DatDebater
MissLuLu

Should students have homework?

DatDebater

Con

Well, many of you will say no to this, and I agree. In my opinion, schoolwork is already enough and to have more work is stressful
MissLuLu

Pro

Thank you for creating this debate. I will be undertaking the Pro argument.

I will provide reasons that homework is, in fact, beneficial to students in addition to their schoolwork. I will also point out several instances in which the teacher and the parents benefit as well.

For the sake of clarity (taken from the Oxford dictionary):
  • homework: schoolwork that a student is required to do at home
  • schoolwork: work assigned students by their teacher in school
  • stressful: causing mental or emotional stress

Homework can lead to better communication between students and their teacher. It allows both parties to observe a student's strengths and weaknesses in the subject and to give a premise for address. Students have personal time to develop questions about the subject or material being covered, and can ask the teacher prior to, during, or after the class period. Even if the student does not come forward, the teacher is able to see where the student might need additional tutoring and may subtly or directly address the problem. Students may also ask friends, siblings, or parents for help with their homework. This also develops communication skills as well as strengthens the bond between them.

Students who complete their homework daily display a strong work ethic. Employers look for this quality, so it is a useful and important skill to develop early in childhood. A good work ethic leads to a better chance of being hired and even promoted in the working world. People who complete their work diligently and early have more relaxing free time because they do not have to stress about what they have to finish. It leads students to prioritize and gives them responsibilities. Homework encourages students to think independently outside of the classroom.

Homework is usually assigned in order to give students more practice in the material or subject being covered. It helps students to learn the subject so that when it comes time to test, they are confident and well-informed. Sometimes homework is given in order to offer a chance to bring up a student's grades, or even as extra credit.

Finally, homework is a means of parents getting more involved in their children's education. Parents may look over the assignments to see what their child is learning and how the teacher teaches the subject or material.

Now that I have presented my argument, I will address your opening statement.

You state, "schoolwork is already enough and to have more work is stressful."

It is not nearly as stressful if the student sets up a schedule. Of course it is not possibe to follow a routine all the time, but a basic structure helps to eliminate distractions. For example, a student might relax for an hour when he returns home from school, and then put his phone or book away and work on homework for thirty minutes. Then he will take a break for an hour or so (possibly to eat and shower), and then take up the work again, and so on until it is finished and he ready to retire for the night. Homework does not need to be done all in one sitting. In fact, I do not recommend that myself.

This is, for now, my case. I do not have the time to continue because I must get ready for a meeting. My only source in this round was the Oxford dictionary on my desk.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your response.

DatDebater

Con

DatDebater forfeited this round.
MissLuLu

Pro

Con has forfeited Round 2.

My argument from R1 still holds, and I will not add anything at this time due to lack of rebuttal.

DatDebater

Con

DatDebater forfeited this round.
MissLuLu

Pro

Con has forfeited Round 3.

I have nothing to add at this time because I do not feel it is necessary to continue this lackluster debate.

DatDebater

Con

DatDebater forfeited this round.
MissLuLu

Pro

Con has forfeited Round 4.

I win by default.

Posted by Agentbean007 1 year ago
Agentbean007
Yes!!! Because it modivates you do get it done in school, not at home, if you had homework, it would motivate you to get it done. No homework would evaluate the modivation, and you would eventually fail without it, if you want less homework, teachers should assign it during class.
Posted by ConnorSween16 1 year ago
ConnorSween16
As a student, I do not think GRADED homework should be a thing. I think additional work, if needed should be given, but not graded. Homework should be used purely as a tool to help with tests. After 7+ hours of sitting and working your butt off, we should not have to go home an do an additional 2+ hours of work. The schools want us to go to school, play a sport, do an extra curricular activity, eat healthy, have a social life, get a job, AND get 8 hours of sleep. It is ridiculous to burden students with MORE work.
Posted by Elord 1 year ago
Elord
Well my high school has homework every day and a test every other week and we have a 99.7% graduation rate with one third going into Ivy League schools @forbidtristan. Anecdotes don't mean anything.
Posted by ForbidTristan 1 year ago
ForbidTristan
I'm in high school and I nearly never get homework which means at school we study and do our problems at school and the only time we ever have homework is to see where we need help on, but we do not take it for a grade and on this note last year was not even as good as it is now.