kaelanred1
Zarroette

Should students be able to get into college for free no matter what?

Zarroette

kaelanred1

Pro

Zarroette

Con

I accept. Pro has the burden of proof to affirm the resolution. I await his/her opening round arguments.
kaelanred1

Pro

kaelanred1 forfeited this round.
Zarroette

Con

To win this debate, all I have to do is provide one example of a student that should not be able to get into college for free.

A1: A student who is in jail/ a mental institution

Let us imagine a student who has raped 20 people, has murdered 40 others, has molested 200 children, has littered 1,000,000 times, owns a drug racket that sells ice and coke, has 25 mental illnesses, has never paid taxed despite earning millions, enjoys the music of Justin Bieber, celebrated the anniversary of 9/11, eats the last piece of pizza in the fridge, appeared on the Weekly Stupid a couple of times and thinks that the Illuminati uses his/her bath water to deflect extra-terrestrial signals back on the 5th moon of the demi-god Anixia.

I think that since this student has broken numerous laws, is clearly completely unstable in the mind, has poor tastes in several areas and is just a general wanker, this student should not be able to get into college for free, if not on a moral ground, on the fact that the student will be in jail and/or a mental institution.

The resolution is negated.
kaelanred1

Pro

I'm only saying this for most of the "bad"people. As in people that have been to jail, or someone who has failed the last grade, or some sort of thing like that!
Zarroette

Con

Thank you, Pro.

My opponent's counter-argument appears to defy the resolution. Quote:

"I'm only saying this for most of the "bad"people. As in people that have been to jail, or someone who has failed the last grade, or some sort of thing like that!"

The resolution reads: Should students be able to get into college for free no matter what?

As you can see, "only for" =/= "no matter what". In effect, this means that because I have shown an instance wherein the resolution cannot be affirmed, then I have negated the "no matter what" clause, hence my opponent's counter-argument is insufficient. Therefore, the resolution remains negated.
kaelanred1

Pro

I don't need you to correct my mistake, just debate about what i kind of reposted instead of my original dibate!
Zarroette

Con

Thank you, Pro.

Counter-arguments

"I don't need you to correct my mistake
, just debate about what i kind of reposted instead of my original dibate!"

Pro concedes that there was a "mistake" in his/her line of argumentation, hence my negation of the resolution stands. Pro then requests that we change the resolution ("just debate about what I kind of resposted instead of my original dibate"). Essentially, Pro wants to change the resolution now because he/she has no answer to my counter-arguments, other than to admit that there was a "mistake" on his/her behalf. I will leave it to you, as the voter, to make of that what you will.

Extend my arguments.

kaelanred1

Pro

kaelanred1 forfeited this round.
Zarroette

Con

My summary of the debate: I provided a clear example of where a student should not be allowed to get into college for free, my opponent concedes that he/she made a mistake with the resolution, and then tries to change the resolution.

Please vote for me :)
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
Even people who failed high school?
Posted by Lexus 2 years ago
Lexus
Naming a single instance where a person should not have 100% free tuition will result in Pro losing because of the resolution's wording
Posted by XVIII18 2 years ago
XVIII18
Are you attempting to debate that students should have free tuition?
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
kaelanred1ZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con. Pro forfeited various rounds, which is rarely acceptable conduct in any debate setting. S&G - Con. Pro failed to spell properly and failed to use proper grammar as evidenced in R4. Con had no such errors. Arguments - Con. Pro failed to rebut anything that Con presented, whereas Con soundly defeated everything presented by Pro. Since Pro had the BOP, he needed to overcome the challenges presented by Con and failed to do so such as the case with students who are in jail/mental institution. Pro merely tried shifting the goalposts as Con pointed out in the following round. Thus, Con wins arguments. Sources - Tie. Neither utilized sources in this debate.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
kaelanred1ZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ouch... Not even a concession, pro self refuted in a hard way to follow, skipped rounds, and even messed up the spelling of debate "dibate."
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 2 years ago
Paleophyte
kaelanred1ZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeits, fails to make any argument and spelled "dibate" incorrectly.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
kaelanred1ZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture