DebaterOfTheMonth
footballchris561

Should starters on a basketball team be started as better than everyone else?

footballchris561

DebaterOfTheMonth

Con

I'm playing on a basketball team this year and there are a set of kids who are the "starters," the starters in our group are usually titled as the best since they are starting, I understand that they have worked hard for their title, but what about the others? I've seen starters that are horrible while the ones who had to set on the bench the first half of the game were almost left out of the glory, but when they hit the court they would do so much better than the starters. I've seen basketball teams that didn't care who the starters were, I've heard that some coaches tell the crowd that all of the basketball players were equal. I wish all basketball teams were like this. There's no "I' in team at all, and there's no "G" in team either. Leaving the rest of the basketball players out of the picture really brings down their confidence and I'm sure it will affect how they play. It could have such a huge negative impact on the other players. This can also lead to bully's in a physical manner if someone proves to be better than a starter and "dethrones" it. What do you think?
footballchris561

Pro

The starting position on a basketball team is the most important clearly self explanatory. The starters play the most minutes because the are the best and give the team the best chance at winning. It is also somewhat of a reward in all levels of the game for working hard. Putting someone on the bench is somewhat symbolically of a punishment for not working hard enough. If someone was simply just granted a starting position on the team even if they aren't that good how does that teach them anything? Someone being given a starting position without earning it teaches nothing except that they can get things handed to them in life easily without working for it. How can this translate to be positive in the future of their life?

This debate is categorized as education. So let me ask you something. What kind of lesson can you learn from getting something without earning something.
DebaterOfTheMonth

Con

Your wrong, the starting position on the basketball team was originally used as a team decision. They would vote on who they would like to start and everyone would be fine with it. And I feel your overstepping the boundaries when you say putting someone on the bench is somewhat symbolically a punishment. "Putting someone on the bench is somewhat symbolically of a punishment for not working hard enough." Most of the starters on the basketball teams don't even deserve it! Putting someone on the bench because of poor evaluation skills from the coach is not fair at all! The starters need to be picked based on their stats, I've seen coaches just pick favorites because hes seen them make good plays, but it's usually not even from that. Starters should be a team decision, not just the coaches.
footballchris561

Pro

Okay this might take a while as there are so many contradictions in your argument. Let me start by saying that you never answered my question.

"You're wrong"
With a debate like this there really aren't any solid facts to be talked about so most of this is a debate of opinion and logic. In all debates you should refrain from calling anyone 'wrong' because if you are right that about me being wrong this wouldn't be a debate.

"the starting position on the basketball team was originally used as a team decision. They would vote on who they would like to start and everyone would be fine with it."
There are a couple problems with this. One is I am pretty sure that you are trying to argue in this debate that the starters on a team shouldn't necessarily be the best players. I am arguing that the starters on the team should be the best players. That means that we are arguing how things should be not how things are. Therefore that statement about how things are on your basketball team (or was) does not matter. The second problem is that even if it did matter not every school (or team) runs things the same way your team does. When I was 5 I started playing football and only the best players were chosen to start showing that age doesn't make a difference.

"And I feel your overstepping the boundaries when you say putting someone on the bench is somewhat symbolically a punishment."
I do not feel I am overstepping my boundaries. When I played football If I made a mistake or the coach even thought I wasn't trying hard enough or hustling he would bench me. I tried out for the basketball team and did not make it at all let alone get put on the bench. If I had been better and or worked harder I would have made the team. It is my fault. Should I have been rewarded for not being good enough?

"Most of the starters on the basketball teams don't even deserve it!"
I can't really counter this without understanding it better. Can you clearly define why they don't deserve it?

"Putting someone on the bench because of poor evaluation skills from the coach is not fair at all!"
If that is not fair what is? letting bias children decide who should start? Yeah sometimes it isn't fair. My coach had his son on the team and he might have treated him better than others but that happens. Life is unfair and this happens. Most of the time the coach knows what they are doing though.

"The starters need to be picked based on their stats"
Stats can lie. What if someone consistently got bad match ups and his stats looked good. How good someone plays on defense does not show up in stats. That is why we have coaches to notice things like this and make the best possible decision to win the game.

"I've seen coaches just pick favorites because hes seen them make good plays"
If someone makes good plays doesn't that mean they are a good 'play'er.

"but it's usually not even from that."
Sorry I don't understand what this means or how it applies.

"Starters should be a team decision, not just the coaches."
The players on the team have a bias opinion. What if the biggest strongest player bullies the other players to vote for him? I'm just adding my own probable assumptions.

I have made my argument. Please answer my questions.

DebaterOfTheMonth

Con

I lost this argument horribly, but you have a good point. I'll make sure to notice things like these next time.
footballchris561

Pro

Thank you. You are probably still young. You can work on debating and you will get better. When you type an argument try to think as the other person and think on how you would try to counter your own argument and then try to adjust to make a more solid argument. Try to make yourself unbiased by considering both sides and putting yourself in other peoples shoes to get different perspectives.

good luck.
Posted by DebaterOfTheMonth 2 years ago
DebaterOfTheMonth
Yeah, thanks
Posted by footballchris561 2 years ago
footballchris561
You are smarter than I was at 13. When you get older and practice you will get a lot better.
That is really great that you play sports also. I have been playing my whole life just about anything that involves physical activity. I practice almost every day and am still trying to get better at basketball and am going to try out for the team again next year. Keep playing.
Posted by DebaterOfTheMonth 2 years ago
DebaterOfTheMonth
Yeah, thanks. I'm only 13 right now, I'm still diving into the topic and a teacher suggested this to me.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
DebaterOfTheMonthfootballchris561Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession
Vote Placed by Hylian_3000 2 years ago
Hylian_3000
DebaterOfTheMonthfootballchris561Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 2 years ago
Paleophyte
DebaterOfTheMonthfootballchris561Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conceded by Con