jnsag
JeremyMcNamee

Should students be allowed to use iPads at school?

JeremyMcNamee

jnsag

Con

Thank you for accepting this debate, I think that it will be a fun match here.
I do not believe that kids should be able to use their iPads at school.

(1). Kids tend to not follow rules when it comes to using the iPad. If the teacher gives out an assignment on the iPad, what will usually happen is that kids will hide the iPad on their lap and play online games. The iPads are handed out for academic use, and for school. Not for playing games during the time you are supposed to be doing work. During reading time, kids will tell the teacher they are reading on their iPad. Really, they are playing a game online hiding the iPad on their lap so the teacher cannot see it.

(2). iPads cause kids to speed up on their work, knowing that they get to use the iPads after. When teachers assign math or writing assignments for instance, the kid will try to rush through what they are doing specifically to get to the iPad that they can play on. This causes bad grades and work tends to be completed in a sloppy form.

(3). Kids come to school to learn, not to play games on an electronic device. If the teacher is trying to teach the rest of the class a lesson, the iPad tends to be a huge distraction. Kids are also finding ways to download their own apps, not just the academic district approved apps.
JeremyMcNamee

Pro

I took this debate not realising this was only two rounds which is a bit absurd. Anyway, you didn't set any rules so I am kind of debating on a whim. I am going to assume cost is not a factor since you failed to mention it? I would like to begin first by discussing your own points and then I will state my reasoning on why an Ipad should be used in school if possible.

"Kids tend to not follow rules when it comes to using the iPad."

How could you possibly make that assumpion? Even if you do, what does "tend to" mean? Does that mean 30% of the kids, 60%, 90%? I need you to eliminate that tend to. If you are arguing con you must fully be on your position.

"During reading time, kids will tell the teacher they are reading on their iPad. Really, they are playing a game online hiding the iPad on their lap so the teacher cannot see it."

Again, this sounds like a bunch of assumptions on your part.

"iPads cause kids to speed up on their work, knowing that they get to use the iPads after. When teachers assign math or writing assignments for instance, the kid will try to rush through what they are doing specifically to get to the iPad that they can play on. This causes bad grades and work tends to be completed in a sloppy form."

Well I thought they would be bringing their Ipads to do their work on? Not to use once done with the work?

"Kids come to school to learn, not to play games on an electronic device. If the teacher is trying to teach the rest of the class a lesson, the iPad tends to be a huge distraction. Kids are also finding ways to download their own apps, not just the academic district approved apps."

Of course they come to learn. However, they can do so on an Ipad.

Ipads do actually help children learn.

This is a quote from an article you can find here: http://www.takepart.com...

'Founders of the rapidly expanding chain of Rocketship schools say when their low-income K-5th graders are fed a steady diet of computer-delivered lessons, technology "help(s) to make a child"s time in the classroom more productive because he or she will have fewer gaps preventing understanding, and Rocketship teachers will have more time to focus on extending children"s critical thinking skills."

Other parts of that same article attempt to dismiss Ipads as a "hyped up trend." However, they use a cost only method to prove this which I am assuming based on your points; we aren't focusing on.'

Here is another quote from this article: http://www.kumon.co.uk...

"The diverse range of apps and software available on the iPad make it a great tool for your child"s learning."
This article then goes into various ways in which the Ipad helps the child.

These two paragraphs in which an actual academic study was performed, were taken from an article from one the best news websites in the world, CNN.com. http://www.cnn.com...

'But today another data point emerged, demonstrating that the iPad can be a valuable asset in education. In a partnership with Apple, textbook publishers Houghton Mifflin Harcourt performed a pilot study using an iPad text for Algebra 1 courses, and found that 20% more students (78% compared to 59%) scored 'Proficient' or 'Advanced' in subject comprehension when using tablets rather than paper textbook counterparts.

The study was conducted at a Riverside, California, middle school from Spring 2010 to Spring 2011 using HMH's Fuse: Algebra I app. Similar pilot courses and iPad programs have cropped up all over the country, primarily in private and boarding schools, and select universities. In the public school sector, more than 600 school districts have adopted a 1:1 iPad program.'

Not only is this a better educational tool for children it also can eliminate heavy textbooks that students do not enjoy carrying around. Not only is it a mental pain, it is a physical pain as reported here at ABC.com...http://abcnews.go.com...

'Simmons College professor Shelly Goodgold found that 55 percent of fifth- through eighth-grade students she surveyed carry backpack loads weighing more than 15 percent of their body weight. One-third of those students said they've suffered back pain.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has recommended that children carry no more than 10 percent to 20 percent of their weight in a backpack.

The results of the new study are to be presented Saturday at a national conference of the American Physical Therapy Association in San Antonio. The study was based on a survey of 345 Massachusetts children.

Strains Back and Neck

"When you carry something that is really heavy, your head goes forward and you lean forward," said Goodgold, an associate professor of physical therapy. "This can produce strains in the neck, and strains in the back. Holding it over one shoulder can also create imbalances."

Previous studies have shown that wearing a backpack on one shoulder might increase the curvature of the spine in scoliosis patients, said Dr. Scott Bautch, president of the American Chiropractic Association's Council on Occupational Health.'

They even went as far as to go on to talk about going digital.
"Good gold suggests that school districts that can't afford to buy more books could issue texts on CD-ROM or put them online so students don't have to take heavy books home."

Not only do Ipads help with education, they help our children with their health.
jnsag

Con

I will eliminate this "tend to" and say that most of the kids I have seen in a classroom were not using them properly. This just was one classroom though, so results may come differently in other locations.

Sure, they can help children learn as you have proved with a number of quotes, but the iPad is a big distraction as well.

Copied from: http://betanews.com...
"3. If used improperly, the iPads can be a serious distraction in the classroom. The first issue that teachers often encounter in the classroom when using iPads is that students find creative ways to distract themselves in class. The typical reaction to this is to lock down the iPad and prevent students from accessing YouTube and the internet. Once again the iPad becomes nothing more than a shiny toy."

Let me further explain what I meant in number 3:
Many of the school districts have already set different "profiles" and blocked certain websites. The reasons why are because they do not want kids downloading their own apps on the iPad, or visiting websites like Youtube. A lot of these kids have already found ways around the school website blocks, and even found out how to delete these profiles. These are set so the apps like "app store" and "messages" are not able to be opened. Now, kids are finding ways to download their own apps. This causes the district to constantly have to find new ways to restrict certain websites and continue adding to the security.

So iPads may give a sense of learning and health, but not if distractions like this are happening.
I would like to conclude this argument saying although iPads can be used as a learning tool in the classroom, it may very well be a distraction as well.
JeremyMcNamee

Pro

I'd like to thank my opponent for this debate, it was one I am interested in.

"I will eliminate this "tend to" and say that most of the kids I have seen in a classroom were not using them properly. This just was one classroom though, so results may come differently in other locations."

I'm assuming you are yourself an educator then since you are in the classrooms. I really respect your opinions coming from somebody who has been in the classrooms but your debates for this are just that, your personal views. The evidence points the other way saying that Ipads do help education and health as I have pointed out.

Even in your own quote the person said, "If used improperly, the Ipads can be a serious distraction in the classroom."
That is alot of ifs and none of that is quantifiable. It all sounds like pour conjecture.

Once again I thank you for this debate, I wish it was more rounds.

The evidence does point to Ipads being helpful. Vote pro.
Posted by TD_Cole 4 years ago
TD_Cole
Not to mention, Technology has things that can be blocked. Computers are prime example. Ecot (Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow), is a home school over the computer classrooms K-12. They send out computers themselves along with a headset and printer all for purposes for the classroom and homework assignments. Everything else on the computer is merely blocked off that could not be used for educational purposes. Via the computers only come with programs that will help out and block the use of the internet that does not relate to specific sites so other things can't be a part of the computer. (downloading games or playing online games.) If this could be done with computers. It certainly can be done with Ipads. All the teacher would need is a master Ipad that could in terms block things at times or tell what app is on the open screen of the Ipad. That's technology for you.
Posted by JeremyMcNamee 4 years ago
JeremyMcNamee
No problem. It was a good topic choice.
Posted by jnsag 4 years ago
jnsag
Thank you for accepting this debate, this was actually my first debate on this website so I am new to this, thank you for accepting.
Posted by JeremyMcNamee 4 years ago
JeremyMcNamee
That's okay, my argument is for all grades.
Posted by jnsag 4 years ago
jnsag
Just an F.Y.I, I forgot to include this is about elementary school, Grades 3-6.
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
jnsagJeremyMcNameeTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro showed that ipads do have educational value and that even though they do have drawbacks, so does just about everything else. Con argued that they do cause distractions but failed to overcome the fact that they can still be used to help students learn material better, and his argument was defeated pretty fast (since there were only two rounds to begin with). Arguments to the pro and sources to the pro as well since hes the only one who used them