Plomaster69
jacobie1121

Should stores be closed on Sundays?

jacobie1121

Plomaster69

Con

Should stores be closed on Sundays to promote stronger family values (or any values in general) ?
Round 1: Accept and initial statement(s)
2: Rebut
3: closing statement

Lets have fun :)

Round 1: I believe stores should NOT be closed on Sundays. In fact, I believe that stores should not be closed any day of the week (unless the individual store owner deems necessary for the sake of the business). This will lead to higher levels of productivity in stores and the need to fill more hours therefore creating more jobs. Business owners are in it for just that, business, not to shut the store down to promote "family values" or anything of the like.

It would also benefit the average consumer because with stores being closed on Sundays that's 1/7 of their week being completely shut off from being able to consume goods and services.
As an example, a recent Sunday I was driving home from work and was hungry but had no food to cook in the house. I stopped by a local pizzeria to find out it was closed which caused me to go hungry for a while longer. Had the pizzeria been open I could have satisfied my own personal hunger as well as contributed to the economy by putting my currency into a small local business.
jacobie1121

Pro

I accept. Thank you, Plomaster69, as this shall be interesting.

Per the rules of this debate, I will state all of my arguments this first round.

Argument 1: For the employees (part 1) + for the owner (part 1)

Some employees are feel very strongly about religion and their beliefs. For example, if you had a very good employee (only one employee in a business, besides the owner), one that felt very strongly on going to church on Sundays, working for you and helping your business make a profit, you would want to show your thanks for your employee, not take away a religious freedom and make your employee work hard through times that they would be normally in church or other religious places that are VERY important to them.

Again, using the example, Christian's "focus is on honoring God and our secondary focus is on making money." I personally am not Christian, but it doesn't matter. For this employee, the focus in their life is to "honor god," not work through times that they are missing out on their focus in life.

Argument 2: For the employees (part 2)

Everyone loves family. Imagine if because your great employee had to work, they could not see their family. Let's use the same example as above, (one employee, besides the owner.) The employee's family lives in Mexico (your employee is an immigrant) and the family comes up one Sunday a year for 5 hours and says hi to your employee. Having a great time with their family is cut short because they have to work during the time they could be having a great family reunion with loved ones.

Argument 3: For the employees (part 3) + for the owner (part 2)

People get tired. If your business has anything to with physical work, having to work on Sundays with all the other days gets tiring. Imagine if you had to lift wood EVERY DAY. Straight. This can lead to many muscles being sore or even spraining or injuring limbs.

Argument 4: for the owner (part 3)

Employing helpers costs money. If you have employees working for you every Sunday it adds up. Having to pay for employees and extra 50+ days a year compared to not having to pay a large sum of money for them is just not worth keeping your business open on Sundays for. Now, before you say that the extra money you make that Sunday is more than the money you have to pay your employee, try imagining a business that does not make much money, like so many small businesses nowadays.

Thank you,
Jacob

http://www.christianitytoday.com...

My Brain
Plomaster69

Con

Plomaster69 forfeited this round.
jacobie1121

Pro

Nothing to dispute anything that I said? That's a shame. Actually, not really. Anyways...

"stores should not be closed any day of the week (unless the individual store owner deems necessary for the sake of the business)."

This just proves my point! The owner of some small businesses should and will close stores because it is bad for business. The extra cost of hiring someone for the extra day and the extra cost to clean up is just not worth the small business you averagely get on Sundays.

___________________________________________________________________

"It would also benefit the average consumer because with stores being closed on Sundays that's 1/7 of their week being completely shut off from being able to consume goods and services."

Any normal person goes shopping for more than just one day. You don't just think of what you are having tonight, you also think of what you are having tomorrow. Just do this on Saturday than you will be completely fine on Sunday.

Though if you really are that desperate, there are many online grocery delivery websites that you could sign up for.

I know this is very short but there was not much to dispute in the first place.

I await your arguments,
Jacobie1121

Plomaster69

Con

Plomaster69 forfeited this round.
jacobie1121

Pro

Another Forfeit? Oh well.

WHY I SHOULD WIN

My opponent has forfeited and I have provided info worthy to overpower my opponents.

VOTE PRO!!!!!!
Posted by jacobie1121 2 years ago
jacobie1121
Ok, this might be a day or two but....let's do this!
Posted by Plomaster69 2 years ago
Plomaster69
Yes please :)
Posted by jacobie1121 2 years ago
jacobie1121
Would you like me to state all my arguments the first round?
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Plomaster69jacobie1121Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
Plomaster69jacobie1121Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by mishapqueen 2 years ago
mishapqueen
Plomaster69jacobie1121Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited and Pro gave good logical responses that proved his point.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
Plomaster69jacobie1121Tied
Vote Placed by DarthKirones 2 years ago
DarthKirones
Plomaster69jacobie1121Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.