Katy.O
Truman

Should students have to wear uniforms?

Katy.O

Con

Students should not be forced to wear school uniforms. With uniforms children cannot express their uniqueness. Some parents cannot afford uniforms. So if a student does not have a uniform, will they be suspended? You cannot take away a child's right to free education just because they were not wearing the uniform that their parents can't afford.
Truman

Pro

To start off I was forced to wear a student uniform since I started school till the age of 16. From the age of 11 to 16 our uniform for males consisted of black shoes, black/grey (preferably black) trousers, a blue/white shirt, a school tie and a blazer with the schools crest on the left breast pocket. I should also state that I went to a British comprehensive school.

School uniform in my country is very cheap; specialist shops provide local uniforms for students at cheap prices. Big supermarket brands such as Asda released a range of student uniforms where some item cost as little as "1. Which to the parents of these children was a godsend. As any parent will tell you children grow fast. You pay "40 for a decent pair of non branded jeans and the kid will grow out of it by the next year or even worse may ruin them within the course of a week. Whereas uniform was so cheap that if you ripped a shirt it could be replaced cheaply. For the price of a "unique look" you could have a uniform for every day of the week plus change. That said those families who had no money at all were provided uniforms by the school. These children may of been mocked by their peers for wearing horrible clothes but because everyone wore the same uniform nobody cared. Uniforms will never stunt a teens way to express their uniqueness. In some ways uniforms may protect kids from peer bullying because of their unique choice of wardrobe.

All in all if the school can not provide uniforms to those students who can not afford it then no, schools should not be able to take away the right to free education because you are unable to buy the uniform. If the school provided a uniform to those unable to pay for it, then yes, schools should be able to punish students for no uniform without good reason. Suspension seems quite extreme.

So the conclusion is yes. Student should wear uniforms. Looks smart, removes the hassle of wardrobe issues and also promotes a school unity.
Katy.O

Con

My school has uniforms as well. They do not provide the uniforms. I see a lot of kids who wear the EXACT same shirt everyday, because they cannot afford more uniforms. "As any parent will tell you children grow fast" So children will not grow out of uniforms? Uniforms are a waste of money if you only wear them to school. Uniforms are just more outfits that parents must buy for their children. At my school if we do not show up to school in full uniform then they send us to A.L.C (alternative learning center) then they proceed into suspending us. (we where debating in school and thank you so very much for not saying that uniforms stop bullying, because then I would have to go into a whole other topic about "no facts")
Truman

Pro

Truman forfeited this round.
Katy.O

Con

Katy.O forfeited this round.
Truman

Pro

Truman forfeited this round.
Katy.O

Con

Katy.O forfeited this round.
Truman

Pro

Truman forfeited this round.
Katy.O

Con

Katy.O forfeited this round.
Truman

Pro

Truman forfeited this round.