Should students be more accepting and judge less ( stereotyping/prejudging)

MJA1018 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

Should students be more accepting and judge less? ( stereotyping/prejudging)
No I think they should toughen up. So someone who thinks otherwise like "they should just stop it or judge less"

I thank my opponent MJA1018 for creating this debate and wish him the best of luck in the coming rounds.

Before I continue, as Con provided no definitions, I will do so now:

accepting: giving admittance or approval to

judge: to form a negative opinion about

stereotype: to believe unfairly that all people or things with a particular characteristic are the same

prejudice: an unfair feeling of dislike for a person or group because of race, sex, religion, etc.

Since there are only 3 rounds to this debate I will start with my opening statements and attempt to deconstruct Con's argument.

I have several years of teaching experience, both from my time in university and from employment as a full-time teacher. I am currently teaching English in Japan. I mention this only to establish credibility.

I have personally taught students with severe anxiety issues, and their performance in school suffered as a result of this. This was no doubt due to the bullying they received, and had they not been on the receiving end of this, I strongly believe they would have less social anxiety and would have better grades. I see no reason as to why someone would think students should be less accepting of others and stereotype and judge others more for things that are out of their control.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention conducted a study on the effects of youth bullying and published a comprehensive article on the subject. To quote their article:

"Bullying can result in physical injuries, social and emotional difficulties, and acadmic problems. The harmful effects of bullying are frequently felt by others, including friends and family, and can hurt the overall health and safety of schools, neighborhoods, and society."

Bullying does not just involve the victim and instigator, it hurts everyone.

I would now like to take a look at Con's opening statement.

"Should students be more accepting and judge less?...No I think they should toughen up."

What exactly does "toughen[ing] up" accomplish? What is harmful about being more accepting and less judging of others? My opponent leaves many of these important questions unanswered, and I hope they can shed more light on their side of this argument.