gt4o2007
Masterfrogger

Should someone suffering from depression be enabled as support to get over there depression?

gt4o2007
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

gt4o2007

Con

Thank you in advance to who ever decides to accept this debate.

First I would like to define 3 words as to not have a clarification debate but rather a well rounded articulated discussion on a serious issue.

Support- To give help or assistance. ~Merriam Webster

Depression-a serious medical condition in which a person feels very sad, hopeless, and unimportant and often is unable to live in a normal way. ~Merriam Webster

Enable-To make (someone or something) able to do or be something. ~Merriam Webster

To clarify the debate in it's entirety we are not debating on if we should or should not help depressed people.

We are debating how to support and help rid the person of there depression.

The examples of depression I would like to use would be.

Someone suffering from a close personal death that had a significant role in there life i.e. Mother/Father

Complete loss of all economic worth going from 100 to 0.

These are only examples and I welcome any examples that pro can come up with.

Round One- Assert position.
Round Two- Rebuttal (possible new points)
Round Three- Rebuttal (possible new points)
Round Four- Rebuttal (possible new points)
Round Five- Closing Argument where absolutely no new points can be raised by either Pro or Con.

Asserted Position.

My position on this topic is that someone suffering from depression should under no circumstances be enabled to dwell on the fact that something bad has happened as it will only lead to further thinking on there depression and lead them into a deeper state of depression. In my opinion to lead someone out of depression you must focus on the future and how it can or possibly not better then where they are in that point in life.

To point to an example take a mother that loses her partner and child in a car crash. Should the mother be allowed to continuously dwell on the fact that she now has no child or partner or focus on the fact that things can get better if permitted to do so by her?

Should someone suffering from stage 4 cancer that has been told they will die be allowed to continuously ask why me?

I would say that nobody under any circumstances should be enabled into these thinking's and steered clear of any thought of them from friends, family, and colleagues.

I fully recognize the opposing arguments and fully look forward to debating this topic as it is a very personal one that truly in my opinion can change many minds on the topic of depression whether it be agreeing with me or disagreeing with me on how to help someone suffering from it.
Masterfrogger

Pro

I believe that when a person is depressed that they must dwell on what happened for a period of time but must not be excessive to the point where it affects there job,studies and so on.I believe that if they do not dwell on it at all they shall never fully get over it or solve it.They must think about it and realize it happened.And that the best they could do is to trie and live with it while always remembering what happened so you will not fall to it again.Yet they must not stay and focus on it.My point is that it must be thought on but accepted.
gt4o2007

Con

Thank you for accepting.

" I believe that when a person is depressed that they must dwell on what happened for a period of time but must not be excessive to the point where it affects there job, studies and so on."

The definition of depression is not being able to live in a normal way due to feeling sad and hopeless. To allow someone suffering from depression defined from what we agreed upon to dwell for any amount of time is detrimental to the entire existence of that person's life and those immediately affected by that person. Let me explain, when a parent loses there child in an accident they should not focus on the fact that there child was killed but rather focus on that they're child had a full life until they died. The future can not be held down by the past and nobody should assist in providing fuel to the fire but rather extinguish the fire by helping the parent move on and effectively stopping the grieving process before it can cause serious depression to where it is nearly impossible to help someone because they are fully and completely consumed by there depression.
Masterfrogger

Pro

Ok yes if it is affecting there life but if a man loses his house his job his money due to him being a drug addict he becomes depressed he must be forced to focus upon what happened.instead of not coming face to face with it.but should be helped once he faced it.my point being a person will have to reflect on it or they will continue living with the same problems.
gt4o2007

Con

"First I would like to define 3 words as to not have a clarification debate but rather a well rounded articulated discussion on a serious issue.

Enable-To make (someone or something) able to do or be something. ~Merriam Webster"

"Ok yes if it is affecting there life"~ Pro

The very definition of depression is that it affects a persons life. Furthermore there can be different causes of depression.

Lets take the example of the drug addict that loses everything because they became reliant upon the substance. The drug addict has a physical element they're able to change and get help by going to rehab and not falling into another state of addiction or reliance upon anyone or thing. The depression that they held is actually something I would argue they need to not focus on that there house is gone or there car, they should focus on the future and the fact that they can stop and have a better life. Addiction is NOT Depression.

The example of the mother losing her child is completely different in that she did not bring the car crash upon herself but rather it was a random act in which was out of her control. In this case lets apply what you said about the drug addict. "My point being a person will have to reflect on it or they will continue living with the same problems."
I'm sure you're reasoning can not come into affect here because the mother had zero control over the situation.

Instead of trying to confuse Addiction with Depression please focus on depression it self so we can have a real debate. Also please do not try to redefine the words they were defined from the very beginning and by accepting the debate you agreed to the terms.
Masterfrogger

Pro

Masterfrogger forfeited this round.
gt4o2007

Con

As my opponent is not stating anything I will just leave the same response.
Masterfrogger

Pro

Masterfrogger forfeited this round.
gt4o2007

Con

Opponent has forfeited nothing else to say
Masterfrogger

Pro

Masterfrogger forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
gt4o2007Masterfrogger
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Pro never offered a substantive rebuttal, and abandoned the debate. Points to Con. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.