LarryLemon1
kylemoto

Should solitary confinement only be allowed on prisoners for a three day period at a time?

LarryLemon1

Pro

Prisoners should only be given solitary confinement three days at a time before a break period because it drives the sane insane and is cruel punishment because humans are social beings.

The first round will be a brief presentation of arguments like this one and then in the next rounds we will get into a deeper debate thanks - LarryLemon1
kylemoto

Con

Prisoners should not be given solitary confinement for only three days because they will be taught a lesson by staying in solitary confinement for a long period of time, and because if they are in solitary confinement for only three days they will commit more crimes when released.
Now I would like to refute their basic arguments.
Who cares if humans are social beings if they are in solitary confinement? When they commit serious crimes, they become social outcasts.
Next you said that it is cruel punishment. However, it teaches the criminals the lesson that you should not commit crimes like they did.
Thank you for creating this debate, opponent.
LarryLemon1

Pro

LarryLemon1 forfeited this round.
kylemoto

Con

Since my opponent forfeited this round, I would like to go deeper into my points.
1. The prisoners will be taught a lesson by staying in solitary confinement for more than three days at a time. If the people are not in solitary confinement for more than three days, they will not be taught a lesson, how brutal it is to face the consequences of crime, and then commit more crimes. I trust you have been hearing about all these recent shootings. According to ABC News, two of these shooters were recently released from prison, and were not in solitary confinement.
Now I would like to refute my opponent's points in further depth.
1. They said it is insane to put people in solitary confinement for more than three days. However, it teaches them a lesson not to commit more crimes.
2. People are actually considered more of social outcasts for committing serious crimes because everyone hates them, because crime is bad. So putting them in solitary confinement for more than three days actually does something.
LarryLemon1

Pro

LarryLemon1 forfeited this round.
kylemoto

Con

Hello.
Now that my opponent has forfeited again, I would like to go deeper into my points again.
So in conclusion, my main argument is that putting people in solitary confinement for more than three days teaches them a lesson not to commit crimes in the future.
And remember. Solitary confinement for more than three days is GOOD!!!!! It will teach people a lesson, and hopefully stop crime in the future of our world.
LarryLemon1

Pro

So to clarify why I had to forfeit my computer/laptop recently broke so I would have had to post with my IPod and that can be very sketchy connection wise so that is why. Now I will rebuttal or defend against my opponents arguments and then I will restate deeper why you should vote for me.
My opponent is saying that to teach these criminals lessons it is okay to drive them so insane that when they get out of prison they will not be able to even attempt to live a normal life. The law should rise above this scare tactic instead of dipping as low as to actually use it for years. My opponents second point was that these criminals are considered social outcasts when really they are quite the opposite. You said yourself that you heard about these shooters through the news. The shooters or other criminals get tons and tons of publicity and lots of these criminals do these things for the publicity. Hitler is considered a hero by some people and think that the holocaust is just slander. I am not saying that we need to get rid of solitary confinement but simply for it to be served in tens that don't cause the sane to go insane
kylemoto

Con

kylemoto forfeited this round.
LarryLemon1

Pro

I will go deeper into my arguments to show why you should vote for me since my opponent is hopefully busy or having computer issues so we can continue when he is ready. To teach criminals a lesson is to put them in jail so they can think about what they did and they can then try to live a normal life when they get out. This is already causing them to pay for they're crimes so they shouldn't have to be so far away from everyone which as I have mentioned can cause them to go insane even if they went in normal. The one hour out of their cell to exercise isn't enough especially since they have no human interaction. This treatment borders on cruel and unusual treatment. To defend against my opponents next point I can say that since these people get tons and tons of publicity they are not always treated as social outcasts. As I mentioned before, Hitler even present day is regarded as victim of unjust slander. These people believe that World War II never happened and the Holocaust was a lie. So there will always be those who believe in the full expression of the first amendment and openly voice their support of mass murderers and other such criminals. This will also help those that may have been wrongfully convicted to stay sane and hopeful for the future. You should vote for my side of the debate because a society can be judged by the way they treat they're prisoners as one great philosopher once said. If we cause our prisoners to go insane especially those wrongfully convicted then how can our society be judged.
kylemoto

Con

kylemoto forfeited this round.
Posted by aberum1 3 years ago
aberum1
As the debate stands, lemon larrylemon is in the lead. So far, he has successfully been able to get his point across and rebut,even when missing a turn. Though the con is VERY capable of coming back.
Posted by LarryLemon1 3 years ago
LarryLemon1
Sorry for not posting my argument until the last second I know how unerving that can be sometimes. Thank you for accepting the debate it is a difficult topic to argue.
Vote Placed by aberum1 3 years ago
aberum1
LarryLemon1kylemotoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Overall,the con's case structure is what helped me vote. Without his correct evaluations, the pro would have won by a landslide. In the end, the pro BARELY won this debate. Good job to both debaters.