jacinda00
HauntedShadows

Should students who do not try in school be kicked out?

jacinda00

Pro

Students who do not try should get kicked out of school. It would make room for other students who do want to learn. Also teachers would not waste their time trying to get the students who refuse to learn to try.
HauntedShadows

Con

Students who do not try should not be kicked out of school. There should be different protocols in place for such students, but this does not mean they should be kicked out. For example, all the students who don't 'try' could be put in a class together where alternative, motivational teaching methods are in place.

It can be difficult to differentiate between students who do not try, as opposed to those who are either unable (a), or those who struggle with a certain topic/subject (b).

a) Only 8% of all disabled people in the UK use wheelchairs[1]. Only slightly more than that are 'visibly disabled'. That still leaves an overwhelming majority of people who have disabilities which are not visible. Learning disabilities are one of these categories. There are still quite an alarming number of people who don't know they have a learning disability, and so such a thing wouldn't be on any school records, and therefore the teacher/s wouldn't know either. If someone were to have a learning disability nobody knew they had, it could come across as them (the student) just being lazy, or stupid.

b) Everyone has their own talents; different people are better at different things, and so not everyone will be able to cope with, say, algebra as well as others. Just because they haven't answered as many questions as people who fully understand/are good at it does not mean they haven't tried. So is it right that we kick these students out?

I am not saying that all students who look like they are not trying have either a learning disability or struggles with that subject; it is just food for thought.

"It would make room for other students who do want to learn"
I'll agree with you on this, because its a very logical idea. If you have 10 students in a class, and remove 3, you can put 3 more back in to get the previous total. Effectively, 10 - 3 + 3 = 10, which once simplified, equates to 10 = 10, which is true.

"Also teachers would not waste their time trying to get the students who refuse to learn to try."
Firstly, let me share some definitions:

Learn: Gain/Acquire knowledge.
Try:
Make an attempt/effort to do something
Refuse: Indicate/show that one is not willing to do something.

Just because they (the students) refuse to try, does not mean they are immune from persuasion. Whilst in some cases (in which the student/s are not persuaded easily) it may have a detrimental effect on the education of the rest of the class, a brief talk from the teacher may yield immediate results. This quick chat between student and teacher would have no more of an impact than the teacher leaving briefly for a phone call, or the teacher leaving briefly to make a cup of tea, both of which do occur in schools.

I look forward to our continued debate!

Sources: [1]: http://www.papworth.org.uk...
jacinda00

Pro

The students who do not want to be at school or even want to learn should be kicked out. They are taking up valuable room in schools. This room could be used by the students who actually want to learn and try. These students Who do not want to learn are polluting the educational atmosphere for those who want to learn.
HauntedShadows

Con

I'm afraid all you've done in RD2 is repeat yourself.

1) "Students who do not try should get kicked out of school." = "The students who do not want to be at school or even want to learn should be kicked out."

Effectively the same, apart from your slight change in language:

"do not try" --> "do not want"

The dictionary definition of 'want' is as follows: "Have a desire to possess or do." This is different to try; I showed before that try means to make an attempt or effort to do something.

You may want to learn, but do not try due to a number of external factors. I won't go into too much detail, but the said student could well want to learn, but does not try as he is distracted about home life. Perhaps his mother is being abused, or she may even abuse him/her. I do not believe that whether or not a student has a 'good' or 'bad' home life is sufficient grounds for a student to be kicked out of their educational institution.

2) "It would make room for other students who do want to learn." = "They are taking up valuable room in schools. This room could be used by the students who actually want to learn and try."

Again, this is another repeat of what you said in RD1, where I already answered this. As of yet, you have given me nothing else to add!

Again, your points are no different from RD1 to RD2, and so I struggled to find anything new to add.

I look forward to the final round of this debate!
jacinda00

Pro

jacinda00 forfeited this round.
HauntedShadows

Con

My opponent has forfeited this round. As such I shall not add any more arguments, I hope you enjoyed the debate!
Posted by MarcusAurelius 3 years ago
MarcusAurelius
Interesting debate. Personally I agree with the fact that people who don't try in school should probably be kicked out. If they're not willing to learn and prepare for the obstacles of life, they best leave for others that want to succeed. In addition, I believe that they are the only ones that can truly motivate themselves to learn. When teachers or parents alarm them that if they don't try in school, they will fail; the student will not receive any shock or feeling or remorse of not trying earlier. I feel that the only way that the student can feel the consequences is if he/she feels it him/herself and that would be too late by then. I recall years ago in a class when I was in middle school, the teacher was trying very hard for the students to succeed. The big majority of the class were instigators and often talked in class. As a result of their socializing, they didn't get good grades and the teacher like I said earlier, wanted to change that. However, I thought that the students were just trying to save their own butts when giving feedback to make the class better. And besides, her efforts to attempt to make the class succeed is an unrealistic simulation to life as well. No one will be there to help a person if he/she is older and is in poverty because of laziness in school. You either learn it or you don't, my take on it.