banana1234
bman7720

Should students be able to listen to music with limitations in school

banana1234

Pro

YES!!! It has been scientifically proved, multiple times, that students benefit from listening to music while studying. The limits within the school would allow teachers to decide when students are able to listen to music and when they can't. If other students would rather not listen to music because it distracts them, so be it. It is a free world!!!

http://www.dailyherald.com...
bman7720

Con

As my opponent states, it is beneficial to academic skills to listen to enjoyable music while studying. However, the studying part is where we hit a bump in the road, so to speak. Students are already distracted with the luxurious technologies available to them, I am actually in a debate over the issue currently.

Students are already distracted as it is when it comes to studying. Many lack the willpower to sit down and learn when technology is readily available. There are two ways schools could go about allowing students to listen to music; handheld devices or computers. If a student uses a handheld device, it's already an issue in many schools of misuse. Cellphones are easily concealable and an available distraction to students. Computers, even with proxy settings, are portals to all kinds of games and other distractions.
banana1234

Pro

Yes, I agree most students lack the willpower to sit and study, but the music helps them focus. Say, for example, that a student is having family trouble at home where they cannot get their homework done. Yes this is a problem within itself, but music and help calibrate the mind towards learning. What if a student is unable to sleep at night, music is know to rejuvenate both young and old minds. During school hours, this can prevent students from laying their head down and taking a cat nap.

Yes, technology is a major distraction which is why if schools do have Ipads, Ipods, computers etc. they have multiple restrictions on them. This limits the students activities while using the technology. My school uses computers and the teacher is walking in circles around the classroom reprimanding students who are messing around.
bman7720

Con

bman7720 forfeited this round.
banana1234

Pro

Since my opponent forfeited the last round, I will not argue this round. I will simply close my argument I will give him this round to give his rebuttal and closure.

In conclusion, I still believe that music should be allowed in schools with limitations. Yes, the games are distracting, but most teachers are schooled in scoldings. As he stated earlier, most students lack willpower, but music has helped improve this aspect in a lot of children. Even kids with ADHD.

Thank you for voting and thanks for participating!!! :)
bman7720

Con

I would like to apologize for my absence and thank my opponent for conveying fairness.

The issue is, no matter how much scolding or restriction you implement, technology in a school setting will be misused. Bypassing a restricted proxy server is the modern "playing hooky." Students are adapted to technology and how to use it to their advantage. Many teachers lack the knowledge on how to use technology efficiently to reprimand children.

In conclusion, I stand by my statement that allowing music opens a can-of-worms of distractions for students in the classroom. While I agree that some students would benefit, the misuse outweighs the responsible and productive usage of this technology.