AstroFox
Feldma

Should students be allowed to chew gum in school?

AstroFox

Con

Hello! This is my first debate, so please cut me some slack. Anyway, today I would like to present a common argument in today's world: should chewing gum be allowed in schools? My stance upon this argument shall stand as a no. I am welcome for an open and fun debate to any who accept. If anyone does, than the debate shall start in the second round of the argument!
Feldma

Pro

Welcome to debate.org! This should be a very interesting debate, so thank you for creating it!

Might I ask who the BOP (Burden of Proof) is on? I would assume myself.

Good luck and may the best debater win!
AstroFox

Con

Here goes.... The age old gum rule has no doubt been on the pages of the rule book of schools as long as anyone could remember. But should it stay there? Multiple sources do agree that it has its place and should not be removed from the hall of rules. It destroys the school's property and is very difficult to remove completely for janitors. One teacher from a school that allows gum claimed that there was so much gum on one of the water fountains that the gum completely covered the tip, clogging all the water and preventing it from being used. Those black blotches on the ground are gum turned completely black due to the dirty soles that it meets daily. These are so smooth from baking in the sun, it's nearly impossible for anyone to clean off, turning the sidewalk to an asymmetrical poka dot pattern. The noise from gum chewers smacking away at their glob of gum can distract students and even interrupt an entire lesson if their loud enough. I present to you my reasons, and I'll gladly take any counter arguments!
Feldma

Pro

Gum should be allowed at school because it increases brain function and increases productivity.

Increased Brain Function:

Chewing gum helps cognitive skills such as memory and thinking. It also reduces stress. It does so by increasing the heart rate and hence making more blood and insulin go to the brain, which increases brain activity. Chewing gum has also been found to help concentration.
In 2009, a gum company called “Wrigley”, conducted a study with researchers from Baylor College of Medicine (located in Texas). The study found that chewing sugar-free gum helped adolescent students with academic performance. The results from the study showed the students in eighth grade had a 3 percent (3%) increase in the standard math scores.

More Productivity:

In a lot of classes, teachers find that a lot of people talk – majorly disrupting the lesson. However, when students chew gum, they are found to talk less and concentrate more. Teachers have found that students who chew gum not only stay quiet longer and perform better academically, but they also require less breaks.
Chewing gum should especially be allowed during tests / exams. It not only relieves stress, but has also been found to increase student’s results by 26% to 36%.

AstroFox

Con

AstroFox forfeited this round.
Feldma

Pro

Con has forfeited the round, most likely due to the fact he is doing his finals.

If Con wishes to continue, Rebuttal will start next round.
AstroFox

Con

AstroFox forfeited this round.
Feldma

Pro

Feldma forfeited this round.
Posted by AstroFox 7 months ago
AstroFox
A side note: Please forgive me if I answer rounds at the last moment or if I miss the time when my argument is due, for I have finals and state testing this week. Thank you.