hannahh_mwahhx3
Vishrut

Should students be required to take a swimming class as part of Physical Education?

hannahh_mwahhx3

hannahh_mwahhx3

Con

Students should not be required to take a swimming class as part of Physical Education. Although swimming is a useful skill, it is hard for the supervisor to focus on all students at once. Playing flag football in an open gym and swimming in a pool are two different things. Gym class is intended to provide an environment where students can build teamwork and strategy skills. In the case of a pool, a teacher can not have all eyes on 15 or 20 students at a time. I speak from personal experience, unfortunately. During a swimming class my freshman year of high school, my friend drowned. The teacher was paying more attention to the students in the deep end who were jumping off the diving board. The day it happened, it was a half day at school so we were allowed a free period but I did not swim. My friend had recently came to America from Ghana, and was not a strong swimmer. Every class, he looked forward to learning new strokes and strengthening his skills as a swimmer. Unfortunately, he never got the opportunity. The teacher was placed on paid administrative leave while an investigation took place, and it was ruled an accidental drowning. It turns out that he was underwater for 17 minutes before I had noticed him at the bottom of the deep end. Surveillance video shows him walking over to the ladder of the deep end, although he should have been in the shallow end due to his lack of swimming experience. Next, he climbed in, and most likely lost his footing on the steps that were build into the wall. He went under, and never came up again. This all happened in November of 2012, so it is still fresh in the minds of many. I will stand by my opinion that swimming is an extremely useful skill, but should be offered as an elective in schools that offer it.
Vishrut

Pro

In the 1985 Ron Howard movie "Cocoon," a group of elderly adults discovers that a nearby swimming pool has the power to imbue them with new strength, enhanced energy and a more youthful sense of well-being. While the cause of their new lease on life turns out to be from another planet, it doesn't take alien technology to reap the benefits of your neighborhood pool.

Even without the aid of mysterious otherworldly cocoons, regular swimming can offer anyone, especially students
, a wide range of health benefits -- including feeling and looking energetic.
hannahh_mwahhx3

Con

hannahh_mwahhx3 forfeited this round.
Vishrut

Pro

Vishrut forfeited this round.
hannahh_mwahhx3

Con

hannahh_mwahhx3 forfeited this round.
Vishrut

Pro

Vishrut forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Beverlee 3 years ago
Beverlee
hannahh_mwahhx3VishrutTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think that kids should have to learn swimming, but I dont think that just one sentence can make the case for it. I wished Pro had used some evidence, or some compelling logic.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
hannahh_mwahhx3VishrutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con argued that teaching swimming was too risky for high schools. He had logical arguments based upon comparison with flag football saying that instructor inattention was more likely to be fatal. Pro should have argued that having rules on class size could make it safe, and that there would be later lives saved from knowing how to swim. Pro, however, ignored Con's arguments and instead just argued swimming was enjoyable. The Con arguments remained standing. The forfeits cancel in the Conduct category.