VictoriaHutt.16
Deathwolf

Should students in or under 8th grade have to wear a uniform to school?

VictoriaHutt.16 has forfeited round #3.
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

VictoriaHutt.16

Con

Round one: acceptance
Round 2: introduction- please include a thesis statement and your introduce your three reasons to back up your thesis statement.
Rounds 3-5: reasons and evidence explained- citations are not necessary, this is a casual debate (must be typed under 3,000 characters)

This debate is sort of in a 5 paragraph essay format, but without the conclusion. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me. Good luck to whoever accepts this debate!
Deathwolf

Pro

I accept and wish Con the best of luck as well!

However there is a clarification that needs to be addressed before the debate goes ahead.

Con does not specifically state any particular type of uniform to be worn by students in question, only that students need wear a uniform to school. For the sake of clarity I will suggest that this debate addresses uniforms set out by schools, i.e. School Uniforms. Con can choose to accept this clarification or put forward her own.

Thus, my position on this topic as I understand it will be: "Students in or under 8th grade should have to wear a school uniform to school, as prescribed by the school being attended," and Con's position will be the negation of mine. We can discuss this in the comments such that Con does not have to waste valuable argument space clearing up this issue.

Apologies for being pedantic but if we can clear this up, that would be great. I look forward to debating this issue with Con!
VictoriaHutt.16

Con

Introduction
I believe students in or under 8th grade should not be required to wear school uniforms to school. First of all, a dress code sets the standards for what is appropriate and what is not appropriate, leaving a student the freedom to select their own outfit with confidence. Secondly, requiring a school uniform restricts the potential creativity in students, which may lead to a delay in the transition to adulthood. And finally, school uniforms add another expense to the parent"s paycheck on top of the regular clothes parents have to buy for their students for weekends, after school hours, and dress down days. In conclusion, I believe school uniforms have more of a negative impact on students than a positive impact.
Deathwolf

Pro

My thesis and position for this debate will be:

Students in the 8th grade and grades under should wear a uniform, as prescribed by the school authority, to school at all times during school hours.

My arguments for this position are as follows:

1.School uniforms prevent students from being otherwise judged based on the quality of their attire, if not attired in school uniform.
2.School uniforms allow for the quick and easy identification of students from the particular school in question. (NB: this only occurs if said uniform policy is judiciously upheld at the school in question - though this is outside the scope of the debate.)
3.School uniforms are a symbol of pride for the school and are reflective of traditional school values on which both public and private schools have been designed, particularly the themes of cohort education and student equality.

I will expand on these arguments in later rounds.
Posted by Deathwolf 9 months ago
Deathwolf
This is a shame; I was hoping my first debate would end on a good note. I will try and extend if the debate allows me to; otherwise, apologies to all reading.
Posted by Deathwolf 9 months ago
Deathwolf
@Victoria.Hutt post something! You have less than 10 hours left!
Posted by Deathwolf 9 months ago
Deathwolf
Interestingly enough, here in australia school uniforms are mandatory for all public and private high schools, save a few which get to fly under the radar" and everyone literally couldn't care less. I can't relate as to why americans are so poised against them" is it something to do with the type of uniform?
Posted by atjacobmajor 9 months ago
atjacobmajor
As someome who had uniforms from 2nd through 8th grade I can say, that they are, in every way awful. They are expensive, people will still make fun of you if you are wearing a Walmart shirt, and they just in general have no point and make your school look like a military acadamy. At my current school I have a "strict dress code" and I love it! No sweatpants and t-shirts so you get to look cool and fancy without being made fun of + there is still plenty of outfit freedom and you can wear these clothes outside of school!
Posted by What50 9 months ago
What50
Why 8th grade and under exactly?
Posted by Deathwolf 9 months ago
Deathwolf
Not a problem:) glad we could clear that up!
Posted by VictoriaHutt.16 9 months ago
VictoriaHutt.16
@deathwolf I did set the elo ranking, yes. Also, thanks for clarifying what I meant by uniforms. Your definition will work just fine! Thanks for accepting the debate and I wish you the best of luck. :-) feel free to message me with questions.
Posted by Deathwolf 9 months ago
Deathwolf
Nevermind! However I see that there are likely a few semantics that need to be cleared up before we get into the heat of the debate, so I'll address these in my round 1 acceptance post.
Posted by Deathwolf 9 months ago
Deathwolf
@VictoriaHutt did you set the elo restriction manually or was it done automatically? Interesting debate topic... but this would be my first, and thus I don't have an elo ranking yet...