knightj
TWD430

Should students be allowed pocket knifes in school?

knightj

knightj

Con

I don't think that there is any reason for students to have pocket knifes; why would they have to use it? All that this is doing is giving a student the opportunity to stab the people that they don't like. During lessons there is no reason for a student to need a pocket knife; except maybe for technology. However, if a knife is needed in technology then the knife is provided for the student. Besides, even if the student who owned the knife wasn't going to use it against anyone, a dangerous student could easily steal the knife and then use it against somebody that they don't like. Knifes are too risky in premises where a lot of the people are not mature.

I look forward to your reply.
TWD430

Pro

Swiss Army Pocket Knifes should be allowed in School. They have scissors on them and when I'm in School I always need scissors at some time or another. Also it does have a little knife on it but it's hardly a knife at all! It's a inch long and 1/4 of a inch thick, and normal sized scissors are bigger than that, and they're allowed in schools! Pocketknifes are very useful. I'm 13 and I own a rescue knife myself and I've never cut myself or anyone else with it and I never will unless I get jumped or something.
knightj

Con

I would just like to re-emphasise that when you do need scissors or a knife in school, you are provided with one by the teacher.

You mentioned that scissors are allowed in schools; they may be bigger, but they're not as sharp as knifes. It is much harder to stab someone in the stomach with a pair of scissors as oppose to a knife. Also, when the teacher has supplied people with scissors, they know to keep an eye on the idiots that are likely to be dangerous with the item. If however, students brought their own knife in, the teacher wouldn't know about it and it would be much easier to stab someone without the teacher knowing.

Thanks for accepting the debate.
TWD430

Pro

TWD430 forfeited this round.
knightj

Con

I have no further comments that I would like to make so due to my opponent passing the round, I too am abstained.
TWD430

Pro

TWD430 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Defro 2 years ago
Defro
knightjTWD430Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con effectively refuted Pro's argument. But Con made several spelling errors. The correct spelling for the plural form of "knife" is "knives"
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
knightjTWD430Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This argument made by Con, and the extensions of said argument, were strong and needed refuting: "...when you do need scissors or a knife in school, you are provided with one by the teacher." To add to that, the argument was never refuted. Arguments to Con. Conduct to Con too for Pro's forfeit.