Taylorhall
AbandonedSpring

Should students have more rights in school?

Taylorhall

Pro

As a high school student, I find my rights being ignored quite often. For example, one of my teachers forces us to stand up and speak the pledge out loud every morning. I choose not to speak the pledge, but I still stand up out of respect. Some people choose not to stand up at all, and these people face constant ridicule from my teacher. Furthermore, freedom of expression is also limited in schools. I understand that schools are a place for education, and I am not an extremist, but I do believe that schools limit freedom of expression by placing restrictive dress codes. I have a hard time believing that me wearing a tank top is going to distract any student, male or female,and take away from their education. If it does, then their education is obviously not that important to them. Instead, I am sent home for the day because people are "distracted", so as a result I fall behind in my honors classes because I miss a day, while the students that I was "distracting" find other ways to waste their education. I think that big changes need to be made to the education system, and until they are made, children will continue to not succeed in the way they should be able to.
AbandonedSpring

Con

This is a brilliant debate, one which I intend to you supreme court cases to show that I, a student, feel like I have enough of my constitutional rights to feel safe in the school environment. Technically, we are entitled to all the amendments, just to a varying degree. However, this basically applies to everyone anyways. The constitution only protects your freedoms so long as they do not hurt others. You cannot not harass someone in the real world. I'm also assuming that you are talking about constitutional rights simply because what other rights do we have? The constitution covers basic human rights, and includes even more rights than the bare necessity.

Next, I would like to state that it has been stated by justices that "students and teachers do not shed their rights at the school house gate". We never loose amendments, they still apply. Just not as much. This is similar to how were not allowed to vote. Of course we are legal citizens, we just cannot enjoy all the perks yet. However, we are certainly not being wronged in any way. (See Tinker V. Des Moines)

I agree that it's wrong that you are sent home for all that, but even more I agree it's wrong that you know the dress code, and you chose to ignore it. I am a guy, and believe me, I am not missing anything if you decide to where that kind of shirt. More power to you, I do not dictate what you do or what you wear. However, the school has had a dress code in place for years, and you have known about it.

This is similar to the "Violation of the fourth amendment". Check out New Jersey V. T.L.O. The USSC ruled in favor of state, even though there was no warrant involved. The teacher who searched her purse knew something was going on, and put a stop to it. This student lose her rights, she just had to sacrifice a degree of her 4th amendment for the overall benefit of the student body.

Thank you, I have finished.
Taylorhall

Pro

Taylorhall forfeited this round.
AbandonedSpring

Con

Vote con!
Taylorhall

Pro

Taylorhall forfeited this round.
AbandonedSpring

Con

Vote Con!
Posted by Hank-o 2 years ago
Hank-o
No students shouldn't have more rights. Students have too much influence in the education system. I really feel bad for many of these teachers in bad schools. I can only imagine how it feels to spend 4 to 8 years at a university for teaching only to arrive at a school to argue with selfish little kids trying to start problems to look cool. Or complain to the principle about how they aren't allowed to dress slutty, use a cellphone in class, or come to school high. That really has to be depressing
Posted by PillarOfSalt 2 years ago
PillarOfSalt
It's actually illegal for anyone to force you to say the pledge of allegiance. There was a court case earlier this year, because a bunch of atheist sued Maerica and tried to get them to remove the part "under God". They did not achieve this but they did acheive a new federal law that says you don't have to stand up nor say it.
Posted by Buddahcall 2 years ago
Buddahcall
I Stand for the National Anthem, I do not stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. I did not sign up to fight a religious war, nor is America a Christian Nation. If you want to talk about things that will bring down this "ONCE" great nation. Let's look no further than our Foreign Policy. When we wipe out infrastructure to entire nations, like we did in Iraq, and women and children to die because they cant even find clean water to drink.................We make enemies, real enemies, like the kind who will take any measure necessary to take as many of us out as possible. Try to see through the eyes of these people in Iraq, and Afghanistan. Number 1 they are both winning, for even the superior fire power of the United States of America is no use against an enemy with no standing army that is against an invading force. We are no safer after 13 years losing a battle in the middle east. Where the hell do you think ISIS came from? Americans do this kind of crap all the time, first is was the CIA funding and training the Mujahideen and the Afghan Arabs, while offering tactical support for them to fight the Soviets, only when the Soviets began to advance the United States ducked out the back door and did not follow through with the support that we had offered, leading to 10's of Thousands of dead Arabs under Osama Bin Laden whom up until this point had been an asset of the United States. It was then that he declared Jihad against the west. Then we back the rebels in Syria offer them training and funding to fight Assad because Russia had already blocked us from putting boots on the ground in Syria. This leads to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, as now that the United States supposedly left Iraq, the Iraqi Government folded and joined the Islamic state taking all the american weapons and training the received from the states.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
budda.........Maybe a bit cantankerous. Just because I see things going on that will bring this great nation down. I do get a little pissy about that.And you not saluting the flag is a blemish on your service.Never had winning debates as a mission. Not all that impressed with it.Just giving my opinions, and not at all shy about them.The catholic thing, even a stopped watch is right twice a day.

Golden years. I am just getting warmed up.
Posted by Buddahcall 2 years ago
Buddahcall
Cheyennebodie, you cantankerous old fool you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Number 1. you clearly have no business calling anyone a moron when you have lost 14 out of 15 debates that you have participated in. Number 2 since I went to your profile to see what other trolling you have been up to, I noticed with your comment about "kissing the Pope's ring" that you are not all warm and fuzzy about the Catholics. Which is why I ask you, Why recite a pledge of allegiance that resulted from a Catholic fraternal order (Knights of Columbus) in 1954? I am 34 years old and I do not recite the pledge either, nor do I stand. I, interestingly enough even served in the Army. Can't you find anything better to do with your Golden Years than name calling? Clearly you are not great at debating Mr. 1 in 15.

Taylorhall, In my humble opinion, you should be free to make your stand when it comes to issues such as whether or not to stand for the Pledge, I would only suggest that you have all the facts before choosing not to (or to for that matter). Throw the facts in your teachers face, and only then will you win. As for dress code, they are generally in place for a reason, not saying it is you but someone will always screw it up for everybody, we get dress codes in the real world as well, with out them in a high school, some jerk would come in rockin all red or all blue waving there hands like they know what they are doing, or some Emo chick would show up wearing Fishnet Stalkings and way too short of skirt. Try not to take it personally, you only have a couple more years and your live becomes your to live, your to mess up or yours to flourish. Keep your head up.