Hawkaye
DasDoughnut22

Should students be allowed to carry backpacks during school days?

Hawkaye

Pro

I feel as though backpacks should be allowed to be carried throughout the school day. This would be an exceptional decision because the backpack has more room than a messenger bag, which many students use, has space to put books, laptops, binders, etc. in. The backpack also helps spread the weight of your materials evenly over your body, which can help reduce the risk of back/shoulder pain.
DasDoughnut22

Con

I am debating on the "Con" side, because this is my first debate. Personally I am Pro Backpacks, but I will put forth my opinions on alternatives.

1. Depends on whether or not they have divisions in their curriculum, if they have to walk across the campus to get to another class, they would have to carry a backpack. But if the students do not have to move from class to class, they they would have no need to carry them around.

2. Aye, backpacks are rather useful, but I say making the switch to a device is much wiser. If your school allows it, devices could replace the backpack, hand bag, and the locker. They can be monitored and it self creates an educational experience by creating familiarity with technology that is commonly used.

3. Backpacks can break fairly easily.

4. Personally, my backpack always ends up messy and impossible to organize at the end of the year.
Hawkaye

Pro

I will be addressing your argument in a list format:

1) When students don't need to move from class to class, such as Elementary/Primary school, I agree that they should not be used in the day. But during Middle/High, students do have to move throughout the day to get to their next class, it would be better for those who have to carry books and other supplies.

2) Even though devices are useful, they will never replace the method of paper homework and notes. Even though I do have a laptop used for school, I still have a binder full of notes, tests, homework, etc., to carry around, along with a reading book. While this is not much of a burden, it can still slow students down if they need to get to the other side of their school/grounds.

3) My backpack has lasted three years, and it has been worn down I'm surprised it hasn't broken. And while some brands do break, mine included, there are ways to fix it. If there is a hole, you can ask someone to stitch it back up, and if the straps break, you can also sew those back together.

4) While backpacks do end up very unorganized sometimes, it may be necessary to take some hours out your day to organize it.
DasDoughnut22

Con

I will continue to use our format for discussing the points we've put onto the table.

1. I would say that shifting the responsibility for providing necessary materials such as pencils, calculators, and books to the school and teacher would remedy this. When it comes to carrying home homework and or other assignments a smaller bag would suffice.

2. In California the Computer and Media Pathway academy (CAMP), an optional course, provides devices to the enrolled students so they may make use of them in class and at home. I am in this academy, roughly 60% of all of my work is done on the device and it works well, we only see problems when the teachers or our WiFi has technical problems.

They are also contemplating distributing devices to the general population of my school, roughly 3000+ students. CAMP has a lot of support. Recently we were given a grant of over 100,000 USD.

3. Here is a problem. I am personally someone who lives beneath the poverty line, and so I lack the resources to invest into stronger backpacks. I've never had a backpack last longer than a year. To distribute alternatives would eliminate this problem.

4. To minimize the amount of material that a student must manage would remedy this problem and save time for leisure or studying, more than likely the latter.

I apologize for my slow response.
Hawkaye

Pro

Hawkaye forfeited this round.
DasDoughnut22

Con

DasDoughnut22 forfeited this round.
Posted by DasDoughnut22 2 years ago
DasDoughnut22
That explains it.
Posted by Hawkaye 2 years ago
Hawkaye
Yeah, in my system we aren't allowed to carry backpacks around.
Posted by DasDoughnut22 2 years ago
DasDoughnut22
Why is this a debate? All throughout my education experience I used a back pack freely. Are there some places where they do not allow them? If so what is their alternative?