con

I agree but...
You can block all those social media services. I think they are also handling it way too strictly, those detention are not worth it. Of course there is the school iPads for research, and the school calculators for calculating, but having it all in one is so much easier. Besides, barely any of us know how to use a Nokia brick. So yes, they could be banned during lessons, and I respect that point, but why are we not allowed to keep out smartphones in our lockers and use them after school?
aT78

Pro

You need to understand it doesn't work that way. You can only restrict the access of something through a particular Network and you can always access those things through other networks and also through the same network, if you are smart too. And even ill never prefer to use a Nokia phone and why to use it anyway. And allowing students to keep cellphones in their lockers will not stop them from using it in the premises and thus defeating the sole purpose of doing it in first place.
xlxzxbxth.x

Con

I disagree, because:
If you keep your smartphones in your lockers during lessons but then as soon as school finished you are allowed to use them, this is almost the same as going home and then immediately using it.
If the teachers in my school catch you with JUST a Nokia brick during school times, the consequences are big.
If the teachers would catch you with a SMARTPHONE during school times, the consequences are massive. Saturday detention. Bang.
So no, they would prevent you from using it in premises.
And even then, it does not make any sense for my school to ban smartphones if they deal with Nokia bricks in that way. So, what I think is that they are dealing it too strictly.
Many people in my school still bring their smartphones to school, but why do they not get discovered?
Exactly. Because by the sight of just a Nokia brick during break times the consequences are too big.
Why bother, then?
We live in 2016 now.
We have phones with 3D touch.
We have smartwatches.
We have computers with touchscreen.
And for a school to not allow something as simple as a smartphone, that is just weird.
We do not live in the 1900s.
We live in 2016.
Period.
aT78

Pro

Your argument totally overlooked the reason behind abstaining smartphones from the school premises. Firstly you are allowed to carry phones without camera and other features because your school administration don't want you to use your cellphones beyond calling. And your argument itself proved that the students of your school don't abide by the rules, so the idea of allowing them to keep the cellphones inside the lockers will fire back, so cant be implemented. Further if you don't like the idea of keeping Nokia phones also then you can always ask your administration to ban those too. The purpose of your school behind banning smartphones isn't to take you back in 1900s but to prevent its misuse during classes. And the only way feasible to achieve that in contrast with the behavior of the students is what your school has already implemented. Thank you!.
Posted by Sincerely_Millenial 1 year ago
Sincerely_Millenial
Why do you have a smart phone in the first place? You're in 6th grade.....
Posted by Troller808 1 year ago
Troller808
Hey CON, I stay at school until 5:15 (I'm 8th grade I have no idea what that is in Britain). Our school does not allow cell-phones and it is for a good reason. And you can't block all of those social media sites, If you download a VPN or a proxy server you can do whatever you like unless your school purchases a cellphone reception jammer, which would make it impossible to do lessons with the smartphone. Here is a tip, if you really want to use it then sneak it, my school has video cameras every where except the restrooms but I've never been caught along with the other 950 students that get away with it.
Posted by TheShaun 1 year ago
TheShaun
Omg, you over privileged piece of trash. Kids do not even need phones in the first place, they are a luxury. When you are at school, the ONLY thing you should concern yourself with is education. Put down the phone and pick up a book, dummy. We have enough stupid people in this world, we don't need you adding to them.