bloodyclara98
TheRagingClementine

Should students be allowed to have phones during school?

TheRagingClementine
Started: 2/14/2014 Category: Technology

bloodyclara98

Pro

Phones should be a loud in school for very good reasons, 1.) Quick way to call for help when needed 2.) Parents can call the child, and lots more.
TheRagingClementine

Con

Thank you to my opponent for providing this debate, I will now list my Rebuttals first.

Rebuttals
My opponent feels that is necessary for students to have their phones with them during the school day because it would allow for phone call to be quickly made in an emergency situation. My opponent also argues that parents can call the child for whatever reason. Both of these points have complete flaws in them.

Parent able to Call
If a parent would feel the need to call the child during school it would interrupt the whole entire class with the teacher having to stop his or her’s lesson and permit the student to talk his or her’s caller. This is just wasting valuable time during the school day when the student is suppose to be engaged with learning the materials at hand, that is required by the State Board of Education. Another flaw to this point is that there is an Office Secretary present during the school day whose job is to receive outside information and distribute that among certain employees or students if it pertains to them. Basically one of the jobs of the Secretary is to take calls or note by parents or other guardians, and hand those messages down to students. Therefore messages from outside sources that pertain to that specific student are still delivered and it reduces the interruptions of class time, than having a remove themselves from class to take a call.

Quick Emergency Call
In case of an emergency situation, my opponent advocates that it would allow for a quicker call to be made. This reason is very weak, because unless you're all alone inside a school building with all the doors to all the rooms locked and you need to call for help, there is an adult nearby and a phone located in almost all classrooms inside a school building. Currently, students are prohibited from using his or her’s cell phone during the school. Even though it is a rule, students still carry their cell phones, and in a possible emergency situation where 911 needs to be called, students would ignore the policy and call first responders. This would result in the 911 hot lines being blown up with panicking adolescents, which would just add to the confusing. If schools allowed them to have their phones during the school day, more students would carry their phones, which could result in more calls for first responders, just adding even more confusion to the situation. A teacher or teachers would be more suited for handling an these events, than adolescents who have not been properly trained for responding to emergency situations.

This concludes my rebuttals for this round.

Arguments

I will now highlight just some of my reasons for why students shouldn't’t be allowed to used their phones during school hours.

Acceptance

It is very true that through an adolescent post elementary career in school, referring to middle and high school, it is important to for one to learn to respect the person he or she is, but also the longing to blend in with the crowd. By being apart of the normal crowd, he or she feels accepted and confident in themselves. If a person is separate from the crowd, they can be subjected to bullying and as modern society knows bullying as caused 1 in every 10 bullying victims to dropout of school and 75 percent of all school shootings can be related to bullying, according to source one. Bullying can be tied into this topic because if phones were allowed for use during the school day, what will happen to those individuals whose families are not financially well to afford cell phones. This individuals are set separate from the crowd and a easy target of bullying. By not allowing students to use their phones during school, fellow students wouldn't’t be able to disguise who has a phone and who doesn’t, making those individuals who lack a cell phone, still able to be in the crowd.

Distractions

One of the biggest problems that are present with students using cell phones during school hours is that it distracts a students attention away from the teacher, and focused on their cell phone. Even though cell phones are currently prohibited from use during school hours, students still find ways to hide their phones from the teachers vision and use them. Using these students are texting another individual, for it is rather difficult to talk with someone on the phone and conceal it. If students are already using their phones when they shouldn't’t be, then what will happen when they promote the use of phones in school. More students will slack off because of this cell phone use acceptance. According to source number 2, the average attention span in 2000 was 12 seconds, but it reduced down to 8 seconds in a study done in 2013. A large proportion of why humans get distracted is from an external disturbance. Permitting students to use phones during school hours would just add more external disturbance that would shorten the attention span even more than it already as. It is also located in source 2, that psychologists agree that the ability to focus attention on a certain task is the key to achieve goals of an individual. If cell phones use is restricted in our schools, than students would be able to engage in full focusing on the material at hand in a classroom.

Little Relevance

Modern day cell phones have many unique applications I will agree with that, but cell phones have little relevance when it comes to apply it’s capabilities to a classroom setting. The operations that a cell phone can do are already done be machines supplied by the school systems, like calculators and computers. It seems legit that every school would have calculators that the students could use, and a few computers for research, unless your school is a clay brick house out in the middle of nowhere. The cell phones would also have to be smart phones to have the computer search engine capabilities anyway. Therefore, since there is already technological machines in place in virtually every school, cell phones use is not needed.

This concludes my arguments for this round.

1: http://www.dosomething.org...
2: http://www.statisticbrain.com...;

bloodyclara98

Pro

bloodyclara98 forfeited this round.
TheRagingClementine

Con

I extend all arguments from last round.
bloodyclara98

Pro

bloodyclara98 forfeited this round.
TheRagingClementine

Con

Since I have nothing else to prove, I conclude this debate.
Posted by bloodyclara98 3 years ago
bloodyclara98
Very sorry. I was a little busy.
Posted by TheRagingClementine 3 years ago
TheRagingClementine
It would be appreciated if you could post more arguments for your side, so I know your final thoughts for round 1 please.
Posted by bloodyclara98 3 years ago
bloodyclara98
Lets just say, I am in school right now. When I leave school, I would be glad to type all the reasons.
Posted by Jonbonbon 3 years ago
Jonbonbon
So if there's lots more, how come you didn't write it all out?
Vote Placed by Taylor.Gregory 2 years ago
Taylor.Gregory
bloodyclara98TheRagingClementineTied
Reasons for voting decision: This is pretty much a given, Pro make little argument and what statement they did give, it was shoddy and poorly thought out. Con made a comprehensive argument and destroyed the only two specific option Pro gave to allow cell phones in school.
Vote Placed by MyDinosaurHands 2 years ago
MyDinosaurHands
bloodyclara98TheRagingClementineTied
Reasons for voting decision: TheRagingClementine (fantastic name btw) demolished Pro in his arguments. Very professional presentation, one that was very OP in a cellphone debate. That's like expecting a little sparring session and finding yourself in a fight with Liam Neeson. Also Pro had more S&G errors than Con did. Plus a FF