sunnymarbles
patrick967

Should students be allowed to use their phone at lunch?

sunnymarbles

sunnymarbles

Con

Lately, the common topic about cell phones during lunch has been surfacing. I believe that cell phones should stay off at all times, even during lunch. Being that students have a lot to worry about on a daily bases they tend to misplace items. With a lot on their minds, losing their phones can create a major problem. Cell phones should remain off at home, or in a safe place at school.
patrick967

Pro

If students have so much on their mind, then they don't need to check their phone and perhaps lose it. I agree cell phones should remain in a safe place during classes, but at lunch, that is the students' time. Cell phones are a way to contact an adult if needed, or maybe they want to talk to their friends. I also agree losing a phone is a major problem, but with the rate Apple comes out with iPhones, that's not a big deal. But in all seriousness, there is Find My iPhone, and there is such a thing as a password.
sunnymarbles

Con

True, however why would they need to socialize with their friends if their they are other human beings sitting right next to them. Lunch time is basically an opportunity to make friends, and actually speak. Using their phones creates a distant barrier between a person and the world around them. The skill of communication will slowly deteriorate. Also, if it is an emergency and the parents need to be informed, the school office has phones that can notify the adults.
patrick967

Pro

At the very least, students should be able to take out their cell phones. Maybe not call, but possibly text or play games. There is such a thing as boredom. If I was able to take out my cell phone during lunch, I'd listen to music. I don't see how that could deteriorate skill of communication.
sunnymarbles

Con

Perhaps I should elaborate on "communication skills".

Socializing with other students provides connections and allows people to further expand their knowledge on what it is like to talk to fellow acquaintances. Socializing on the phone only creates disconnections among others. There is a time and place for everything, and people were just fine back then without using phones back then. If students are bored they should find entertainment another way like students used to. Not to sound rude but, students will obviously use their phones when they get home! So save it for then. It is another way to influence an addiction. Some people may skip lunch just to finish a certain game.. There focus on school work may be taken away by the constant desire to go to lunch. How is it possible for those who do not want to strain there eyes, or for those who simply DO NOT have a phone to enjoy the company of others. For those who waste their battery on games, what will they have to rely on if an emergency were to occur?

I would like to personally commend you for joining my debate.
patrick967

Pro

patrick967 forfeited this round.
Posted by sunnymarbles 3 years ago
sunnymarbles
Not all of them disobey the rules. Only a certain few. Disciplinary actions can be taken.
Posted by jennyg 3 years ago
jennyg
Personally, so far I would have to agree with sunny marbles. Cell phones takes away valuable social skills that society is starting to lack.
Posted by Dilara 3 years ago
Dilara
Allow them or not they'll do it anyways.
Vote Placed by Lt.Harris 3 years ago
Lt.Harris
sunnymarblespatrick967Tied
Reasons for voting decision: S&G were about the same. Con won conduct because of Pro's forfeiture and Con won arguments because he made points that Pro didn't refute.
Vote Placed by William.Burnham 3 years ago
William.Burnham
sunnymarblespatrick967Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited, con gets my vote for that reason, though neither did very good bringing outside sources to the debate.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
sunnymarblespatrick967Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for the forfeit. As to arguments, I did not find Con's particularly compelling. However, Pro's rebuttal, while strong, was in turn responded to and, since he then forfeited, it stands--I think that he could have offered some arguments against that would have been sufficient to defeat the motion, but by forfeiting he lost his chance to do so. If you let your opponent make all the arguments, even the bad ones wind up winning. So arguments to Con. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.