jimmy6991
NorthernArk

Should students be forced to attend school?

jimmy6991

Pro

Since my elementary school years to the present day, I've met more and more kids who are very non-enthusiastic about school and/or do not want to attend school. Most kids say that they're tired of being forced to attend school and that there should be no requirements in place as to weather or not they attend school. Personally, I think that each state should continue to require all kids under the age of 18 to attend school. Putting forth such a requirement would greatly benefit society by properly educating minors and preparing them to succeed in today's world. People that are against this proposal may say that the student should have the right to choose, or that it's the parents' decision. Though most parents would probably think that it's in their kid's best interest to attend school, the child may be able to convince them that not attending school would be a good option. Personally, my opinion is that there should continue to be some type of formal requirement put in place for minors under the age of 18 that would force them to attend school until they have completed high school, the only exception being that a student is excused from school if they are ill or must miss a few days due to a family vacation or other family affair.
NorthernArk

Con

I agree that a student should be forced to attend schooling, but only until grade 8. The way high school is done today is, in my opinion, a waste of time. High school is suppose to be a time when a young person can start to decide what path they will direct their life. Weather that be the trades, a profession, or otherwise. The problem with high school is that it does not supply the student with enough freedom to even get close to trying what he or she wants to do. Something needs to be done to allow students to lean more in their own direction. I have since leaving high school met many people that changed their courses in university or college more than 2 times because they didn't know what they wanted to do when leaving high school. High school is suppose to prepare young people to be better citizens as you say, but it isn't. Not for everyone anyway. But I guess as long as MOST people have a happy successful life, that's okay....for most people.

My main point is that the way it is done right now is dumb. Society has changed, job forces have changed, the job MARKET has changed, and schooling needs to change to keep up!

jimmy6991

Pro

I do agree with some of the things you are saying, but if you make 8th grade the point at which students will no longer be required to attend school, they will be missing out on all of the essential knowledge that is being taught in today's high schools. What about jobs? Most average jobs today require at least a high school diploma or equivelant education. Are you proposing that if the option is open to end school after 8th grade, that would mean that employers would have to lower their standards in order to accomadate those who did not go onto high school? Now, I do agree with you that as long as most people have a happy and successful life, then that's ok. But, don't you agree that they'd be able to succeed on a higher level by at least completing high school and getting that extra knowledge that would not be taught if the optional cut-off was 8th grade?
NorthernArk

Con

NorthernArk forfeited this round.
jimmy6991

Pro

jimmy6991 forfeited this round.
NorthernArk

Con

NorthernArk forfeited this round.
jimmy6991

Pro

jimmy6991 forfeited this round.
NorthernArk

Con

NorthernArk forfeited this round.