Voltaic
Spud

Should society change their viewpoint on pedophiles?

Voltaic has forfeited round #3.

Voltaic

Pro

I will start off by saying, I am talking about non offending pedophiles, not child molesters and other types of offenders.

I am going to let my opponent start the debate

Rules (singular)
-Be as bias free as possible, base your arguments off of facts and logical deduction instead of traditional viewpoints.
Spud

Con

There is a very good reason why pedophiles are hated. They prey on children who are not able to defend themselves - even "non-offending ones" pose a severe risk to those around them.

This debate could be flipped around for any potential criminal to commit one of the most heinous crimes; such as murder, rape, terrorism or torture. The reason these people are hated is because they will always pose a risk to those around them. Us humans are a social species and people whom act in direct contradiction to the safety of innocent people, will be scorned, and they will be scorned heavily.

In essence non-offending pedophiles pose a risk to those around them, as do potential murderers, terrorists, torturers and other people who are likely to commit heinous acts. Con has not made a reason as to why potential criminals whom are likely to commit heinous crimes, should be given a bit of slack and not be hated nearly as much. I will be interested to see what reason that is.
Voltaic

Pro

A lots of my arguments are based off of personal experience, along with accounts from non offenders, as well as my observations of society. As I write, I have become aware that because of the nature of this argument, there are going to be a lot of assumptions, non the less, I will keep the assumptions as simple and reasonable as possible.

I am not going to argue the fact that even the non offenders are potentially dangerous, what I will argue is they may not seem as dangerous as you think. There are accounts of non offenders who pose no risk to the children around them, even when left unsupervised, such as the founder of Virped which is a online forum for people suffering from pedophilia, who is a confessed non offender. It takes a willpower, but it is doable. You can draw the correlation with priests and nuns not having sexual interaction throughout their lives, though their sexual drive is just as powerful as a normal person. A non offender holds morals, where typically, they treat kids as kids and nothing more. Any sort of manipulation for sexual gain by the pedophile, even legal would be considered offending, thus the pedophile doesn't meet the criteria for non offender. We also have to take into account the morals of non offenders, they are not a non offender not just because of the law, but also because they know it is wrong, so even though they can, and also could get away with it, they don't because it is abuse and morally wrong. Those who hold these types of morals pose virtually no risk to children.
Societies viewpoint on pedophiles mix in both offenders and non offenders, drawing no separation. every pedophile is a child molester or child porn viewer in the eyes of the public. This is one of the things that I do believe society should change, for the benefit of bringing down abuse and to improve the lives of pedophiles. Looking at it for a non offenders point of view. No one knows of the struggles we have been through or what we have to live with. No matter how well we do in controlling our urges, we are still viewed as monsters, and enemies of society, for something we didn't choose or have control over we are condemned to a lifetime of hatred even if we do nothing wrong for all of our lives. (that transition of 'they' to 'we' was intentional, and you know the implications of that switch) to walk this road with no support or even acknowledgement of my struggles from anyone is torture. They all still think you are a monster, and for a while, I believed that. Just because of the way my brain works, I thought I was a worthless piece of scum. This way of thinking almost driven me six feet under on multiple occasions, and is the cause for a fair amount of suicides of other pedophiles. This mindset of society is also counter intuitive for the protection of kids. Some think if they are never going to have any reward for doing anything good, why even try?. If this strong universal hatred for pedophiles was fixed, it would put us in a better position to get help, and make the urges less tempting.

Your debate flip can apply in some circumstances, but basing this off of my previous argument, does not mean they will do it. Almost everyone in their own ways are potential criminals, some more than others. Some might have intense sadistic urges, calling for murder, and torture, yet they still don't do it. Look at rape fetishes, and BDSM, By my guess, there are a majority of which who have rape fetishes don't go through with them, because of their morals.

To close my first argument, I will summarize
Non offending pedophiles pose little risk to those around them. By changing at least one aspect of societies view on them, we could bring down abuse numbers, and improve, possibly saving the lives of the countless number of people who suffer from pedophilia.
Spud

Con

Ok. So I'm dropping out of this debate. There are much more important issues here to focus on rather than Con's arguments.

""This is one of the things that I do believe society should change, for the benefit of bringing down abuse and to improve the lives of pedophiles. Looking at it for a non offenders point of view. No one knows of the struggles we have been through or what we have to live with. No matter how well we do in controlling our urges, we are still viewed as monsters, and enemies of society, for something we didn't choose or have control over we are condemned to a lifetime of hatred even if we do nothing wrong for all of our lives. (that transition of 'they' to 'we' was intentional, and you know the implications of that switch) to walk this road with no support or even acknowledgement of my struggles from anyone is torture.""

That is a segment from Con. I believe Con is setting up this debate in order to validate his own... Urges. I am seriously not qualified to deal with this, and Con needs to seek professional help; something that I cannot provide.

I am going to talk to you now Con directly. I cannot stress enough how important it is that you seek professional help in the form of a psychiatrist or something. That's not something to be ashamed of - you just need help. And I highly recommend you do this as soon as possible. Your best course of action is to seek professional help where experts in their field can offer you assistance. I wish you the best in life, and hope you get the help you need. Have a good night.
Posted by Voltaic 9 months ago
Voltaic
I guess confessing to be a non offending pedophile has to have some talk beacked up to it
To answer some of the questions that you may or may not have,. I have never abuse a kids or watched child porn at any point isn't my life.
I am stable, and have the apropriate strategies for keeping myself and others safe for the rest of my life.
And to clarify cons concerns, I have been to countless therapy sessions for this.

Any questions feel free to message me.
Posted by Spud 9 months ago
Spud
This a segment from Con.

"This is one of the things that I do believe society should change, for the benefit of bringing down abuse and to improve the lives of pedophiles. Looking at it for a non offenders point of view. No one knows of the struggles we have been through or what we have to live with. No matter how well we do in controlling our urges, we are still viewed as monsters, and enemies of society, for something we didn't choose or have control over we are condemned to a lifetime of hatred even if we do nothing wrong for all of our lives. (that transition of 'they' to 'we' was intentional, and you know the implications of that switch) to walk this road with no support or even acknowledgement of my struggles from anyone is torture."

... Should I be concerned?

Wtf. I'm honestly at a loss if I should even continue this debate after that.

I don't go around saying "muh oppression, people don't know how hard it is that I stop myself from murdering people in broad daylight." I'm not a psychopath for one; anyone who thinks in the way that you do, really do have issues. The only thing I can recommend at this point in time is for you to seek professional help - I am most certainly not qualified to help you.
Posted by ChrisArthur 9 months ago
ChrisArthur
Good luck getting someone to argue you on this. I am beyond curious to see how this plays out. Though, I do think that philochristos is right. You need to specify WAY more. From the vagueness of this argument topic, it is very unclear what your intentions are. I am not going to lie, I questioned your sanity and even cringed a bit when I read this. I'm sure you mean good and no harm, but It's a little sick sounding unless you explain as SPECIFICALLY as possible. As for Sonofcharl, it can be spelled either way.
Posted by philochristos 9 months ago
philochristos
BJanders96, it sounds like you should accept the debate and make your arguments there.
Posted by BJanders96 9 months ago
BJanders96
This is a ridiculous topic for debate (not trying to be rude...). If society were to be more accepting of pedophiles, there would probably be more people that commit offenses because it's not as "unacceptable" as it used to be. If society were to change, it should only be to become more strict on the subject.
Posted by Sonofcharl 9 months ago
Sonofcharl
Paedophile.
Posted by Voltaic 9 months ago
Voltaic
I should have been more specific. Pedophiles, even the ones that have not done anything wrong, are universally hated, and despised.
Posted by philochristos 9 months ago
philochristos
What do you mean by "non-offending pedophiles"? Do you mean adults who are attracted to youngsters but don't do anything about it?

What do you think society's viewpoint is that ought to be changed? Do you mean society's viewpoint that it's immoral? Or that it ought to be punished? or that it's a mental illness? Or that the attraction is ought to be avoided?