brad1999
alexkyl99

Should student's be required to say the pledge of alligence?

brad1999

brad1999

Con

Round 1 acceptance
round 2 arguements
round 3 rebuttals
alexkyl99

Pro

you are not a true American if you don't say the pledge of allegiance!
brad1999

Con

1. You have a right to Remain Silent

2. The 'under god' phrase may not suit some people you have a freedom of religion

My opponent said 'if you don't say the pledge your not a true American' You are an American no matter what if you were born in the United states you are American it doesn't matter if you say the pledge or not you have a right to choose.
alexkyl99

Pro

pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of America" is also in the pledge of allegiance. if you do not say that then you are basically saying that you do not care about the flag of America or America itself. you can just leave the under god part out.
brad1999

Con

brad1999 forfeited this round.
alexkyl99

Pro

alexkyl99 forfeited this round.
Posted by OverLordGoldDragon 2 years ago
OverLordGoldDragon
In 1943 West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette the Supreme Court ruled that the requiring students by public schools to say the pledge of allegiance violated the first and fourteenth amendments and is thus unconstitutional.

You can view the court case here:

http://supremecourthistory.org...
Posted by AOP 2 years ago
AOP
I believe back in the 40's, they pledged allegiance with the Sig Heil, forward arm salute. The pledge of allegiance actually started the Nazi salute or something like that. Do some research if you really want to delve into the subject.
And no they shouldn't. Allegiance is not something to be forced. Although if you don't want a Matrix hypothetical, that either. Allegiance should be earned, through values. If I were a great leader for instance, I would want willing followers, just as if I were in an individual relationship, I would want the individual to reciprocate. There is a difference between willing obedience and rape. That should be obvious.
Posted by Najs 2 years ago
Najs
I didn't pledge alligence to the flag. It's a free country, right? Besides, I have my reasons why I do not. It should be a choice.
Vote Placed by daem0n 2 years ago
daem0n
brad1999alexkyl99Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con does not contradict Pro's statement that people have the right to remain silent. Con presents no actual reason why it is important to "care about the flag of America or America itself."