bman066
ColeTrain

Should students get payed for good grades

ColeTrain

bman066

Pro

yes because it encourages them to work harder
ColeTrain

Con

C1) Grades do not reflect competence.

It is true that grades do not always define or reflect the competence of an individual. That said, a child that is naturally intelligent must have other aspects to push them to do better than an easily earned A. Students that have learning disabilities or have external factors that prevent such success would have an unfair chance at receiving the money being distributed. This would be both discriminatory and unfair. Because of the disparity of inherent intelligence, paying for grades is fallible.

C2) Paying for grades raises costs.

Paying students for good grades would astronomically raise education costs. This is a problem. [1]

Rebuttals:

"Encourages them to work harder." This is false. The purpose of school is to teach student how to work hard. Hard work must be taught prior to paying students for work. School work is not the same as the workforce, and should not be paid for by citizens.

[1] http://nces.ed.gov...

VOTE CON.
bman066

Pro

bman066 forfeited this round.
ColeTrain

Con

I have refuted my opponent's arguments, thus they fall. My opponent has forfeited and not challenged any of my points. Extend these.
bman066

Pro

bman066 forfeited this round.
ColeTrain

Con

Extend arguments.
Vote Placed by asi14 2 years ago
asi14
bman066ColeTrainTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate could have been a lot better than it was. PRO: Why did you forfeit? I saw plenty of things that could be rebutted in the con's arguments. The only time where forfeiture is acceptable is if one accidentally accepted a debate which revolved around whether or not the debate's title had the word "of" in it (incidentally, I accepted that debate, and had to declare forfeiture in that debate). Moreover, your case argument was basically "money encourages people to work harder." You should have known that's a fishy argument, so you should have backed up that information with evidence, or more arguments! Don't just make 1 line arguments; that just makes the con's job easier, and yours harder. CON: I understand the pro forfeited this debate, but in your speech of Round 2, maybe instead of saying "forfeiture, thus extend my args", you could have used it to add more depth to your own arguments, and make the pro's job even harder. Aside from that, good job. RFD: pro forfeited.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
bman066ColeTrainTied