Miss.Falconieri
adilmuhammad

Should students be mandated to bring in healthy snacks only?

Miss.Falconieri

Pro

Should students be mandated to eat a healthy snack? Yes, we believe that students should be mandated to bring in a healthy snack. A healthy snack could include fruits, vegetables with hummus, yogurt/go-gurt, all fruit smoothie, raisins, applesauce, cheese, pretzels etc. as well as, a healthy drink such as water, juice, or milk. If you bring in an unhealthy snack, including chips, candy, chocolate, fruit snacks or gummies, pop-tarts, cookies etc. you may not eat it during snack time, ONLY LUNCH.

One reason students should bring in a healthy snack is because there has been an increase of obesity within the United States. According to, Center of Disease Control and Prevention, it states that childhood obesity has more than doubled in children and quadrupled in adolescents in the past 30 years. 1, 2
The percentage of children aged 6"11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 18% in 2012. Similarly, the percentage of adolescents aged 12"19 years who were obese increased from 5%

Another reason why students should bring in healthy snacks is because students may get sick or have a sugar rush due to all the process food. Blood sugar dips three to five hours after you eat. Eating small, frequent snacks keeps your metabolism revved up and helps normalize blood sugar.

A third reason why students should be mandated to bring in a healthy snack is because students can concentrate better with a healthy snack in their system. "Nutrition really is the key to a healthy lifestyle and a healthy life. It goes a long way toward lowering the risk for heart disease and improving overall health," says Dr. Rita Redberg, a cardiologist at the University of California, San Francisco Medical Center, who also contributes to health-oriented cookbooks.
adilmuhammad

Con

Hi, Im Adil Muhammad from the state of Qatar,

I am against this motion...

Before starting, let me plz refute what you wrote in the first round

"A healthy snack could include fruits, vegetables with hummus, yogurt/go-gurt, all fruit smoothie, raisins, applesauce, cheese, pretzels etc. ".....
Cheese?? Don't you know that cheese is a very large factor in obesity!!!
Pretzels?? Pretzels aren't called lunch
Fruits?? Nobody eats fruits at lunch..

Now let me plz start my points

Firstly, A student must have his own choice to eat whatever he wants, as long as its legal

Secondly, if a student wants to eat something NOT healthy, he can eat it in his house.. (anywhere outside the school). IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE IF IT IS IN SCHOOL

So by that, we can say that your first and second reasons are wrong....

The third reason,
"because students can concentrate better with a healthy snack in their system. "Nutrition really is the key to a healthy lifestyle and a healthy life. It goes a long way toward lowering the risk for heart disease and improving overall health," says Dr. Rita Redberg, a cardiologist at the University of California, San Francisco Medical Centre, who also contributes to health-oriented cookbooks."

You brought a point, then a quote after it, while everybody can see that thier is no relation between the two
Miss.Falconieri

Pro

First off, use proper grammar. Next, about your cheese point, process cheese is what leads to obesity, HOWEVER fresh mozzarella is not processed and is a great snack that has a great source of dairy and calcium.

Secondly, when you spoke about pretzels not being for lunch, we were talking about HEALTHY SNACKS, (plz) --> please reread our argument. Also, out of a class of 17 more than half of the students eat fruits at lunch including, strawberries, oranges, grapes, apples, cantaloupe, watermelon, cherries, clementines, raspberries, pineapple, pomegranate, tomatoes, bananas etc.

Furthermore, even if you eat an unhealthy at your own home, having a HEALTHY snack during SNACK TIME in school will provide you with a good source of nutrition and promote healthy eating outside the classroom. In addition, if you eat junk food as your snack in class and eat it at home that is twice as much junk food you intake within a day.

Moving onto you stating the quote not matching our statement, it is proving healthy eating which is what we are fighting for.
adilmuhammad

Con

Firstly, sorry for bad grammar.... I'm an EFL (English as a Foreign Language) speaker, so plz excuse me for bad language.

Secondly, MANDATING anything gets bad results..... The actual thing we should do is tell the students, not making it mandatory for them to bring in healthy snacks.

For example, in my last school, junk foods were allowed. I don't remember I ever brought junk foods to the school ( I was in the school for two years) except three times, provided it was just at parties...

At my current school, junk foods are prohibited, and we are even checked for junk food..... Just THIS year, without the last one (this is my second year in this school) I brought potato chips every two weeks (I still do).

Furthermore, it has taught me how to easily smuggle things.

Thank you very much, Adil Muhammad form Qatar.
Miss.Falconieri

Pro

Miss.Falconieri forfeited this round.
adilmuhammad

Con

I grant my opponent more time show his arguments and counter-arguments (rebuttals).
Miss.Falconieri

Pro

Miss.Falconieri forfeited this round.
adilmuhammad

Con

I grant my opponent EVEN MORE time show his arguments and counter-arguments (rebuttals). I hate people who forfeit rounds.