Miss.Falconieri
its.chandler

Should students be able to choose who's in their class?

its.chandler

Miss.Falconieri

Con

Should students be able to choose who's in their class? No we don't think that students should be able to choose who is in their class.

One reason we don't think that students should be able to choose who's in their class so their is a variety of students within the classroom, some who you know and some who you do not. This will allow new friendships, and an improvement in socializing with others. According to Bandura's Social Learning Theory, "Individuals that are observed are called models. In society, children are surrounded by many influential models, such as parents within the family, characters on children"s TV, friends within their peer group and teachers at school."

Another reason why students should not be able to choose who is in their class is because there is a high possibility of choosing friends, which would distract them from their academics. For example, a child could pick his/hers 3 best friends and fool around, talking or exchanging notes with their friends not only distracting their peers but also distracting the teacher as she is teaching.

A third reason why students should not be able to pick their classmates is because it can cause some students to be rejected by others. When students are ostracized or left out it could lead to a judgmental atmosphere. This is where students would judge our friends instead of having a friendly/ helpful community .

A last reason, for a student not being able to pick their friends in their class, is because students may fight over one or two students to be with. This makes it hard for the friend who is in the middle to choose which class to be in. Making it unfair for both parties involved.
its.chandler

Pro

Some reasons why it would be a good idea to choose who is in your class.

1. This could allow more "class conversation." For example, in class kids may not feel like they can speak freely, they may be shy, or they may think that kids will judge them if they get the answer wrong. Allowing kids to choose people they prefer, they are going to choose the group that they are more comfortable with, this could cause them to want to answer the questions in class and have a mature conversation on the subject.

2. There won't be making fun of, or bullying in the classroom. If they are all friends they won't be bullying or harassing each other; they will all get along.

3. Projects at school would be more likely to get done. If the kids are good friends, they most likely go to each others houses. They could get the projects done.

Most kids may have a lot of friends, but they will always have those few close friends. They will be more likely to choose them.
Miss.Falconieri

Con

Even though students being able to pick their friends within their classroom may lead to more "class conversation," it could also lead to off task conversation about topics outside of school. It is always nice to feel comfortable with your friends within the classroom when answering questions; however, when you step outside the classroom into real life you will not always have your friends as a crutch to lean on. Sometimes having constructive criticism, from others that you are not as close with, builds self confidence to take risks and not let snark comments bother you. Also, if you are able to pick your friends, boys are more likely to pick boys and girls are more likely to pick girls. This may create a more hostile environment within the classroom. Furthermore, you will not gain the right social skills if you are in a class with all girls or all boys when you get to the career life.

To your point about students feeling more comfortable within the classroom, what if you are a new student within the district? Being able to pick your closest friends, you being the new student you would not know who to choose. In addition, if you were in a classroom where students were able to pick their friends and they do feel comfortable, the close knit group of friends may not extend their invite outside of their group making the new student feel ostracized.

To your point about students getting projects completed early or on time, we completely disagree. For example, for the last social studies unit, we were assigned a Lenape project. Even though we were not able to choose our partners for the project, we were able to get it done, and a tad more efficiently. We received a good grade, and we believe if we worked with our friends we would have focused more on painting nails or playing sports/video games.
its.chandler

Pro

" if we worked with our friends we would have focused more on painting nails or playing sports/video games."
I disagree with you. I was in a group with my best friends, sure we joked around and had a good time, but we got the project done and received a good grade. I'm not saying that all students will do this, but I believe a majority of them will get the work done.

To your new student comment, I can relate. I moved to Arizona about a month and a half ago and I was a new student. I came from a private school of 150 kids to a public school of 800 kids. Everyone welcomed me. As soon as I got in the school I had people coming up to me talking. Now I have a TON of friends and a great boyfriend. I believe that your statement could have some truth to it, but I think that a new student would feel welcomed as I did.
Miss.Falconieri

Con

Miss.Falconieri forfeited this round.
its.chandler

Pro

Well that sucks! my partner forfeited! Vote pro!
Miss.Falconieri

Con

Miss.Falconieri forfeited this round.
its.chandler

Pro

Vote pro!
Posted by red_x 9 months ago
red_x
I am with con before and after the debate, i don't think this a good idea at all.
Pro would get the conduct point as he has not forfeited any f=rounds while his opposition has forfeited two rounds.
It would be tied for spelling and grammar as they both used impeccable spelling and grammar.
Pro made more convincing arguments. He used persuasion really well in his arguments where con lacked.
Beither used any sources so tied.
Posted by cburrow01 9 months ago
cburrow01
In theory, this model of grouping classes based on student preferences is great. I know I personally, and many other I know work best with people they are compatible with (i.e friends). Every time I have worked with someone I don't know or work well with, someone, usually me, ends up doing most of the work. I usually don't get bad grade regardless of who I'm working with but it is much easier with my friends.
However, in practice this model falls apart. Most schools have certain classes set for specific periods. It's already complicated to create a schedule that works for an individual student. Further molding the schedule on a students whim makes the process impossible.
Posted by red_x 9 months ago
red_x
One time in english, we had to choose a song and read into the lyrics for our final project. We had three days to do this and my group, my two closest friends and I spent 2 and a half days arguing about what song to do. We got a 100% on that project.
Posted by finn.b14 9 months ago
finn.b14
Great debate!
Posted by its.chandler 9 months ago
its.chandler
I agree it is a tough decision. I wasn't even going to do the debate, but I thougt that I need to stand up for the kids!! ----(laughing)
Posted by red_x 9 months ago
red_x
This would be hard as i both disagree and agree with you. It isn't necessary for it as it encourage social behavior, but if someone is being bullied it would be helpful. If i could pick whos in my class I would pick no one...
Vote Placed by CAHAL101 9 months ago
CAHAL101
Miss.Falconieriits.chandlerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con has forfeited the rounds so pro wins but Pro had the best arguments so my Votes go to Pro