imahyperbanana
tornshoe92

Should students be kicked off extracurricular teams for drug use?

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required

imahyperbanana

Con

Adolescents are prone to peer pressure more easily than any other age group out there [1]. Does this mean that because a student does drugs while participating in an extracurricular team, it can influence other students in that group to follow their risky behaviors? Does their drug-use really interfere with their participation in that group?

Students should not be kicked off their team because of their drug-use (by this, I do not mean steroids, I'm talking more along the lines of marijuana, tobacco, alcohol, etc.). It is their personal business and although it may potentially affect their performance levels, it is their choice to use that drug.

[1]-http://sitemaker.umich.edu...
tornshoe92

Pro

I'm looking forward to this debate quite a bit. As a Music Education major it is an important subject that will (hopefully not) become relevant in my future. Now, onto the debate.

1) My opponent asks whether or not a student doing drugs can influence other members of the extracurricular activity. To me the answer is yes. If a student participates in activities (drinking, doing drugs, etc.) then there will almost always be at the very least 1 or 2 people in that same group that want to do the same activity in order to be part of a group so that they "fit in" better. This is particularly true for the young groups that this debate focuses on. People in their teenage years, like my opponent and myself, are generally more susceptible to a need to have as many friends as possible and to be accepted by as many people as possible. To that end, young people will often forgo logic and reasoning in order to be accepted by their peers.

2) Next, my opponent asks if drug-use interferes with participation in extracurricular activities. According to my source at the bottom of the round and other research I've done, marijuana "Impairs skills requiring eye-hand coordination and a fast reaction time" which is imperative to any extracurricular sport. Also, to address my opponent's point that "It is their personal business and although it may potentially affect their performance levels, it is their choice to use that drug." While a person should have the right to do things to their own body as long as it doesn't harm others, if a person lowers their athletic performance through drugs then it negatively affects how the team as a whole performs. Therefore, the coaches or whoever is in charge of a respective extracurricular group should be allowed to remove players from a team if the players are actively hurting the team's chances for success.

http://espn.go.com...
imahyperbanana

Con

My opponent, Pro, informs me that marijuana impairs eye coordination and a fast reaction time. However, it states in his source that these impaired skills last up to 24-36 hours after usage. What if the user of the drug is fully sober by the time he performs for his team? Does his/her use of drugs still qualify him to be dismissed from the team? How about tobacco? As my source [1] states, smoking a cigarette actually increases heart rate, which may increase a player's performance (as it gives the user adrenaline).

Pro also states that influence comes into play when it comes to a member of an extracurricular activity. I'm pretty sure you can find a lot of people find influences of drug usage from pretty much anywhere, you can go around busy areas and find people smoking all the time. You don't go up to that stranger and ask for a bud, despite how cool he looks? You may be even around your father, whom you admire, smoking and you do not like the smell of nicotine or admire the way his father's teeth look after he smokes. Just because these people do these things, it doesn't mean that you truly want to do the same as they are doing. This applies to friends and peers as well. On the athletic team, you might have someone doing drugs in his spare time. Would you really follow that guy on your team's unhealthy habit just because he is doing it? You've got people all around you doing the same thing, and you would never smoke a bud until this kid on your team came along? I do not think so.

[1] http://www.ehow.com...
tornshoe92

Pro

My opponent argues that it is possible for the effects of marijuana to have worn off by the time a player needs to perform for his team. I see two main problems with that. First, players need to be alert during practices or they risk either not learning what they need to (plays or fundamentals) or they could be injured which would very negatively impact their performance. The 24-36 hours of impairment easily covers the time frame in which players are at practice because most schools practice either every day or every other day. Secondly, it is difficult to trust that someone who drinks or does drugs at a young age will do so with their performances in mind and so should not be expected to be responsible enough to be prepared for games and performances. My opponent then goes on to cite his source which is about the effects of tobacco and other various chemicals in cigarettes. While the page does say that smoking a cigarette increases heart rate, it shows that this increase is bad for the smoker and not good as Con implied. "After smoking a cigarette, a smoker will have his heart rate will increase by 10 to 20 beats per minute. Blood pressure will also increase by 5 to 10 points. Nicotine and other chemicals in the smoke constrict blood vessels throughout the body. Blood and oxygen can't move as easily through narrowed blood vessels, increasing the likelihood of heart disease or stroke. The poor circulation can also make a smoker's fingers and hands cold." It is very risky for a coach to put a player in a game if the player already has an increased heart rate from smoking because doing anything athletic is only going to make the problem worse. The article then also goes on to talk about multiple other problems which are very relevant to people involved in athletics including higher risk of blood clots, strokes and heart attacks, and increased amounts of mucus in the lungs.

My opponent's second argument is that it doesn't make sense that people would just follow people into unhealthy habits, but as I stated earlier, people in their teenage years will sometimes throw caution and reason to the wind if they think doing something will make them "more cool". Now of course I'm not saying that everyone will but I personally have known a few people just from high school that didn't start doing drugs or drinking alcohol until they met someone who did the same things and it really ended up hurting them.
imahyperbanana

Con

I am unable to continue this debate. My opponent wins this topic.
tornshoe92

Pro

I appreciate the effort that my opponent put in to the debate and I wish that we could have finished. If you ever wish to retry the debate I would enjoy that.
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
It didn't come up n the debate, but aren't sports and other extracurricular activities sponsored by schools supposed to "build character." A person might be able to compete while impaired by drugs, but the character part is that they must strive to do their best, which is unimpaired.

Being kicked off a team is also punishment, and is a deterrent.
Posted by Caramel 6 years ago
Caramel
Drug use <em>is<em> extra-curricular
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
imahyperbananatornshoe92Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con concedes.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
imahyperbananatornshoe92Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 6 years ago
Ore_Ele
imahyperbananatornshoe92Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had the better arguements, even before Con admitted defeat. Con was only able to question a few points of Pro's, but not really refute anything.
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
imahyperbananatornshoe92Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con conceded; Pro wins by default.