tray_ham1
Disquisition

Should students be allowed to choose their own seats in school?

tray_ham1

Pro

If they prove that they can maintain their grades and not be a disruption to the class and talk too much there is no reason they should not be able to pick their own seats the students want to be more happy and learn not mad or sad. To be in school or happy about the classes that they have chosen which may help them with their grades! Making things easier on the students wouldn't be such a bad idea

But on the other hand because then they would be choosing subjects that wouldn't really be important in later life just so that they can be with their friends. I mean it's great that they Wanda spend time with their friends,and that would not be good because of grade problems.

The students still should be able to sit wherever they want,should be given more freedom to choose their own courses student get to choose their jobs than I think that they get to if student get to choose their jobs than I think that they get to
Disquisition

Con

I want to start off by saying that I'm not against students sitting where the want to in class, but if the teacher tells them they have assigned seats then the students should comply. Therefore I will form my following arguments from this point of view since my opponent did not provide a scenario or the circumstances to which his resolution refers to. Then I will address the arguments my opponent has proposed.

Arguments

Establishing Authority

When the students (middle and high) enter the classroom for the first time, a teacher should want to establish that he or she possess complete authority over the students and that they can't say or do anything they please. Assigning seats is one way in which this authority is set over the students and it sets the tone for the school year.

Distractions

Allowing the students to sit where they want could potentially lead to distractions in the classroom since they are likely to sit by friends. The conversations they have in class will not only be disruptive and annoying to the students who want to learn but they also make the teachers job more difficult. The teacher is paid to facilitate learning and to connect with their students and assigning seats to prevent disruptions should be a tool that is accessible to them at all times.

Seat choices and Comprehension

Before starting this argument, I want to state that it is specifically directed towards students who make poor seating choices that inhibit their ability to learn.

To expand on what I mentioned about disruptiveness in my distractions argument, there is an obvious correlation between where a student sits and the degree to which he/she understands the lesson for that day. If the students are sitting by friends then they aren't attentive to what the teacher is saying and will not understand the material for tests in the future. Attentively listening to what someone has to say is a process, that requires specific steps to be taken.

The following is extracted from is extracted from an article with some paraphrasing.

(1) "Open yourself to the incoming message"

(2) "Interpret or reconstruct what is being said mentally or tangibly (on paper)"

(3) "Evaluate what you have interpreted and make sure that you understand it"

(4) "Provide constructive feedback that shows the teacher that you understand the material"

I assert that poor seat choices can shut down this process from stage one and prevent the student from learning anything in the classroom. The ultimate result is failing the class and having to retake it but that may have been prevented or mitigated if the teacher simply moved the student from his/her seat.

Rebuttals

My opponent states: "If they prove that they can maintain their grades and not be a disruption to the class and talk too much there is no reason they should not be able to pick their own seats the students want to be more happy and learn not mad or sad. To be in school or happy about the classes that they have chosen which may help them with their grades! Making things easier on the students wouldn't be such a bad idea."

The students shouldn't have to prove themselves with good conduct and a high GPA to sit where they want to in the classroom. Once they get assigned seats then they should stay in them until the teachers says otherwise.

It is great for students to be happy with school but sitting where the want will not make it easier for them if they make poor seating choices.

My opponent states: "The students still should be able to sit wherever they want,should be given more freedom to choose their own courses student get to choose their jobs than I think that they get to if student get to choose their jobs than I think that they get to"

I would like my opponent to clarify what he/she is trying to communicate here because I don't understand.

http://www.acs.edu.au...

tray_ham1

Pro

tray_ham1 forfeited this round.
Disquisition

Con

Opponent failed to respond
tray_ham1

Pro

tray_ham1 forfeited this round.
Disquisition

Con

Again, pro did not defend his position.
Posted by Disquisition 3 years ago
Disquisition
To clarify when I said complete authority I meant in accordance to the authority the teacher possess form the school rule/hand book.
Posted by Disquisition 3 years ago
Disquisition
Students is arbitrary, do you mean preschool, middle, high, or college students?