andyh20
Ilona

Should students be required to use technology in school?

andyh20

Con

I feel that technology has no place in a classroom environment. My reasoning is that students who use technology in class such as, calculators, tablets, and computers tend to become me easily distracted.
My first contention is that with tablets, comes a distraction. According to www.procon.org, 87% of K-12 teachers believe that "today"s digital technologies are creating an easily distracted generation with short attention spans" Because students can become easily distracted, they would be missing the whole purpose of
why schools are giving them the tablets in the first place, to help them learn.

My second contention is that students run the risk of damaging or breaking the tablets supplied by the schools. If a tablet breaks, it requires a experienced technician to fix or repair. Not to mention the bill that the parents would receive. Because the school would have to have a tablet be repaired, a student wouldn"t be able to learn anything for the time being, because he broke the tablet.
Ilona

Pro

If you use technology you get more answers that are specific and back up with evidence. If students didn't have technology in school they would not be able to use certain web city and helpful tools to complete assignments or tasks. Technology can give students knowledge they could not get from a ordinary teacher.
andyh20

Con

My opponent states in her first contention, "If you have technology you would get more answers that are specific and back up with evidence"

That is not neccesarily true. Most students who use technology get answers that are way off, and don't make any since. Second, if students use websites to find answers to mathematical equations wouldn't get evidence to show how they got that answer. All they would get is an answer. Third, students who use websites to get answers, aren't learning anything and wont benefit later on in life.

Thus my opponents first contention is refuted.

My opponents second contention states, "Technology can give students knowledge they could not get from a ordinary teacher."

If students are using technology to find answers for schoolwork, then they aren't learning from a teacher, so there is no proof that they are learning anything from an extraordinary teacher. Thus my opponents second contention is refuted.
Ilona

Pro

Almost everywhere today everything is ran virtually. Records are kept on computers along with documents and almost anything else you can imagine. Computer experience is almost required to get a good job and to be able to function in today's society. there for.... Students also use technology to story files, research, write papers, do science fair projects. Some things you just cant do with technology.
andyh20

Con

My third and final contention is that students can come up with a variety of excuses to get out of doing schoolwork, such as, "I forgot my tablet at home" or "My tablet froze/crashed" Students could also say that they submitted their assignments when they didn't, and blame it on their assignment not getting sent properly. The point is, your opening up a can of worms when you require students to use technology in a classroom environment. If students want to use technology, they should sign up for Virtual School.

I thank my opponent for accepting my challenge
Ilona

Pro

My 3rd contention is that the amount of money spent to create e-textbooks compared to paper textbooks is a super saver. According to a 2012 report from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), K-12 school districts spend more than $8 billion per year on textbooks. E-textbooks can save schools between $250-$1,000 per student per year. Tablet prices also continue to drop, making them increasingly affordable.

Because of this money saving plan, schools would have an increasingly bigger budget, which could then be use to improve the school.

My 4th and final contentions is that students who use technology are proven to perform better on standardized testing. Publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt tested an interactive, digital version of an Algebra 1 textbook for Apple's iPad in California's Riverside Unified School District. Students who used the iPad version scored 20 percent higher on standardized tests versus students who learned with traditional textbooks.

I thank my opponent for this challenge
Posted by Moroni23 2 years ago
Moroni23
The statement pro made of 'don't make any since' was ironic. :)
Posted by Ilona 2 years ago
Ilona
ssss