Victoria85176
Ja50n

Should students be able to listen to their Ipods/MP3's while doing independent work?

Ja50n
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: 7 Point

Victoria85176

Pro

First round-Acceptance
Second round- Arguments
Third round- Arguments/ Rebuttals
Fourth round- Rebuttals/ Closing
--
Rules:
-No new ideas in the last round
-No trolling
--
I'm really exited to debate this topic, good luck and have fun!! :)
Ja50n

Con

I accept hoping for an interesting debate :)
Victoria85176

Pro

:) Thank you! To begin I want to define "independant":
1.
not influenced or controlled by others in matters of opinion, conduct, etc.; thinking or acting for oneself: an independent thinker.
2.
not subject to another's authority or jurisdiction; autonomous; free: an independent businessman.
3.
not influenced by the thought or action of others: independent research.
4.
not dependent; not depending or contingent upon something else for existence, operation, etc.
5.
not relying on another or others for aid or support
I am to belive that when I say independant I do not mean when the teacher is teacher a lesson or when the student is doing group work. But I do endeavor that students should be able to listen to music while doing work on their own.
--
Omnipoint 1:
Music is a unsurpassed way of relaxation it can also help mollify stress. Music helps relieve stress by absorbing are attention, this prevents us from are minds wandering from the task at hand, for most students this can be extreamly helpful. Music will also cancel out all of the white noise in the backround (other studentts talking, rustling of pappers, teachers helping other students, ect.).
Omnipoint 2:
On most ipods you can download a dictionary, or a thesaurus, we all hate looking things up in the dictionary or thesaurus, its a waste of time! While students should know how to do this task they should also have some time-saving shortcuts, wich the Ipod can offer. The Ipod also offers a calender, calculater, they can even download numerus free educational apps. Another pro of the Ipod is that they can record the teachers lectures, these recordings can be shared with absent students through social networking sites, or at study hall.
Omniponit 3:
The Ipod can also help aid the teacher. For instance the teacher can designe a vidioe game around the math lesson or they can take help the teacher when trying to tach kids a second language, the possibilitys are endless!

http://www.buzzle.com...
http://www.teenink.com...
http://www.america.edu...
I also used the dictionary on my computer.....
Ja50n

Con

I would normally rebut in 2nd round however I will abide your rules and will save my rebuttals till 3rd round
I'll be basing my arguments on your first definition
independent - not influenced or controlled by others in matters of opinion, conduct, etc.; thinking or acting for oneself: an independent thinker.

Arguments
Listening to music while studying cannot be classified as independent learning as what most teenagers listen to are pop, hip hop and rap. As these all include lyrics, it would be disastrous when studying important subjects (eg English or Maths) as the lyrics from the song would prevent you from understanding what your teacher is trying to tell you. (2)&(3) Thus listening to music makes your work less efficient.

As most people nowadays have iPod touch, which can access apps and Internet, it can disrupt the class if in the middle of class the iPod beeps with notifications from other apps. Also, teachers may find it more difficult to get everyone's attention in class as every student will most likely have earphones on that block sound. Especially because most people listen with a loud volume to block out noises, allowing music in classes will make it a lot harder for teachers to get the students attention even if they're working independently.

As Pro has mentioned their are many apps out on the app store. However, only a niche portion of them would be considered useful in a class because
a) the apps are designed for a general overall knowledge of a topic not according to what you might be tested on.
b) Most of them you have to pay with money. (Thus not many students would have many educational apps saved on their iPod touch)
Also, students can easily be distracted when accessing educational apps and maybe tempted to stray from the teachers instructions. Distracting the student to be able to work efficiently, therefore it is irrational to allow students to access their ipod touch during school hours whether for educational reasons or musical reasons.

(1) http://www.smartgirl.org...
(2) http://www.phoenix.edu...
(3)http://www.edutopia.org...
Victoria85176

Pro

Thank you for abiding by my rules Ja50n.
1. What Con said:
"Listening to music while studying cannot be classified as independent learning as what most teenagers listen to are pop, hip hop and rap. As these all include lyrics, it would be disastrous when studying important subjects (eg English or Maths) as the lyrics from the song would prevent you from understanding what your teacher is trying to tell you."
Therefore, I think I need to state the definition of "Independent learning":

"Independent Learning is learning that is self-directed. The learning is defined, organized and completed by the learner. Educators (experts) may act as facilitators or guides. However, the learner is encouraged to plot their own path and to value their own research as well as input from peers on the same level as information and guidance that they may gain from teachers (experts)."
http://jamesmichie.com...
If you listen to music and study at the same time the learning is still defined, organized, and completed by the learner (as said in the definition). So it can be more effective.
2. What Con said:
"As most people nowadays have iPod touch, which can access apps and Internet, it can disrupt the class if in the middle of class the iPod beeps with notifications from other apps. Also, teachers may find it more difficult to get everyone's attention in class as every student will most likely have earphones on that block sound. Especially because most people listen with a loud volume to block out noises, allowing music in classes will make it a lot harder for teachers to get the students attention even if they're working independently."
On a Ipod touch you can turn the volume off, or the whole system off, so it wont disturb in class. As for the teacher getting the students attention, Ipods don't block out bigger/louder noises (It would if you listened to it on a painfully loud state).
3. What Con said:
"As Pro has mentioned their are many apps out on the app store. However, only a niche portion of them would be considered useful in a class because
b) Most of them you have to pay with money. (Thus not many students would have many educational apps saved on their iPod touch)"
While apps may be designed for general knowledge, you can still download a app on algebra or calculus and use it as a reference for your homework, or use it to get ahead. Furthermore, Most apps on the app store are free, about 5/6 of them are free. (http://www.quora.com...)
:)
Ja50n

Con

Finally, I've been itching to voice my rebuttals :)
Side note to voters: if Pro wanted his definition of independent learning, she would've stated it in her first round

"The Ipod can also help aid the teacher. For instance the teacher can designe a vidioe game around the math lesson or they can take help the teacher when trying to tach kids a second language, the possibilitys are endless!"

Nice selling btw ;)
anyway your point about trying to teach kids a second language via translators is not pragmatic. As translators often have numerous grammar mistakes, it would create more problems than solving them.

"for most students this can be extreamly helpful. Music will also cancel out all of the white noise in the backround (other studentts talking, rustling of pappers, teachers helping other students, ect.)."

I've been reading up on a lot of psychology lately (Thanks Crash Course) and it has mentioned that our brain can easily block out background noises and focus on a certain task. This function of our brain is called selective attention
Here's a formal definition
selective attention - the focusing of conscious awareness on a particular stimulus or group of stimuli.
Thus music is unnecessary to block out "white noise"

Con also rebutted my point with this "If you listen to music and study at the same time the learning is still defined, organized, and completed by the learner (as said in the definition). So it can be more effective."

My apologies if I haven't conveyed my argument properly.
According to my second and third source, it has been proven by the University of Phoenix and another study by Perham in 2010 that lyrics in a song causes impaired serial recall (A skill used in Maths) and language skills (English or other languages). Proving that for majority of teenagers listening to music while doing independent work impedes their progress because majority of them listen to songs with lyrics in them (pop, hip hop and rap)

"as for the teacher getting the students attention, Ipods don't block out bigger/louder noises (It would if you listened to it on a painfully loud state)."

Pro, my point is not whether iPods block out sounds, the main issue is that most earphones nowadays have some method of blocking exterior sound. Thus the earphones would block out the teachers voice. Nowadays teenagers are naive to the damage done by loud earphones.
Evidence of teenagers listening to loud music can be seen here (http://abcnews.go.com...)

"Furthermore, Most apps on the app store are free, about 5/6 of them are free. (http://www.quora.com......)"

This statistic is invalid as the source requires you to log in to Quora to access the statistic. Due to this fact the credibility in this rebuttal is void.
Victoria85176

Pro

Con said:
Nice selling btw ;)

First of all, thanks :).
My apology's, I should have been more specific! When I was talking about teachers being aided by the ipod in a language class, I meant that they can create apps themselves or create a study guide, other than re-teaching things over and over again in class.
Con said:

Here's a formal definition

So your saying that if some of your peers are having a conversation behind you, you can still concentrate on your test? I think not.

Con said:
Evidence of teenagers listening to loud music can be seen here (http://abcnews.go.com......)

This is very true (I'm a teenager myself and I listen to my ipod while I do everything). But, parents can put limits on how loud the volume can be played, so that wouldn't be a problem. The school could even make a rule on how loud the volume could be played during school hours.
Good luck con, and thanks for a very thought provoking and interesting debate! :)
Ja50n

Con

Haha thanks pro for a good debate :)

" But, parents can put limits on how loud the volume can be played, so that wouldn't be a problem. The school could even make a rule on how loud the volume could be played during school hours."

I'm not sure about the rule about capping the volume levels. Schools can make a rule about the loudness of volume however it wouldn't be very effective because it would be especially hard to enforce. As schools are generally big, a large amount of teachers would be needed to enforce this rule. It would also be considered not morally correct asking teachers to invade on students music just to check whether the volume is loud enough.

"So your saying that if some of your peers are having a conversation behind you, you can still concentrate on your test? I think not."
Although it maybe difficult, it would be theoretically possible to block out that noise. (I've been able to study hard while class is still talking so it is possible)

"My apology's, I should have been more specific! When I was talking about teachers being aided by the ipod in a language class, I meant that they can create apps themselves"

Well, creating an app for a certain subject is a bit extreme as studying a certain topic normally takes 5 weeks on average. So you would need to gain an someone with experience in app development, organize the various steps and then upload it to the app store to everyone to download. Not to mention all the bug fixes and beta testing you'll have to do to make it remotely useful. So yeah it may be a bit impractical to create an app your going to use for just 5 weeks.

Thus students cannot accomplish independent work while working with music because it disrupts the class, distracts students from their work because of other apps not related to work and by listening to music it makes it harder for teachers to get the students attention.
Thanks again Pro for an interesting debate
Posted by Victoria85176 3 years ago
Victoria85176
Yeah, I'm sorry I HAD to point that out lol :)
Posted by Ja50n 3 years ago
Ja50n
haha lol just realized that, i'm assuming your female... cuz Victoria isn't really a guy name...
Posted by Victoria85176 3 years ago
Victoria85176
Lol in your argument (con) you said this:
"Side note to voters: if Pro wanted HIS definition of independent learning, she would've stated it in HER first round"
.... you said his then you said her..... k then......
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
Victoria85176Ja50nTied
Reasons for voting decision: con wins arguments with his point that the ipad's use of concentrating is counter productive, as well as the inability to enforce the volume-limit rule