DebaterOfTheMonth
star2017

Should students be allowed to "impeach" teachers?

DebaterOfTheMonth

Con

Recently, in a past school project we had to debate in class about weather we should have the right to impeach a teacher from their jobs. I felt this was a horrible idea in the first place. I've heard arguments such as "Some teachers are obnoxious and not considerate of others." I understand that there are a ton of teachers that don't even deserve their jobs at all, but there are things like this for a huge reason. All your life you will encounter people you don't like, or that are straight out stupid. We need to learn to get along with people, or ignore them. Since school is already used for teaching, why don't we learn to ignore and get along with people there? Teachers like this may make you very frustrated but you can also benefit from them and you wouldn't even notice.
star2017

Pro

I understand and accept the fact in life we will meet people we don't like or want to deal with and we have to learn or grow to be able to handle those situations. I do however belief that students should have the right to leave a class without receiving an F in the class at any point in the semester. I have had professors that I have gone to tutoring, study groups, and asked them for their help and it hasn't helped. Some professors care more about publishing than they do teaching. So they will teach but not help the students at all and they do not teach they say what they want you to know but don't explain it and expect you to just understand the material. In those rare cases I do think students should have the right to impeach their teacher.
DebaterOfTheMonth

Con

As I was talking about earlier in my argument, we need to use our problem solving skills and fight past that. If a professor is not giving you the needed information for a project. We could learn to cope with them and go online at home to get the required information for it. I wouldn't recommend that you impeach them at all, but rather file a complaint. You could talk to the teacher personally and state what you don't like. If the professor is still ignoring you, just know that he took that into consideration but didn't want to show it. It usually fixes the problem faster.
star2017

Pro

As some who has been in a situation like the one I describe I understand what you are saying but at the same time when a teacher has over 30 complaints filed and his classes are always the last one to fill up and the university doesn't fire him then the students need the right to either be able to drop the class with a "W" the entire semester or they need to be able to switch professor or impeach them if no other option is available. I had a teacher that wrote their own projects so you couldn't go online and find out what to do so we had to ask past students who didn't know it either. He gave us nothing but a due date and project name. In that situation the students need to be able to fire that teacher because he wasn't helping them learn and just made them frustrated and annoyed. That teacher deserved to be fired. The university wouldn't fire him though so if that is the case then students should have the right to impeach him and fire him or change it to where he isn't teaching anymore.
DebaterOfTheMonth

Con

Students should NOT be allowed to impeach a teacher, students have their own boundaries of what they can do. Firing a teacher or staff should fall into the hands of the principal. Of course, those extra complains could affect the principals decision but that's not the problem here. Most schools are following a new program where they are doing teacher evaluations. The teachers all have their own set of lesson plans and instructions that they must follow in order to be successful in their job. Most of the time, they have some kind of undercover person slide into the classroom in the middle of the period/hour. And take evaluations and see if they themselves can understand what the teacher is doing. I also believe thirty complains is a little over exaggerated as well. Students are not allowed to make any effort to go on strike, or have any word in the impeachment of a teacher. If you read over the handbooks your supposed to get at the start of every year, you will realize that.
star2017

Pro

I am arguing at the college level not the high school level. High school students do not have the maturity in which to do this. College students could how ever handle this if their were strict guidelines that could be followed. I know a middle school teacher who has 30 complaints against him from students and parents. In college the student evaluations are for the most part ignored. I understand that there is more than just teaching to being a professor but teaching is still big part. At the high school level I have heard about the undercover teacher and it has worked fairly well but in college their is nothing in place like that or at least that i have heard of. Teachers sometimes need to be reminded about student relations and at college that isn't always the case.
Posted by Tminusfour20 2 years ago
Tminusfour20
I agree. If a student goes through the correct chains of command, justice will be served to a teacher who doesn't deserve their position.