Intellisio
Leaning

Should students be able to grade their teachers?

Intellisio

Intellisio

Pro

Students should be able to grade their teachers.
The first round is for acceptance. I look forward to this debate. Please do not forfeit.
Leaning

Con

I accept and hope that this debate will be completed to the end as well.
Intellisio

Pro

Pros when a students grades their teacher:
Teachers receives constructive feedback on teaching methods.
Students feel respected since they are allowed to grade their own teachers.
Majority of students do take this seriously and grade accurately.
Teachers learn methods on which they can improve.
Affects how comfortable students feel around teachers.
Better learning environment.
Allows teachers to understand and help students better.

Sources: https://learning.blogs.nytimes.com...
https://www.nytimes.com...
https://www.theatlantic.com...
Leaning

Con

Students being allowed to grade their teachers sounds like a nice concept but is both unnecessary and not nearly as helpful as may be commonly thought.

Teachers asking their students how a lesson might have been improved or what had helped them can be done by the teacher themselves without adding unnecessary paperwork and added complexity.
If students have any issues with their teachers, then this is what parents and the PTA are for. Again why add an unneeded solution to a problem that already has solutions in place?
School is a place for students to learn. Why take time away that could be used for studying and lectures to have students try to reform the education system?
Their requests will go far overboard, even to the stage of losing respect to their teachers.
If we truly thought students in school had the good judgment and will to know what was best for them, then cell phones would be allowed in class to aid in study.
Intellisio

Pro

REBUTTAL:
Con said, "If students have any issues with their teachers, then this is what parents and the PTA are for." Students spend the most time with their teachers than parents and the PTA. Students will be able to address the problem and take action. Parents can attempt, but they aren't a witness. They're receiving information from the student. The information isn't first person. Besides, a teacher will often attempt to try harder to fix flaws if a student honestly gives their opinion.

Con stated "Why take time away that could be used for studying and lectures to have students try to reform the education system?" In my opinion, this survey itself is a learning experience. Students learn to stand up for what they believe in and offer constructive feedback. If you really care about learning time, these surveys could be assigned as homework. Students could take this survey along with their homework. That doesn't seem to affect their learning, will it?

Con made the claim that "Their requests will go far overboard, even to the stage of losing respect to their teachers." There will be consequences if such behavior occurs. Often, if students are aware of the consequences, they will not attempt to fool around on such an important topic.

Con also brought in usage of phones. "If we truly thought students in school had the good judgment and will to know what was best for them, then cell phones would be allowed in class to aid in study." The reason why phones are not allowed have nothing to do with their 'good' judgement. Cell phones are addictive and an easy distraction. Often, adults find a hard time resisting the urge to reply to that last text. This problem doesn't only apply to students.

I hope these reasons convince you or change your mind on this matter. I would like to thank my opponent for this respectful and courteous debate. I had a great time debating with you. I fully respect your views, but my opinion has not wavered at all. Vote Pro!
Leaning

Con

While the information would be first person, one could argue that by being in and immersed in the situation effects their ability to judge the situation without bias.

Students and teachers could have a hard time judging what is truly fair or a good policy.
Which is why despite not being able to spend all their time in the classroom, third hand observers like the principle or the PTA exist.

Much of what a teachers curriculum is, is not decided by them but by the school they work for or boards of education. It seems unfair to let teachers be judged based upon factors which are not always in their control.

Many teachers have more difficult classes with less leeway on their part on what and how they can teach.

Most teachers or students when given the choice between more and less homework would choose less.
If you gave the students a choice at the beginning of a school year to have to do extra (grade the teacher homework, throughout the year), I believe most would choose not to.
And if this is about listening to what the majority of students want, shouldn't we do away with this thought and leave what is unbroken fixed the way it is?

I thank my opponent for this debate and think that they made excellent arguments throughout and am glad win or lose as it looks to be the first debate in which my opponent stayed until the end.
Posted by dsjpk5 5 months ago
dsjpk5
I want to thank whoever reported my vote. I always love a good laugh!
Posted by whiteflame 5 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: dsjpk5// Mod action: NOT Removed<

3 points to Pro (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision:

[*Reason non-removal*] The voter is not required to post an RFD on this debate. Moreover, the debate is over 1 months past the end of the voting period, and therefore well past the statute of limitations for moderation.
************************************************************************
Posted by Leaning 6 months ago
Leaning
Yeesh, that was hard to argue. Personally I don't think I made any good arguments for con. And I did and do agree with Pro, just fun to try to be the devils advocate at times. Still, I thought there would be SOME good arguments for con somewhere. Looked around really aren't.

http://www.debate.org...

Also, my comments in the comment section totally don't count toward the debate or voting parts.
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 6 months ago
FollowerofChrist1955
That is an education topic. Please remove and put in correct place under EDUCATION!
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 6 months ago
dsjpk5
IntellisioLeaningTied