Edvin_32178
Nicoszon_the_Great

Should students be authorized to argue against their professors?

Edvin_32178

Pro

In my opinion I think that students should be authorized to argue with their professors because a professor that is teaching a class might make a mistake and teach the the class something wrong. Then the student should be able to argue with their professors only if the student he/she is right.

That's my opinion that students should be able to argue with their professors.

Now I will wait for my opponents argument.
Nicoszon_the_Great

Con

In my opinion, a student is a novice, level one, nooby for whatever field they're studying in. In comparison, the teacher is a master, and has spent years dedicated to unravelling the mysteries of subject field. That being said, a student most likely has little to no knowledge base on the subject in comparison to the teacher.

So no, a student should not openly challenge his teachers, but rather ask them about the subject privately and absorb any information the instructor has to offer.

NOTE: I would we refer from using examples of potential arguments that are largely opinionated, thank you.
Edvin_32178

Pro

Rebuttals

"In my opinion, a student is a novice, level one, nooby for whatever field they're studying in. In comparison, the teacher is a master, and has spent years dedicated to unravelling the mysteries of subject field. That being said, a student most likely has little to no knowledge base on the subject in comparison to the teacher."

1. Don't think of teachers as masterminds; They can make mistakes too. Say, when I was a student, based on my intelligence, I felt I encountered an error. As a child, I was actually interested in education and kept trying to get a head-start by learning things I haven't yet learned in school. And everytime I were to scrutinize my professor, they would always accept it and then, I and my classmates understand.

2. If we never scrutinize, we would ALWAYS have to accept the Professor's teachings as true, in which, if we feel we have encountered an error, we'll never understand.

I await my opponent's next set of arguments.
Nicoszon_the_Great

Con

I agree that a professor is as susceptible to error as anyone else, however, a student should always take their experience into account. Say a student makes an argument that is completely false, but believes he is right, what is to be done then? If he argues with the instructor, rather than listening to them, they could turn the teacher off entirely and learn nothing. Such a case would promote ignorance, which is why I state that rather than openly challenging a moral authority, one should attempt to have a quieted and private discussion on the matter. If a professor is completely wrong on a matter, it is better to correct him privately rather than publicly, which could damage his authority or pride. This way he will be able to correct himself the next time class is in session. If a student is proven wrong, however, I'm sure we all would be red in the face if such a thing happened to us in front of all of our classmates.
Edvin_32178

Pro

The thing about is that a student could be saying something wrong, which he/she thinks is correct. How could the student know if he/she is correct without arguing with the professor. That is the only way that the student could know that he/she was ether right or wrong. In other cases it is likely that a professor couldn't make a mistake. But the thing is that a student might be thinking so etching else. So therefore the student should argue with the professor. Even though there is a class full of other students. That is the only way the student he/she will know if he/she thinking is correct or wrong.

Therefore I Believe that students should be authorized to argue with their professors.
Nicoszon_the_Great

Con

I've already stated that students can discuss points with their teachers, however getting into a debate or argument during the middle of a class is both disruptive and pointless.
Edvin_32178

Pro

Okay when I said that students should be allowed to argue with their professors I didn't mean like a debate. I'm talking about when the student thinks something that is wrong and asks a question to why that the students theory is wrong.
Nicoszon_the_Great

Con

Nicoszon_the_Great forfeited this round.
Edvin_32178

Pro

Sine my opponent has forfeited this round I will not post any of my arguments.
Nicoszon_the_Great

Con

Posted by IvenMartin 2 years ago
IvenMartin
I would absolutely encourage it, it let's the professor have an understanding of the students misunderstandings and areas that warrant special interests. The professor can then address that area of interest and bring everybody around to the same page. He can also challenge the student to think outside of the box and let the students explain. That is what I call student teacher involvement.
Posted by kbub 2 years ago
kbub
Students can argue with their professors in my experience. They usually get "schooled" though...