Should students have homework?

My last debate seems to have glitched, so I am posting this one in its stead.

Rules of Debate:
First Round: Acceptance.
Second Round: Arguments.
Third Round: Continuation of arguments (if you have concluded your arguments type "Pass." This is simply in case you somehow run out of room due to character limitations.
Fourth Round: Rebuttals
Fifth Round: Conclusion.

*If you wish to add an argument you may have forgotten after the third round, then please include it at the bottom of the round followed by a note specifying that it was a forgotten/new argument.

Homework- an assignment given to a student to be completed outside the regular class period

I apologize for the delay on my first argument. I appreciate the acceptance, NateTheFirst, and hope for a good argument. I shall begin:

I think it best to begin by describing the proposed intent of homework. Homework is most commonly recognize among the general public as an educational tool, used to extend concept and theory beyond the initial class time and to a student's time at home. According to (, the favor of homework has undergone immense doubt and controversy throughout the twentieth century, landing in favor at modern day. In my debate, I shall seek to disprove this popular belief.

Although a bit off topic, I might introduce the nature of the public schooling environment. The reason for this is because I have reason to believe that homework is an immediate reflection of this same agenda. The current model of public education, in America at least, is centered around programs such as "Common Core" and "No Child Left Behind". These programs set rigorous standards for students and introduce numerous tests for the sake of observation. However, this logic may be the very reason for the declining state of American, public schooling. By placing such emphasis on testing, class time is cut, and teachers are dictated their curriculum. And when class time is cut, homework is implemented.

These same system also impose "zero-tolerance" policies which, ultimately, have turned schools into something similar to police states. Students are belittled, searched (, tracked (, handcuffed (general news), and forced to undergo psychological evaluation if dissident (

( for more examples.

Now, you might ask, "what does this have to do with homework?" The homework is nothing more than preparation for these standardized tests. The standards are pushed for the -quantity- of the learning over the -quality-. This being said, teachers frequently are rushed to apply new material each day instead of reviewing old material. However, homework is a reflection of the same mentality. A mentality of control. If the schools already control the student mind within the institutions, then how may they ever control the student mind -outside- of school? Well the answer to that question is homework. One might claim that homework is a harmless tool, but what is one thing a student may not do while completing homework? Think. Free thought. A person cannot multitask, especially mentally ( The time one commits to homework, they are unable to contemplate their studies philosophically. They are unable to piece together the information in their head because, in essence, they are merely studying the pieces. But what purpose is a puzzle piece if it is never used to create a puzzle?

Should a student's duty not be to mentally reflect the studied materials and concepts? By imposing set material, a student merely learns the components of a theory rather than the entirety. For example, a physics teacher assigns a list of problems. The student learns to manipulate varying formulas to discover the answers to individual problems. Of course this is a necessary skill (one which should be taught in class), but this negates the time a student could have used, philosophically reflecting a theory such as space-time, for "practice". This is not even to mention that students frequently struggle on given homework materials, meaning the completion of the homework may not always even be feasible. Why not spend class time actually -learning? Instead, it is mindlessly wasted on test prep for ACT, SAT, common core, PSAT, etc. Students spend unprecedented time on test preparation, and not on the material itself.

So what is the solution that the education systems have promptly offered: More tests, more homework. They eat away at class time and force as much material as they possibly can into the schedule. By doing this, the quality of the information drastically decreases, and all uncompleted material, mandated by the schedule, is shoved into the students' personal lives.

Now that I have discussed the nature of the public education, how about we discuss the negative results of students and homework. These arguments will most likely be the most common arguments in regard to the general public's perception of homework. Afterwards, I would like to discuss some popular theories and suggestions to educational improvement in the stead of homework.
Well, I believe the most obvious topic of concern is most definitely time. Since it is the most discussed, I shall address this first. The average, American student (high school) will yield approximately a seven-hour school day. This does not include extracurricular activities or homework. I would like to mention that there are also twenty-four hours in a day (I would assume most people understand this, but some of their arguments tend to contradict this very, basic fact). A student is expected to complete his or her full schedule on a typical school day. This is seven hours. An average high school student also requires an average of nine hours per night. This now totals at sixteen hours. Assume the person takes approximately an hour to get ready and eat breakfast in the morning. Seventeen hours. An hour to drive to school and back. Eighteen hours. Now, assume this student attends extracurricular activities for about an hour. Nineteen hours. Dinner. Twenty hours. Already, this is adhering to a very average schedule. While a student may get an average of about two hours a night, an AP student may range well over four hours per night. I shall now branch this off into two sections.

Average student- At twenty two hours already. Any student who works a job will by now, almost definitely, hit the twenty-four hour mark. This being said, any "average" student with a job is left with zero time for socialization or free time.
AP student- At twenty four hours already. An AP student holding a job will usually cut into their sleep schedule or homework schedule in order to manage time. The student will also have no time to socialize or any free time.

A popular trend among students is to cut either into their sleep schedule or their homework schedule. However, depending on the workload, often they are required to cut into both. More often than not, the sleep is wholeheartedly sacrificed. Now, one might say "well studies are more important than sleep". Well, how about we look at the disadvantages of sleep deprivation: Mood-swings, microsleep (resulting in dangerous road conditions), stress, memory problems, increase in obesity, decreased alertness, etc. (, Less than fifteen percent of teens report obtaining the necessary 8 1/2 to 9 hours on a nightly basis, and this is frequently attributed to homework (

What I would like to address next are two theories. One is already implemented by the country of Finland, and the other is a proposition by former Texan senator, Ron Paul.

Finland. Statistically speaking, Finland is one of the most accomplished countries in the world in terms of education. "According to the OECD, Finnish students have the least amount of homework in the world. They average under half an hour of homework a night." ( Finish students are quite famous for their "More is less" tactic for educating students. In addition to less homework, they have imposed fewer school hours. This did not result in a national decrease in educational averages, rather, a drastic increase.

Here are some lists including Finish educational scores:
South Korea (1.30)
Japan (1.03)
Singapore (0.99)
Hong Kong (0.96)
Finland (0.92)
United Kingdom (0.67)
Canada (0.60)
Netherlands (0.58)
Ireland (0.51)
Poland (0.50)

The higher the decimal rating, the higher the overall score.

Finland is ranked 12th place in mathematics, fifth in science, and sixth in reading according to the 2013 PISA participation records.
The concept behind the Finish educational proposition is that a student may perform exceedingly better given the proper resources for learning, but by being unwillingly forced into a system for extended periods of time will interfere with results. This is similar to the theory: Eat enough, but not too much. If one does not eat, they starve. After the proper threshold, when the person continues to eat, they shall become obese. That obesity is hindering in the same way that the addition of homework is to school.

Due to lack of spacing on this argument, I shall continue my propositions in the next round as well as Ron Paul's educational theory. I ask that you only offer arguments in this round and save rebuttals for the fourth round. Please list your sources within the text or after (I have no preference). However, if you site them after, please refer to which section each source belongs. I look forward to your arguments, and again, I apologize for the delayed opening argument. Due to school and homework, it has taken me awhile to write and post them. I shall continue next round.

NateTheFirst forfeited this round.

As I ran out of space on the last post, I shall finish up here. Expect this one to be significantly shorter, however. It is a shame that my opponent has forfeited the round, but I shall continue on regardless.

I was mentioning Ron Paul's theory of education prior to this, but I never fully addressed it. ( In this video, both Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich speak concerning themselves with the American public education. Gingrich advocates for individualism in student learning, and Ron Paul for no Federal government intervention in the schooling. This does not particularly relate immediately to "homework", but it reinforces my point about the nature of schooling, and it is an offered solution to excessive government intervention in education. ( Here is another video which expressing Paul's ideology in more depth. He advocates for individualized learning with the resources of modern technology and the natural, student passion for learning (which is stripped from students in the current system). With resources such as YouTube and Wikipedia, student learning and homework can be redirected to personalized studies, following a broad curriculum of material. Students work at their own pace, with their own passions, with their own time, and in the end, there is no homework- no work to cut into their social learning.

I do apologize that my second statement is rather short, but again, this is just in addition to my prior arguments. I hope to see an argument from my opponent's side this next round.

NateTheFirst forfeited this round.

Well as my opponent has forfeited both rounds, I have no arguments to rebut.

NateTheFirst forfeited this round.

Well, I have already made my previous points quite clear.

NateTheFirst forfeited this round.
Posted by snkcake666 10 months ago
Wonderful, not this debate is glitched too.
Posted by snkcake666 11 months ago
I apologize if my arguments may appear mediocre. This is my first formal debate, so please, do not expect perfection.
Posted by snkcake666 11 months ago
*I would like to add, that I am implying that students should not be given homework by a schooling environment or teacher. If students wish to practice in their own time willingly, I believe they have ever right to.
Vote Placed by lannan13 10 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture