Happyfaceemoji
Now_you_do

Should students in elementary school be able to bring a phone to school?

Happyfaceemoji
Started: 2/17/2016 Category: Economics

Happyfaceemoji

Pro

I think that students in school should be able to use phones. I know a school that has a phone right next to the office to call parents, and there is always a LONG line for it. I also think bus trips become dull and boring. Also, most schools are, seven hours long and students need a REST!!! I think it would be easier for studying too, because contacting parents would be easier, if a study group wanted to come together. Students should be required to put their devices inside of cubbies/lockers, during academic time.
Now_you_do

Con

I think that phones should be allowed in school, but should be put away all day. Not only are phones distractions, but they can cause kids to try to skip class, leave school to text, etc. It's a huge problem at most public schools and some private schools. Overall, kids tend to be less educated and not as overall intelligent at public schools, and that usually means less self-control. Making it easier for kids to do bad things is not the right way to go. Most kids in our age (which I highly disagree with) use social media, like Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, Snap chat, etc. Letting kids use their phones in school would give them more time to access these websites/apps.
Going to your point that school bus rides on field trips is completely irrelevant. Making field trip rides more fun is a minuscule part of a more large problem of education. In school, we want our children to be more engaged, more interactive with others, not staring at a screen all day.
Happyfaceemoji

Pro

Phones in school can also help students, especially on researching a topic. The computers that students use can be affectant because of the screen space. Also, the school is spending more money on printers, copy machines, and food for the cafeteria. This can lead to biggers schools with extra education for students with diseases that cause failure. Also, there has been many arguments that public schools should be paid for too, because of expensive resources, like computers. This can fix that problem by the parents paying for the cell phones. It can also allow more contact with friends in different schools, and especially with parents. if an emergency were to come up, you would need immediate contact with your parent. Over all, I think that students have the option to chose it, and I think bringing a phone to school SHOULD become something allowed in elementary school.
Now_you_do

Con

You are saying that Phones should be allowed in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL? Middle school is debatable, but elementary school is a joke. I mean, if your in elementary school, your probaly 10 or younger. Most kids arnet responsible to have a phone total. Kis should use phones to study, but that is why it is allowed in most highschools, because kids are much more adult like. Even though it would be nice for kids to study with their own devices, most kids would just jer around and play games, look at porn (I'm not joking), or text friends. It would cause distraction and more ways for kids to not learn. Your arguement: "The computers that students use can be affectant because of the screen space" is stupid. I really don't understand that point at all. Other reasons not to bring a cell phone is (Especially not in elementary school):

1. Cell phones are a distraction – The students use short message service (SMS) and not everyone remember to turn off their phone during class.
    1. Cheating – Students can share information during exams. They can also store any information they want on their cellular phone.
    1. Invasion of privacy – Camera phones are very popular, and they are sometimes used in an inappropriate way in schools, for example in bathrooms.
    1. Harassment – Text messaging is used as a form of harrasment or bullying.
    1. Stealing – Mobile phones are usually worth over $100 and not every family can afford to buy one for their children. These two factors often lead to cell phone theft.

The main point is, most people say "they can be used for educationally purposes". KEY WORD "CAN". They can be, but most students are not responsible enought at a young age to control themself. Your avoiding the bad things, saying only the things that kids CAN DO. The truth is, the mostly like WON'T, especially in lementary school. So stopping saying kids CAN, and start saying somethings that kids WILL DO. CONSISTENLY. You cannot say kids won't play games, or kids won't try to cheat.
Happyfaceemoji

Pro

I believe that students CAN be distracted by screen's in school, but I also think it can become useful, and it can help with learning skills, IF teachers put a limit on the screens, the phones can be useful for looking up things, communication with family, and for free time.
PHONES IN SCHOOL ARE USEFUL FOR-

1.) Communication. Lets say another elementary school was under attack, and teachers couldn't communicate, students would be able to communicate with parents or an emergency line.

2.) Last minute emergencies. I find myself in this situation a lot, I need to get with a study group, I need someone to take me to soccer or choirs, I need to reach out to a friend or family member to take me.

3.) They save a lot of school money. When a student has a phone, the parents pay for it. The extra money, (Usually spent on chrome books or other computers) can be used to make the schools bigger, make education better, and afford schools for students with a disability.

4.) They are good for studding. This can encourage in-school learning, and with the apps downloaded in school, students can practice with them at home. For an example, your board at home, and all your other apps are "boring," they would immediately head for the educational app.
Now_you_do

Con

Now_you_do forfeited this round.
Happyfaceemoji

Pro

Happyfaceemoji forfeited this round.
Now_you_do

Con

Now_you_do forfeited this round.
Posted by Linkstart 1 year ago
Linkstart
I think that students in school should be able to use phones. I know a school that has a phone right next to the office to call parents, and there is always a LONG line for it.

1.Teachers usually allow you to use your phone if the line gets to long

I also think bus trips become dull and boring.

2.Phones are allowed on the bus.

Also, most schools are, seven hours long and students need a REST!!!

3.Elementary schools do give time to rest.

I think it would be easier for studying too, because contacting parents would be easier, if a study group wanted to come together.

4.You went all over the place there bud. The study group could give each other numbers then use there phones later. The studying thing is kind of eh to me. That is true.

Students should be required to put their devices inside of cubbies/lockers, during academic time.

5.Thats already done.
Vote Placed by famousdebater 11 months ago
famousdebater
HappyfaceemojiNow_you_doTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited more.