UnderwoodF
Shouq

Should students learn about religion in public schools?

UnderwoodF

Con

I think that students should not learn about religion in public schools because:
1) teachers in this schools could be biased.
2) some students will find learning Christianity unappropriated because they have different believes.
3) If such subject will be added in school curriculum, students should learn about all religions in the world to increase their knowledge.
Shouq

Pro

I disagree in your point of view as I believe that religious studies should be a part of every curriculum becouse:
1) Religion plays a big role in history, literature and current events world wide.
2) People are getting misconceptions about the purpose of some religions, in the long term these misconceptions may lead the student who follow the religion to get bullied. Therefore, these misconceptions must be cleared to provident such violence to happen amount students.
3) Religion helps improve students psychologically as students need to believe in something greater to push them forward.

citation:
For the first point : "https://www.onfaith.co...;
For the third point: "http://www.deseretnews.com...;
UnderwoodF

Con

I completely disagree with your 3 point.
I am not sure that the source you are using is reliable. (The data is taken from the news article.) To prove this point there should be something more than a news article. For example a global research made by neutral specialists.

By saying "...students need to believe in something greater" are you sure than all of them want to believe in something.
Another ways, by adding this program you are forcing students to become religious.
Your first point make sense and I agree with your statement about history and literature , but do you think that students and parents, of one religion are willing to learn about another one that has nothing common with their religion.
And if you are talking about adding this program, is it going to be useful in public religious schools?
Shouq

Pro

citation:
UnderwoodF

Con

I can agree with your statement, about multi religion class, but you still didn't answer my question about bias teachers. By teaching religion history you should show advantages and Disadvantages of certain religions.
I think that students should learn more about laws, economics, or even study the constitution, stuff that will be really useful in their future. If student wants to learn about religion, he can do it by his own on free time.
Shouq

Pro

First of all to answer your question, teachers who would have to teach this course should have an acknowledged diploma in this area of study and must stick to the content of the book. Therefore, teachers teaching biased information would not happen as that would be out of the class's topic.

I do agree in your point of teaching students subjects such as laws or economics as they are important and a lot people tend to study them more often than religious studies. However, I believe that world relgion class is as important as it has many advantages that I've listed above.
UnderwoodF

Con

You agreed with my point about adding law and economics subjects, but you still think that religious studies are important and should be a part of students schedule. Doesn't make any sense, because you can not add both subjects, or do you think that public schools should increase the school hours? Good luck then.
Here we are coming back to the point that a lot of public-religious schools will disagree with this program. By adding this program you should add it in ALL schools.
Shouq

Pro

I do not agree that school hours should be extended, however , they can be provided as 1 year mandatory graduation class in high school. As well as I do think the class should be taught in all public schools.